Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting over water tank

JEL

Out here on our farm we have been in a bit of a drought. Severe enough that all of our stock ponds are dry and we haul water to tanks for our cows. The critters use them too. One tank is on a pasture we pulled our cows off but I am still hauling water to it for the deer and antelope with intentions of hunting it. Ethical dilemma? We had blinds on all of our stock ponds when they had water. For some reason it makes me a little uneasy. What say you?

I wouldn't have an issue with it, same as hunting a stock pond, but hunting is a different experience for all of us. If you feel like shooting one over a tank wouldn't feel right, then you've answered your question. Better to have a clear conscience after you pull a trigger.

Reactions: JEL
not just for moral reasons, but I will not sit in a blind. Not patient enough. I’d rather stalk antelope on a desert flat with almost no chance of getting close enough over sitting in a blind all day.

I know I already posted, but I wanted to add to the sitting a blind discussion. I’ve reached a crossroad in my life where it is obviously not just about “the kill.” Further, I’ve come to realize that experiences are fluid as well.

This spring I was turkey hunting with one of my best friends in the world. We camped and had a great time and the birds didn’t cooperate. We each went our separate ways in the morning and didn’t hear a gobble. After a quick lunch we decided we were doing more harm that good running around cutting at a bunch of birds not talking back. We setup a blind in a good spot, drew straws for first shot, smoked a cigar, whispered about life and family, and i shot a bird at 5pm. My buddy recorded it and we hugged like we’d won the super bowl.

I prefer to chase screaming toms that gobble at everything and attack my Jake decoy until I shoot him at 20 yards. However, I’d never trade that blind hunt with a best friend for all the screaming Toms in Tennessee.

Different and new can still be awesome. You got a drought (a bag of lemons). Make some lemonade. Sit a drinker and make a new memory.

Do what makes you happy. I hunt the animals where they are; but I also hunt in the land of blinds and feeders. One of my favorite spots is in a 12’ tripod about 100yds over a pond and feeder yet I’ve barely killed any deer there.

My biggest moral conundrum as is probably yours right now is hunting during a drought year. I doubt this thread would even exist if moisture wasn’t in short supply in your area. I know my hunting area has been hit hard and that will affect my trigger pulling this year.

IMG_0215.JPG
No problemo.
Just have to pick the right cover to ambush them from after daylight and they have 360 deg. of choices and you get one...

I don't see any ethical issues. Your helping provide for countless animals, in exchange you'll take a couple at most I'm guessing. At a time when resources are limited no less. Sounds like good management to me.

No different than hunting over a food plot. But I get your thought process. It seems the older you get, the totality of the hunt seems to outweigh the kill. Life is full of personal ethical dilemmas, decide what "feels" right to you.

I see your dilemma, to me it would be different if you were hunting a tank that is holding water vs. hunting a tank that you are hauling water to. I’ve never heard of “baiting” with water but it begs an interesting question. Trust your gut, and maybe ask your local game warden his thoughts.

We cul a lot of deer over bait. If the big guy come in that's a little icing on the cake for filling the freezer.
But I know the feeling. It's much more rewarding when you actually hunt for a wall hanger.

My feeling is what is the intent of the hunt? If you're looking to fill a freezer for food for the family or looking for the thrill of the chase? Me personally, I don't consider myself a true "hunter". I'm a killer of local game to supply food for my family and to share with a few friends that appreciate the meat. If it's legal, I'll put it in the freezer without a second thought. It's no different than fishing in a stocked pond.

If your thinking about it is obviously bugging you. Dont hunt it, hunting is about more than just a kill. Trust your gut!
Spot on!
It is up to you, as it it is with a lot of hunting options. There is no ref out there. Personally I would not, it is not fair chase in my book. Is there not somewhere else on your property you could hunt them?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back