MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting Price Estimates

You’ve probably gotten all you need from folks on here already, but I thought I would give you my playbook coming from Virginia for your reference. Here is the rough budget I work off for a Montana hunt:

License - $1,100 (combo tag)
Gas/Tolls - $750 (total, if more people, split the cost)
Food/Drink - $100/person
Lodging - $60/night (estimated could be more could be less depending on what you want to pay for. I figure at least one night in a bed somewhere to shower and recover, but if you are not going backcountry or staying in a camper, there is a lot to be said for finding an AirBnB and sleeping in a bed each night. If funds are tight this is probably the easiest cost to cut by sleeping in tent/truck.)
Gear/Incidentals - $200 (similar to the previous post about adding 10%, I plan a couple hundred bucks for trip specific gear/incidentals)

Going solo-diy on public land I figure minimum $2,000-$2,500. You’re looking at 2 days driving there-5 days hunting-3 days driving back. If the season/schedule allows then you have two weekends in there and you are taking 6 days off work. Adding just one more person cuts your cost/person down to $1,700-$2,100 and you can hunt for two more days because the drive can be made straight through by rotating drivers often. (I have done this three times with only 1-2 other people in the car. 5-hour energies and run laps around the truck while gassing up)

If the budget is still tight and you want a little higher chance of success consider the suggestion of cow tags. Skipping the combo hunt in Montana and focusing solely on elk you could do Wyoming or Colorado for about $400 less. Idaho is also less for the tag, but adds more mileage and time to the drive.

Thank you so much you don't know how much that helped me!! everyone on this thread has been so helpful I couldn't ask for any more information! I have all I need and plus some! you input was printed out for my file haha! Airbnb would be nice one or 2 nights (im funny about my showers)! plan on sleeping in truck/ tent weather permitting most the time im out! prolly going with the cow tag first to get some experience under my belt!

This cannot be overstated. Don't drive tired, especially by yourself. Our drive will about 36 hours each way and we're planning to do it in two 18 hour days between 3 drivers. Two 6 hour shifts each and trying to catch +/- 6 hours of sleep at night.

I agree safety first! I know I personally can do a 8 hour drive easy and my buddy can go 6. prolly stop and get a good sleep close to the hunting area and then hit it hard for as long as possible and do the same before we start the drive back! I tend to turn music all the way up and drink cold water non stop and pee in my gallon jug! lol

I wish, lol. Mostly it's just because there are three of us to split the group costs like gas. If my sister doesn't end up going (which is a possibility) my costs go up to +/- $2,000. Thanks for your support!
Welcome! Having extra people definitely helps with a long drive.

that Colorado tag might be worth me looking into! that sounds great! North Carolina boys haha love this state but its not got much good hunting...
It’s a decent place to live but unless you duck hunt or have family with farm land it’s not much good. I’m about 45 minutes east of Charlotte close to the Uwharrie mountains but over the last few years I’ve lost all but one spot for deer and it’s really archery only and my duck spot just went up for sale so most of my hunting will be out west now.

It’s a decent place to live but unless you duck hunt or have family with farm land it’s not much good. I’m about 45 minutes east of Charlotte close to the Uwharrie mountains but over the last few years I’ve lost all but one spot for deer and it’s really archery only and my duck spot just went up for sale so most of my hunting will be out west now.

I've always been a bit curious why so many people are willing to spend $2k to come out west to hunt mule deer, but have never even tried to back pack hunt their home state... I mean sure back east is more crowded, less deer, etc. but NC has 2.1 million acres of public land... what gives?

Similarly, New Hampshire doesn't even have regulations about meat care because the idea of killing a deer further than dragging distance from a road is completely unheard of...just seems like there is a ton of cheap, local hunting opportunities that many overlook.

I've seen plenty of guys from back east come out west and hang their tag on a forky, and when you talk to them they have never hunted public land at home... and while I'm completely ignorant of hunting back east I can't imagine you can't find a forky to shoot on public land in Arkansas.

man your so right! im lucky to live in the eastern part of the state in Bath. lots of farm land and im lucky to have grown up on a decent sized farm with land in bath and pinetown good for deer hunting! im lucky to have a couple swamps I can shoot woodys in and I am close to the water so I do some open water hunts in hyde county as well. if you ever get the itch to hunt closer to home get up with me and id be more than happy to let you come try your luck in the woods on my land!

