Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting pack

beginnerhunter

New to the forums so forgive me if this is an old topic...

Does anybody know of a good value for a hunting pack?? I'm just not sure I can afford a $500 pack right now. Used packs are priced so high I may as well buy new lol.

So are there any relatively inexpensive packs out there that are worth a darn? It's mainly going to be for whitetail hunting. Something to pack meat out. Thanks!

I've got a Badlands 2200 that does everything I need it to. Has a load shelf for meat with plenty of room inside for day use. Usually can get them used for around $200. If you are just wanting a cheap meat hauler look into some the aluminum external frames, used they bought fairly inexpensive. I used those before the Badlands and they worked fine.

Last edited:
There was a thread from a couple days ago that said Camofire has had/will be having Mystery Ranch packs on a killer deal.

I know they're a lot of money but a quality pack is right up there in terms of importance along side boots and optics. Keep your eye out for a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, MR, or EXO mountain gear.

The mystery ranch pack on camofire was a heck of a deal. I don't know if they sold out or not. Give it a few weeks and it might come back on. For another affordable pack that is pretty good in my opinion, check out horn hunter packs. I have a full curl system and love it. I've used it hunting and backpacking in various combinations. There day packs are nice too but I don't have one. For a regular day pack, I like cabelas elite scout pack. I like the layout of the pack better than anything else in that price range.

Not a lot of white tail hunters pack meat out, although I don't know why except maybe if the state regs require the animal be checked in whole.
There's lots of lower cost options out there like any of the day packs from Badlands, Tenzing, heck even Redfield. Keep an eye out on classified forms on this site and Rok something or other�� because spring is the time guys are unloading last years packs to get the newest latest and greatest. I'd keep an eye out for a MR Dragonslayer or a Kifaru Siwash.
Happy hunting.

Watch Camofire closely. They ran a quality Mystery Ranch pack a couple days ago for $350, you'll also see some Badlands and Eberlestocks run through there on occasion.

That said, I second one of the above opinions - Badlands makes a great pack for a solid price. I've packed out many an elk and backcountry camp w/ the old style 2800. Ran 90-110 pounds in it on pack jobs 5-6 times and it's held up flawlessly. I own a Kifaru now, but until recently, I swore by the Badlands 2800 and really have nothing bad to say about mine.

Good advice in the thread so far. Don't overlook some of the traditional back-packing packs as well.

I packed out 15 or so elk in a 2600 cu. in. Osprey that I paid $130 for (on sale, in the early 2000's). The hunting specific packs have very nice features (load shelf's, gun/bow stuff, etc). I still use my Osprey backcountry skiing.

Steepandcheap.com has good deals as well.

For what it's worth, I did buy a Badlands pack about 5 years ago. It was fine for day hunting, but couldn't handle weight (meat) very well. I got rid of it after 1 meat hauling trip and upgraded to a MR (the osprey doesn't handle big loads well anymore).

Thanks for the advice! As to why I'm wanting something for whitetails, I'm going to hunt a walk-in wilderness area next season and don't want to drag a deer several miles through thick brush on steep hills by myself. I guess I could take a game cart but it just seems less efficient. Thanks again!!

I really like my full curl bag system that I picked up used for $230 last year. It can do a lot of things depending on how you set it up.

If you're starting out, you'd be amazed at what you can get away with with the gear you already have. This year, I decided to use an old Kelty 50L backpack to carry a bunch of extra stuff on cold weather hunts. I shot a deer and was able to bone him out and pack him out in one trip. It's an older 50 liter/3000 cu hiking/camping pack with a primitive internal frame (just a couple of flat metal bars actually). My damn iPhone won't let me take small enough pictures (file size), so I can't post a pic of it, but you get the idea. You can do a lot with a pack you may already have, while saving for the pack you want.
I'll also second camofire. They've had the Badlands 2200 on there recently for $190 or so, and the Superday for $130.

Emrah

Last edited:
Ya dont need a 500$ pack.
When I started I had a fanny pack ---- knife, water, medkit, game bags and a sammy. Quarter was on the shoulder? Sucked, but better than empty handed.
Want to buy it?
Kidding, pulled it out this summer to use going to Blake Shelton / Frontier days and the whole lot of folks made fun of my sweet ol fanny pack? I am getting old.

My first real pack was an external frame Gregory. Then an Alaskan II.

If you're starting out, you'd be amazed at what you can get away with with the gear you already have. This year, I decided to use an old Kelty 50L backpack to carry a bunch of extra stuff on cold weather hunts. I shot a deer and was able to bone him out and pack him out in one trip. It's an older 50 liter/3000 cu hiking/camping pack with a primitive internal frame (just a couple of flat metal bars actually). My damn iPhone won't let me take small enough pictures (file size), so I can't post a pic of it, but you get the idea. You can do a lot with a pack you may already have, while saving for the pack you want.
I'll also second camofire. They've had the Badlands 2200 on there recently for $190 or so, and the Superday for $130.

Emrah

I watch Camofire daily for deals and I see the 2200 on there quite a bit, it is listed for 179.99 typically and then you will be charged about 8 bucks shipping and normal sales tax. Also that 2200 I have seen has only been in Snow camo pattern if that dosent bother you.

I currently own and have used a Superday, never again will I use it to haul meat out. I was able to stuff a shoulder and a rear qtr boned out in it (from an elk) and with out a frame that bag burned my shoulders out badly.

I have upgraded to a Easton Full Bore XT 5600. On camo fire it is 99.99 and so far with the adjustability and frame I thin kit will work out much better.

The Badlands 2200 is a killer deal and a great bag, it lacks giant storage for multi day pack trips, but for your use it ill be on par and work great.

Thanks again. I signed up for camofire notifications. Will definitely look at the badlands.

A couple people recommended the horn hunter full curl which looks pretty good. Any experience with the main beam?

Man I'm kicking myself for not buying the Mystery Ranch the other day now :)

I bought an MR Dragonslayer when they went on sale last year. A major upgrade from the Kelty Grizzly I was using. MR makes packs for the industrial user - fire crews, military, Fresh Tracks film crews, etc.

The Dragonslayer reminds me of a thread here a while back about how much a beaver can carry on a fly-in hunt. The consensus was that if you can get the door closed it will take off. I hope to get the chance to find out later this year with the MR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back