Hunting Price Estimates

If you have a truck with a topper it would be your best bet ! You could be mobile and have all your gear ! The Cow tag would be a great learning trip ! Elk in any state is no easy hunt . Just to let you know . If your handy at all you could get your topper set up nice and comfy ! I use mine with a plywood bed on one side with foam . A small electric heater with my small generator. I have heard to many bad stories of propane heaters..with bad endings .
Just a few ideas for you !
You will have memories for life !

MT.PERCHMAN

That's a great idea with a topper! might have to look into the cow tag hunt just for learning. id hate to spend 1000 bucks on a bull tag and waste time bc I had no idea what I was doing haha. still would be worth it for the experience don't get me wrong but you know what I mean...good way to learn the land and how to approach. btw I was almost one of those stories with the propane heater...not my brightest move. lol

Im only flying for the convince...that's a hell of a drive from North Caroilina haha...and because I could hunt longer if I fly instead of using 2 days to drive there and 2 days back

gotta figure cost of shipping the meat back. I drive 32hrs, sometimes twice a fall to MT to hunt. Last time I flew for a scouting trip I would have made it sooner if I would have drove due to flight delays.

Im only flying for the convince...that's a hell of a drive from North Caroilina haha...and because I could hunt longer if I fly instead of using 2 days to drive there and 2 days back

Sure, just talking cost wise it's probably $1200 more to fly than drive. I've done CO to VT and back like 8 times or something... sucks but...

gotta figure cost of shipping the meat back. I drive 32hrs, sometimes twice a fall to MT to hunt. Last time I flew for a scouting trip I would have made it sooner if I would have drove due to flight delays.

True story... you can do a bear/caribou/pronghorn/muley without really worrying too much about baggage fees but an elk is gonna be expensive.

wow that's crazy man!! would have never thought about that! good stuff, that def changes my mind a bit..

Assuming have mileage/fly southwest/ have an airline cc or something that gives you 2 bags, you can get around 100lbs of meat and 50lbs of gear home without having incur additional costs. Add antlers of any kind that goes up $100 and then another $100 for every additional 50lbs. Roughly.

Try archery season and still have good weather . You plan a mid season rifle hunt to Montana and we have a whole new list of mandatory gear to have ! It gets brutal to say the least !!

MT.PERCHMAN

Thus is the reason many guys have a group that they do out of state hunts with. 1)trade driving 2)share fuel expense 3)cover more area and share camp chores 4) pool resources for gear (one guy has tent, another has stove, one guy provides vehicle, etc.)

You will burn 2 days each way doing the Fly and Drive model as well. Going to have to pick up supplies when you land. Going to have to find your campsite, going to have to scout to get to know the country. 2 Extra days of driving on either end is a small price to pay.

SCOUTING, is definitely doable with a Fly and drive model. Summer temps are more conducive to packing light. Good Vacation with the spouse too. Then when you get there for hunting season you already know where you are going to camp and where you want to be on opening day. 3 days in the unit you can drive most all of it 2 days and see where you want to hike in away from the road on day 3. You won't find the bull or buck you are gonna kill on the summer scouting trip, but when you do see one on your hunt, you are gonna know how to get to him.

Just as an example, I'm going to be right around $1,600 for my Idaho trip this year from the very bottom of Florida, lol. That includes elk and deer tags (we're going archery), hunting licenses, gas split 3 ways, four nights in a hotel split 3 ways (2 nights driving up and 2 nights driving back), food, and other misc. minor stuff. We're camping in the unit we'll be hunting to save money and trying to limit any "extra" stuff. We chose to drive primarily because of what these other guys are saying about cost. Once you add in a rental car and consider possibly getting meat home it gets expensive fast.

Try archery season and still have good weather . You plan a mid season rifle hunt to Montana and we have a whole new list of mandatory gear to have ! It gets brutal to say the least !!

MT.PERCHMAN

very true! I think im going to use my own truck and drive it. gotta barrow a camper shell and I can put all my gear in that and pack the meat home in that as well....only cost about 400 in gas and 40 for an oil change lol. that would be my lodging too unless its not freezing ( im sure it will be in late October)

Thus is the reason many guys have a group that they do out of state hunts with. 1)trade driving 2)share fuel expense 3)cover more area and share camp chores 4) pool resources for gear (one guy has tent, another has stove, one guy provides vehicle, etc.)

You will burn 2 days each way doing the Fly and Drive model as well. Going to have to pick up supplies when you land. Going to have to find your campsite, going to have to scout to get to know the country. 2 Extra days of driving on either end is a small price to pay.

SCOUTING, is definitely doable with a Fly and drive model. Summer temps are more conducive to packing light. Good Vacation with the spouse too. Then when you get there for hunting season you already know where you are going to camp and where you want to be on opening day. 3 days in the unit you can drive most all of it 2 days and see where you want to hike in away from the road on day 3. You won't find the bull or buck you are gonna kill on the summer scouting trip, but when you do see one on your hunt, you are gonna know how to get to him.

Much appreciated man! great views and ideas! i have one guy i want to bring for filming and glassing purposes (maybe 2 but i dont want to be crowded). im for sure going in the summer to "vacation" with the ole lady haha mostly for scouting hunting spots and looking for a house possibly for the distant future. im sticking with the driving model for the hunt and will prolly fly out for the "vacation" lol.

Just as an example, I'm going to be right around $1,600 for my Idaho trip this year from the very bottom of Florida, lol. That includes elk and deer tags (we're going archery), hunting licenses, gas split 3 ways, four nights in a hotel split 3 ways (2 nights driving up and 2 nights driving back), food, and other misc. minor stuff. We're camping in the unit we'll be hunting to save money and trying to limit any "extra" stuff. We chose to drive primarily because of what these other guys are saying about cost. Once you add in a rental car and consider possibly getting meat home it gets expensive fast.

Exactly my thoughts man!! and you mean $1600 is your amount counting tags and licenses and your 1/3 of expenses?

Exactly my thoughts man!! and you mean $1600 is your amount counting tags and licenses and your 1/3 of expenses?

Right, my cost is about $1,600. My dad is the same but my sister will only be out about $850 because Idaho treats disabled vets awesome and gives them a great discount on tags/licenses. Our total trip for all three of us is about $4,100

Drive out for a cow hunt 1st. IMHO
I meet up with folks from FL, PN,TN ,everywhere ,all the time in NM.
See too many rookies bull hunting tough hunts too...

Right, my cost is about $1,600. My dad is the same but my sister will only be out about $850 because Idaho treats disabled vets awesome and gives them a great discount on tags/licenses. Our total trip for all three of us is about $4,100

that's really cool of Idaho to do that!! and that's a good estimate for montana too according to my calculations and others input. not bad for an experience like that!! I really thank you for that info!

I would t recommend flying. The plane ticket, luggage, getting meat and a mount home etc. adds an awful lot to the price and the logistics. I’m not sure it saves you any time by the time you include all of that .

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back