I've always been a bit curious why so many people are willing to spend $2k to come out west to hunt mule deer, but have never even tried to back pack hunt their home state... I mean sure back east is more crowded, less deer, etc. but NC has 2.1 million acres of public land... what gives?

Similarly, New Hampshire doesn't even have regulations about meat care because the idea of killing a deer further than dragging distance from a road is completely unheard of...just seems like there is a ton of cheap, local hunting opportunities that many overlook.

I've seen plenty of guys from back east come out west and hang their tag on a forky, and when you talk to them they have never hunted public land at home... and while I'm completely ignorant of hunting back east I can't imagine you can't find a forky to shoot on public land in Arkansas.

Your right a lot of people don't even try in their home state! I have been hunting public land in NC for 3 years now only once or twice a year and only have seen 2 bucks and a handful of does. i haven't even killed a deer on public land...i have standards lol. and out of the 2 bucks only 1 was a shooter to me and I jumped him 15 yards in front of me and pulled up to shoot...and all i see in the distance is a truck comming down and adjacent path thru the trees....just to dangerous with so many peoplle in the woods...ive seen more people in the woods than at Walmart on a Saturday. the problem in NC to me is, the thickness of the woods...even in the middle of October its still very thick and you cant see 20 yards in front of you. mostly still hunting and stand hunting. ive tried all approaches trust me...but between people crowding you and low deer population and the thickness of the woods...its more frustrating than anything. I have farm land I hunt at home and I still spot and stalk my deer bc that my favorite way to hunt, hence my desire to go out west....and the open land. also the public land is either in small blocks that are crowded or its very rough steep county that whitetails don't spend time in.

In a way I think it’s the adventure aspect of it. They watch tv shows where guys hunt Montana , Idaho, Colorado , Alaska etc. The media almost never publicizes hunting in the east so it doesn’t strike people as being a big adventure and almost seems boring. Deer in NC for the most part are a recent thing say last 15 years. I live in central NC and up till late 90s we didn’t even have a huntable population but now they are overpopulated. There is a lot of public land here though. You are right about that and me and my brother are planning to go public land for black bears in the fall here in our home state. As for why a guy would drive all the way out west to shoot a forky idk man. I’ve shot one muley and it was a 4x4 or 5x5 depending on how you count eye guards. I have passed up every fork horn I saw for over 10 years and I sure wouldn’t shoot one all the way out there. If guys do it’s fine but not worth my time. Don’t feel like I’m really matching wits with something when it’s basically a juvenile animal and I’d rather come home empty handed than shoot one unless I was desperate for me and no one drives cross country because they are desperate for meat. I think another thing that attracts easterners to parts of the west is the wide open spaces. A lot of eastern public land is heavily wooded. There is very few open meadows or treeless areas. In the east basically all the open land is farmed in corn, wheat, and soybeans and the public land is all heavily timbered where most shots are well under 100 yards. I think the idea of being able to shoot at an animal that is spot and stalk vs sit and wait appeals to easterners. I know I enjoy the big open spaces more than heavily forested areas but I hunt where I can when I’m not out west.

In a way I think it’s the adventure aspect of it. They watch tv shows where guys hunt Montana , Idaho, Colorado , Alaska etc. The media almost never publicizes hunting in the east so it doesn’t strike people as being a big adventure and almost seems boring. Deer in NC for the most part are a recent thing say last 15 years. I live in central NC and up till late 90s we didn’t even have a huntable population but now they are overpopulated. There is a lot of public land here though. You are right about that and me and my brother are planning to go public land for black bears in the fall here in our home state. As for why a guy would drive all the way out west to shoot a forky idk man. I’ve shot one muley and it was a 4x4 or 5x5 depending on how you count eye guards. I have passed up every fork horn I saw for over 10 years and I sure wouldn’t shoot one all the way out there. If guys do it’s fine but not worth my time. Don’t feel like I’m really matching wits with something when it’s basically a juvenile animal and I’d rather come home empty handed than shoot one unless I was desperate for me and no one drives cross country because they are desperate for meat. I think another thing that attracts easterners to parts of the west is the wide open spaces. A lot of eastern public land is heavily wooded. There is very few open meadows or treeless areas. In the east basically all the open land is farmed in corn, wheat, and soybeans and the public land is all heavily timbered where most shots are well under 100 yards. I think the idea of being able to shoot at an animal that is spot and stalk vs sit and wait appeals to easterners. I know I enjoy the big open spaces more than heavily forested areas but I hunt where I can when I’m not out west.

