Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting pack under $200

I have been using an Eberlestock Gunrunner for the last couple of years and love it. It has more than enough room for a day pack and I love the scabbard for those early morning hikes in the dark up steep slopes to keep your hands free, or to use trekking poles. I can't say I have ever needed to haul meat out with it, but I have had some pretty heavy shed loads on it. I keep a cheap aluminum frame pack in the truck for the meat trips, but I am sure the Gunrunner would get a quarter or skull and cape out no problem.

I like the Horn Hunter Full Curl System a lot. For $220 you can get 2 of the 3 parts that go to it: the frame with belt and load lifters and the removable backpack. Then later down the road you can buy the Full Curl bag to add to it for $75. If you can squeeze out a little more upfront, the whole system is $280. Seems like I always pay just beyond what I wanted to. :)

I think if stripped them down you could get the empty pack somewhere in the 9lb range, but given that the pack isn't anymore capable than an REI XT85 or something similar, why carry all the extra weight (most of which is the super HD Cordura).
When folks say things like "Wow, you got to 'camp' a LOT in Army, didn't you? That must have been great" I tell them the Army (military) could always F up a good camping trip....everything is too heavy, too expensive and barely functional. :)

BTW, I packed out my first elk quarter in a 20 year old Osprey and it worked great.....a rear quarter would have been a tight squeeze though.

I have a Eberlestock Gunslinger2 that I plan on using. It isn’t the lightest pack but it seems very well built.

You can get an Alps Commander frame and bag for about $130 brand new.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back