Hunting pack under $200

Why brand new? At that price point a used option is gonna be your best option. Probably not a hunting branded pack either. REI XT85 comes to mind.

Some ideas: XT85 as noted, used Dana, pre-2006 Arcteryx Bora, used Osprey Aether, etc. I'd take an old used Dana over any current brand new sub $200 "hunting" pack personally.

I've made a $100 Jansport work for the last 10 years, only hauled a couple elk but several deer and a few pronghorn. It gets the job done, but when it does finally go I'm going to upgrade significantly. I value volume and a sturdy build, my biggest complaint with the cheapie is how the load flops around when loaded with meat due to the flimsy internal frame. I'll likely go with a Mystery Ranch or similar when mine gives up the ghost, or a good deal comes along.

I guess the point of this rambling is to suggest spending double your budget once and be happy with it for a long time, rather than try to make an inferior product work for a while instead.

Any used backpacking pack will suffice and you can get them for WAY under $200 used. I've used a Jansport, Kelty, and now an Osprey. My preference is one without a zipper, just a top loading bag, with an opening wide enough to fit an elk rear quarter in it.

An ILBE weighs about 3-4 lbs more than it needs to, and their frames are not any better than a decent backpacking pack. The Marines started research a new pack only 4 years after the fielded the ILBE to the Fleet. The Army Molle pack is garbage too.

An ILBE weighs about 3-4 lbs more than it needs to, and their frames are not any better than a decent backpacking pack. The Marines started research a new pack only 4 years after the fielded the ILBE to the Fleet. The Army Molle pack is garbage too.
Just googled... 11lbs... damn did they use stainless steel for the frame. That's 2x the weight of a MR, SG, or Kifaru.

Just googled... 11lbs... damn did they use stainless steel for the frame. That's 2x the weight of a MR, SG, or Kifaru.

I think if stripped them down you could get the empty pack somewhere in the 9lb range, but given that the pack isn't anymore capable than an REI XT85 or something similar, why carry all the extra weight (most of which is the super HD Cordura).

I just picked up a minimally used Badlands Sacrifice for 3/4 of your budget. It replaces a Badlands 2200, which was also bought on classifieds. Both have internal aluminum frames. My pack typically carries up to 25# of daily gear, and packs the 1st load of meat to the truck. Then I grab my old external pack frame for the rest. I also carry 25# training loads during summer hikes. 2200 weighs 6#, Sac is 1# less while having room for a 3 day camp. Both are comfortable because they fit my torso (19") and waist (34) . Badlands' unconditional warranty is a big plus, adds confidence when buying used. IME Badlands has excellent quality, good features, really durable, a little heavier than comparable top shelf models. Some say their zippers are lacking, not in my experience.

If I needed to regularly carry >50#, the expense and tech of SG, MR etc might make sense. If I never packed quarters, a 30-40 liter internal frame mountaineering pack by Kelty etc can be found on local classifieds for <$50. Solid colors are fine w me, just not blue for hunting.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I’m looking for a day pack that can haul meet if needed.

The reason for new is so I’ll be able to do some reviews. I’ve had a difficult time knowing exactly what/where to look for used.

Google is your friend for reviews of gear from when it was new, and even after it has been used. Search for "MR Pintler review" for example, or any brand you are considering. All the hunting forums have classifieds, so you can google search "Blue Widow for sale" for example and get links to those classifieds. Ebay prices are rarely competitive IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back