exactly! you are a true easterner haha bc you hit the nail on the head! ive spent way to much time sitting in one spot for hours on end...spot and stalk is so much more fulfilling imo.

man your so right! im lucky to live in the eastern part of the state in Bath. lots of farm land and im lucky to have grown up on a decent sized farm with land in bath and pinetown good for deer hunting! im lucky to have a couple swamps I can shoot woodys in and I am close to the water so I do some open water hunts in hyde county as well. if you ever get the itch to hunt closer to home get up with me and id be more than happy to let you come try your luck in the woods on my land!
Thanks man I appreciate that offer. I think we were close to you back in December. My brother and I and one other guy hunted a couple days on the Pamlico Sound coming out of Engelhard. We shot a bunch of buffleheads, bluebill, and a few other coastal ducks.

exactly! you are a true easterner haha bc you hit the nail on the head! ive spent way to much time sitting in one spot for hours on end...spot and stalk is so much more fulfilling imo.
Yea man. It’s hard to stay in one spot all day. Every squirrel gets to sounding like a Boone and Crockett buck coming up from behind your tree lol

I live in central NC and up till late 90s we didn’t even have a huntable population but now they are overpopulated. There is a lot of public land here though. You are right about that and me and my brother are planning to go public land for black bears in the fall here in our home state.

Hell yeah! Just seems like even with all the roads you could probably slog your way into a holler? (word choice) that takes a couple of hours to get to on foot set up a stand and then tent camp 30min walk away. Just seems like the eastern forest is a very cool place to explore.

Thanks man I appreciate that offer. I think we were close to you back in December. My brother and I and one other guy hunted a couple days on the Pamlico Sound coming out of Engelhard. We shot a bunch of buffleheads, bluebill, and a few other coastal ducks.

oh yea man Engelhard is about 45 mins from me!! nothing but agriculture land haha but don't hesitate to take that offer in the coming years! hunters got to look out for one another! good luck on the black bear hunt, biggest black bear in the states are found right in hyde county!

You're not wrong about guys not backpack hunting or fully utilizing public land here in the east, but the motivation for hunting out west is not just to get a big one or have more opportunity. I will shoot a forky mule deer out there and may not at home because
1. I made a trip and am not going home empty handed,
2. I came for the opportunity to hunt a different species in a different place and landscape,
3. I came to hunt a different style of hunting

The other thing to realize is that hunting whitetails in an eastern national forest is a lot different than many places in the west. Think of it more like the timber country in the pacific northwest. There is no such thing as spot and stalk in most of the eastern public lands. The closest thing I have experienced may be setting up on a power or gas line where I can see a 50 yard wide clearing for 600 yards.

Hell yeah! Just seems like even with all the roads you could probably slog your way into a holler? (word choice) that takes a couple of hours to get to on foot set up a stand and then tent camp 30min walk away. Just seems like the eastern forest is a very cool place to explore.

the grass aint always greener haha but feel free to come hunt on my land anytime you get this way! ive been doing it for years so it may have lost a little tiny bit of shine but im still thankful for every day I get to hunt...even if I have to crawl thru thick brush and hot weather. the hot weather during the deer season is another huge turn off for me personally. thermocell is your bible out here

the grass aint always greener haha but feel free to come hunt on my land anytime you get this way! ive been doing it for years so it may have lost a little tiny bit of shine but im still thankful for every day I get to hunt...even if I have to crawl thru thick brush and hot weather. the hot weather during the deer season is another huge turn off for me personally. thermocell is your bible out here

I have a couple of bucket list public land east coast hunts, whitetail, turkey, sika deer, flooded timber ducks. My wife and I may end up moving out that way so I might get my chance.

oh yea man Engelhard is about 45 mins from me!! nothing but agriculture land haha but don't hesitate to take that offer in the coming years! hunters got to look out for one another! good luck on the black bear hunt, biggest black bear in the states are found right in hyde county!
I appreciate it. Yea Hyde County has some huge bears.

I have a couple of bucket list public land east coast hunts, whitetail, turkey, sika deer, flooded timber ducks. My wife and I may end up moving out that way so I might get my chance.

we got plenty of all species on your bucket list that's for sure! sitkas I think are more north than where I am but a few farms have some that they release to be hunted on big farms

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back