Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting in Oregon

gouch

Looking at the “best state for a hunting retreat thread” I noticed that Oregon is not mentioned except to say "Not Oregon". There are plenty of good reasons I know but I got to thinking about the opportunities that do exist here. I will give you that for this scenario to work the stars would have to be in perfect alinement, your lucky rabbits foot would have to be on steroids and the goddess of the hunt would have to love you as if you were her only child. But here it goes.

In just one year a person could legally kill Five deer including four different species or sub species. Three elk including Rocky Mountain and Roosevelt. Three bear and two cougars. One Rocky Mountain and one California Bighorn sheep. Two Mountain Goats, three Pronghorns, three turkeys plus coyotes and bobcats. You could kill gray squirrels, two species of doves, Band tail pigeons, two species of quail, three species of grouse, pheasant, at least four species of rabbits, six species of geese and 31 or so species of ducks. You could put your taxidermist’s kids through collage all in one year. *

* Includes OTC, Regular Draw, Premium Draw and Raffle hunts. No auction hunts.

There are also Moose and Wolves that aren’t in numbers large enough to hunt (yet) and Big Foot is on Oregon’s endangered species list.

Yes, I agree, but its arguably one of the worst states for a NR to to hunt. In Oregon if you want to put in for a bull tag or Mule deer or Antelope draw in Eastern Oregon you first have to buy a NR license which sets you back $300. Then you put in for the draw. If you don't draw, which you wont for a few years, you are out the cost of the license. You can get an over the counter general tag for spike. In other states you first put in for the draw for a few bucks and if you draw then you buy the tag and license. Oregon has it backwards, unless your a resident then its helps keep NR hunters out by the cost alone.

Yes you can get over the counter tags for items like bear and cougar ( which you will never see let alone harvest because we don't allow dogs), turkey and ( I'll keep my opinion to myself) blacktail. Heck you can even pay hundreds to go hunt in the pouring rain to hunt Roosevelt if you like.

We have lots of game, this is true, but if you want to hunt a high densty unit with high harvest rates, or looking for a trophy it will take you years to get points and thousands of $$.

Yes, I agree, but its arguably one of the worst states for a NR to to hunt. In Oregon if you want to put in for a bull tag or Mule deer or Antelope draw in Eastern Oregon you first have to buy a NR license which sets you back $300. Then you put in for the draw. If you don't draw, which you wont for a few years, you are out the cost of the license. You can get an over the counter general tag for spike. In other states you first put in for the draw for a few bucks and if you draw then you buy the tag and license. Oregon has it backwards, unless your a resident then its helps keep NR hunters out by the cost alone.

Yes you can get over the counter tags for items like bear and cougar ( which you will never see let alone harvest because we don't allow dogs), turkey and ( I'll keep my opinion to myself) blacktail. Heck you can even pay hundreds to go hunt in the pouring rain to hunt Roosevelt if you like.

We have lots of game, this is true, but if you want to hunt a high densty unit with high harvest rates, or looking for a trophy it will take you years to get points and thousands of $$.
I was wrong it's only four deer and two elk. It does seem that Oregon actively discourages non resident hunters while encouraging NR fishing. Not to mention you almost have to hire a lawyer to help you get through the regs. It does take a lot of points for a good tag but reading threads here it doesn't seem like, for a resident at least, it is any worse than most western states.

I think for a residents its on par with other states. Resident license and tags are inexpensive. Tons of public land to hunt. I hunt both public and private and generally you can always find game. Maybe not exactly what your looking for but you'll see some critters.

Game opportunity for all species except cougar is good. But if we don't get a handle on our cat population its gonna be a problems. Soon wolves will be an issue.

Including the premium and raffle hunts, and still having less than half the opportunity that I have as a nr in Wyoming pretty much sums up Oregon hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back