Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting Price Estimates

I know this probably wont go over well with some of the senior members, but I have searched the internet top to bottom and its hard to get a good estimate on how much money I would have to put into and elk hunt on Montana public land. I live in North Carolina and have never done an out of state hunt before. I can obviously estimate plane tickets and rental truck, food, housing (camping). but I must be missing something when I look for non resident over the counter tags and a non resident hunting license. the Montana fish and wildlife page is very vague about non resident hunting. the best info I've found is from Randy's show. Any info on that would be very helpful as I have to plan this out almost 2 years in advance. and if anyone has gone from NC to Montana to hunt elk, what was your overall costs? my research leads me to believe it would cost me around 2500 for absolutely everything. ( being safe) I know it might seem like a lazy question but I have spent hours and hours searching and printing off information. I'm looking at the Custer national forest area. Absolutely any kind of help is much appreciated and ill do all I can to return the favor. open to tips and suggestions. I'm here to learn and to hunt. I need help from actual hunters that have been there done that! thanks guys I love this forum so much its a wealth of knowledge up here!

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.
Theodore Roosevelt

License, tag, fuel, plus whatever gear you decide to buy. I’m going to eat whether I’m at home or on the road. I’m going to grab a couple soft drinks from a convenience store whether I’m at home or on the road. I take my food, and camp, so it’s really just those costs. Last year my NM elk cost me about $800. I don’t live too far away drove almost none once I got there, and I drew a tag that was not Q/HD so the tag was cheaper. I also split the license three ways because I drew a deer tag and javelina tag as well. For the deer I ended up in a unit with zero accessible BLM so I spent a few nights in hotels and in a state park in an adjacent unit. I ended up burning through a ton of fuel and kinda blowing my budget at nearly $1000 despite the much cheaper tag.

You have a longer drive and prices are higher in MT.

License, tag, fuel, plus whatever gear you decide to buy. I’m going to eat whether I’m at home or on the road. I’m going to grab a couple soft drinks from a convenience store whether I’m at home or on the road. I take my food, and camp, so it’s really just those costs. Last year my NM elk cost me about $800. I don’t live too far away drove almost none once I got there, and I drew a tag that was not Q/HD so the tag was cheaper. I also split the license three ways because I drew a deer tag and javelina tag as well. For the deer I ended up in a unit with zero accessible BLM so I spent a few nights in hotels and in a state park in an adjacent unit. I ended up burning through a ton of fuel and kinda blowing my budget at nearly $1000 despite the much cheaper tag.

You have a longer drive and prices are higher in MT.

Thanks for the reply man! I really want to go to Montana so I know ill have some money in plane tickets...the non resident big game hunting license is what's stumping me...and the tag would be an over the counter surplus tag if I'm lucky and early enough. I think the license would cost around 800?? maybe Im wrong idk. I wish there was more info out there but I cant find any for the life of me!

Really depends, in general the more uncomfortable/logistics work you are willing to do the cheaper any hunting trip becomes. All NR tags are a draw, see the MT website for details, if you drive and camp along the way cook all your meals, do meat and trophy prep yourself (euro), I think you could do it all in for $1500.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nonresidentCombo.html

Looks like $905 for elk or $1,065 for deer and elk. There is no true OTC option for non-residents in Montana.

well I feel kinda dumb haha this whole time I didn't realize the license to hunt prices were for everyone not just residence...the "come to hunt" license threw me off! and if there is no true OTC tags, what would you suggest if I want to hunt public land cheap as possible but without going somewhere that the success rate is 2% lol. i know I sound like a noob but hearing suggestions from you guys gives me a lot more information than a website...thanks buddy!!

Really depends, in general the more uncomfortable/logistics work you are willing to do the cheaper any hunting trip becomes. All NR tags are a draw, see the MT website for details, if you drive and camp along the way cook all your meals, do meat and trophy prep yourself (euro), I think you could do it all in for $1500.

Good point about cooking my own meals and the mount! and I don't mind sleeping in my truck I just want to make sure legally im in line with tags and license! thanks for the help!

About $1,100.00 for a Combo tag..and they are sold out I believe for 2019 season .
Maybe try Colorado, we did a long time ago and had a blast !

MT.PERCHMAN

Yea im really looking to make all this happen in 2020 or 2021. I heard Colorado was expensive and kinda hard to get tags for? of course ive only heard that and you have done it so who am I to know lol!

I also did a quick search for rifle Elk tag over the counter and here they are ...
Colorado, Washington , Oregon, Utah, Idaho. Seems you still have a possibility for 2019 season !

MT.PERCHMAN

It looks like you can get a Cow Elk tag here in Mt. $ 275.00 in a % 100 chance draw area.
I guess you could look at that as a option . Great meat , excellent time and no Taxidermy bill !!

MT.PERCHMAN
I also did a quick search for rifle Elk tag over the counter and here they are ...
Colorado, Washington , Oregon, Utah, Idaho. Seems you still have a possibility for 2019 season !

MT.PERCHMAN

that cow tag is really cheap! and a good hunt for a beginner in elk hunting! thanks for taking time to help it means a ton!! you tempt me very much with that Idaho OTC tag for 2019 but I just don't know if I can get the money together in time.. the plane ticket is the killer... one day ill move to montana but Im cursed to live in crowded eastern nc right now haha

that cow tag is really cheap! and a good hunt for a beginner in elk hunting! thanks for taking time to help it means a ton!! you tempt me very much with that Idaho OTC tag for 2019 but I just don't know if I can get the money together in time.. the plane ticket is the killer... one day ill move to montana but Im cursed to live in crowded eastern nc right now haha
Plane ticket + rental vehicle... driving is way cheaper.

If you have a truck with a topper it would be your best bet ! You could be mobile and have all your gear ! The Cow tag would be a great learning trip ! Elk in any state is no easy hunt . Just to let you know . If your handy at all you could get your topper set up nice and comfy ! I use mine with a plywood bed on one side with foam . A small electric heater with my small generator. I have heard to many bad stories of propane heaters..with bad endings .
Just a few ideas for you !
You will have memories for life !

MT.PERCHMAN

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back