Hunting pants

Dave2643

Getting geared up for a tough Salmon River Idaho sheep hunt and have been reading about gear and posting questions on here to learn all I can. I have horse hunted on most of my back country hunts and the stock is not an option on this one. I have read that cotton is not a good material to choose when it comes to hiking and backpacking in. All of my archery camo is cotton and I have always worn cotton boxers. I know I am in for a real challenge due to my age and the task ahead of me. I would like to hear what kind of pants might be better suited for this hunt which will more than likely be a hot one at the end of August and cool down into October.

I have a pair of Sitka Ascents and a pair of Sitka Mountain Pants. Early season in the heat, the Ascents get the nod. These are super comfy. Later season, cool and maybe a little snow, the Mountain Pants come out.

Lots of good options out there.

Check out the First Lite Corrugate pants. Best pair of pants I've ever hiked in.

Pair of running shorts over the top of merino or sport leggings. I think so many hunters in the states feel like they have to wear big bulky pants or pants with half a dozen pockets, look at the guys in NZ who hunt tahr and chamois regularly, 3/4's of them are wearing shorts or shorts with leggings for a reason, unrestrictive movement, lightweight, can easily have a spare pair in the pack to change into or put on when its cold, nothing lets you climb like leggings do.

Sitka=great gear at a tremendous price. Depending on your budget , core4element makes good stuff at a reasonable price. My next purchase however will be First Lite.

If nothing else, Definitely get a pair of merino wool boxers and socks. It will keep you from stinking.

I really like Sitka...dries fast, is stretchy for hiking steep hills, quiet cloth, fairly light weight. If you shop around you can find pretty good deals.

For me, the best hunting pant for August, well into September is a pair of shortpants. Add some merino boxers and you'll be set. I have worn full length merino btms a cpl times when I was hunting in a burn but not for my regular Elk hunts. Night and day better than my sitka ascent pants.

KUIU attack pants, can be worn anytime. They are very comfortable, if you warm up you can unzip the vents on each leg .

Pair of running shorts over the top of merino or sport leggings. I think so many hunters in the states feel like they have to wear big bulky pants or pants with half a dozen pockets, look at the guys in NZ who hunt tahr and chamois regularly, 3/4's of them are wearing shorts or shorts with leggings for a reason, unrestrictive movement, lightweight, can easily have a spare pair in the pack to change into or put on when its cold, nothing lets you climb like leggings do.

Works for me :)

Dave2643,

Wondering if you are one of the five other Sheep hunters that drew 27-2. If so would you like to talk about combining our efforts>

Gene

I've considered this myself...although we'd need to start another sexy leg contest category.

I started wearing Duluth Trading Dry on the Fly Nylon pants for just about everything when it's hot and will probably use them for early antelope & elk. I'm headed out this afternoon for an 8 day trip into Rocky Mtn Front so we'll see how they perform.

I've considered this myself...although we'd need to start another sexy leg contest category.

I started wearing Duluth Trading Dry on the Fly Nylon pants for just about everything when it's hot and will probably use them for early antelope & elk. I'm headed out this afternoon for an 8 day trip into Rocky Mtn Front so we'll see how they perform.
If those 8 days are for work, I officially don't like you... ;) If they aren't I dislike you a bit less... ;) 'Twould love to have country like that within driving distance.

Every time I try to get away with wearing shorts while hunting or scouting or even shed hunting, I end up with a ton of scratches on my legs from busting through brush and other prickly stuff.

When hiking a trail in the summer shorts are great, but even the Sitka Ascent pants aren't heavy enough to protect my legs from getting scratched up most of the places that I hunt.

A good inexpensive option is the gander mountain guide series trailhead convertible pants. They are lightweight, made from nylon and convert to shorts if it's too warm. They are cheap too. They just had a special of but one get one free. Price was $40 each, so got them for $20 per pair. I'd love a pair of sitka's, but can't get myself to spend over $200 for a pair of pants just yet. Maybe when the wife goes back to work full time.

Micro-Tex,fairly cheap and last for years.Very good hunting pants any season,IMHO.

Shorts are for kids, at home or the beach...................got the scars from wearing them til I turned 30.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back