Hunting pack

What's your budget?

What's your hunting style, now and in near future? More walk-in/pack-out type day hunts?

Do you bow hunt?

Do plan on camping/hunting out of a pack any time soon?

Personally, I've had a bunch of less expensive type packs of all sorts. A few mentioned above. What the less expensive "hunting" packs are lacking is durability, and a suspension system that allows you to pack out a lot of weight with relative comfort, while not destroying the pack. Also, very few allow for adjustment to fit better. I'm not sure of your size, but smaller guys have problems with the typical "hunting" packs because they are one size fits all, and they don't usually work well if you're smaller than the typical 5'-10" 180lb man.

There are hundreds of decent packs out there that with suspensions head and shoulders above most of the "hunting" packs made today. I would suggest going to a local sporting store and checking what they have to offer. Places like REI usually have staff knowledgeable in fitting a pack, they also have a huge selection of packs. Chose the style you want and shop around. Once you compare a backpack/camping style pack to a hunting style pack, you'll quickly realize that most of the camo hunting packs are glorified book bags.

I'm of the opinion of buying the best pack you can, even if you skimp on something else. Same with boots. I can get by on a heavy tent, sleeping bag, etc. I have a Stone Glacier that I suspect will outlast me. Buy once, cry once. That said, my brother also has a Horn Hunter Full Curl he likes, although it is a bit heavy. Outdoorsman packs look similar to HH FC.

lol, dang I missed the easton and badlands packs today. :( Now that I'm on the email list hopefully I'll know what's on there and when.

lol, dang I missed the easton and badlands packs today. :( Now that I'm on the email list hopefully I'll know what's on there and when.

Unfortunately the emails only list a few items. They have an app for both android and apple phones. Also if you use it be ready to spend a few minutes the first time setting up an account. You don't get to put items into the shopping cart and come back, its a click and buy now type of deal.

A $100 Kelty hauler will work just fine and you can lash a knapsack to it for drinks and sandwiches in the stand. A step above but not an Elk hauler would be an REI XT85. Above that you can spend all you want.

Slumberjack Bounty 4500. I bought this as my first western hunting pack. It has held up well and more affordable than many others. Their website video will give you a good demo of its options.

Well, ended up getting the Easton pickup xt 3000 on camofire for $79. Should work for what I need. One day, maybe I'll get to go out west and I'll buy a better one. Thanks to everyone for the comments!

After some shopping I found a BL 2200 on Ebay for well under $100, now in excellent condition after a warranty visit to South Jordan. I'd be interested to see a user review on the Easton, though.

Horn hunter full curl frame is a great choice, carries as much gear as you want and you can haul a whole quartered deer with it. I got mine new for 125. Just keep your eyes peeled for the deals.

I looked at the full curl. I like how it is designed but couldn't find it for that cheap.

If I were for sure going west this year I would've jumped on that MR marshall on camofire. Some day....

I've been using the Eberlestock X2. I think I paid like $200 or less a couple years ago and it is solid. Its a good size for day hunting and is beefy enough to lash down a 100 lbs of meat.

I second the Eberlestock X2, is a great day pack and I can load it up something awful if I need to. But If you want to pack in tent, etc. for overnights you will need something bigger.

I have packed out a ton (literally) of meat with Cabela's frame packs. They are not that expensive, haul heavy loads and are reasonably comfortable. I retired one that hauled at least 1200 pounds of meat. The frame is now hauling a backpack sprayer.

I finally sent you a pm but it appears you already found one.

For anyone else looking, I have a Badlands 2200 and a Blacks Creek Barbarian Featherlight both in great shape that I have only used once or twice and I am going to move them out of my way.

Jeff

The new beast just showed up....Man this pack is big !

picture.php

picture.php

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I got a Slumberjack Bounty 4500 for under $200 on Camofire earlier this year. It looks like it will be a good pack though. It might be more than what you need, but they have other Slumberjack packs on Camofire as well.

https://slumberjack.com/bounty-4500/

EDIT: I didn't see the 2nd page of the thread, and it looks like you already found one.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back