Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HUNTING IN MONTANA

Congratulations Texashunter15.

Don't be deterred by the responses you are getting. There are no "tags" given in Montana .... only licenses and permits. Permits permit you to use your license in certain hunting districts (Montana does not have any hunting units). If you harvest an elk ... you put your license on the animal and have the permit with you in your possession.

The permit you applied for and was drawn for is a multi-hunting district permit. The 900-20 PERMIT is only valid in hunting districts 401, 403, 411, 412, 426, 447, 450, 500, 502, 510, 511, 520, 530, 570, 575, 580, 590, 701, 702, 704, and 705. This permit is valid for either sex elk (calf, spike, cow, or bull) ... "if it's an elk ... you can shoot it using archery equipment only. This permit is only good during Archery Only Season (September 7 through October 20). As some one else stated; once the season is over, you can still rifle hunt elk in any of the "general" hunting districts (refer to regulations or call Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks in Helena at 406-444-2535).

The hunting districts stated above are pretty much east of the Continental Divide and some would say relatively flat ground with some ups and downs. Don't get me wrong ... you'll have to hump your way over some fairly steep "hills". When MT FWP puts out the "Block Management" information, you should request copies sent to you, get OnXmaps, and know where private and public land is located with respect to one another and then go hunt. You have been given the basics on this permit, but read the Regulations and speak to a Game Warden from the hunting region your will be hunting. This way you don't, by mistake, get yourself into trouble.

My buddy has hunted this area for 15 years, 900-20 specifically. He will be accompanying me on this hunt, all I was trying to do is get information from hunters that are familiar with this tag/tags, and can help with information. Seems like everyone is confrontational and doesn’t want to help. It’s my 1st time putting in for a public land hunt in MT, or any other state for that matter. I have my own ranch here in SOUTH TEXAS , so I’ve never needed to do this. But my ARMY buddy convinced me to go on this hunt w em and put in for the draw, but he didn’t draw. So all I’m trying to do is get information, seems like that’s too much to ask for.

Thanks brother. I’m trying to gather as much information as possible, and it’s people like you that have been forthcoming. I found out last night that I drew this tag, and again, I’ve never done this before. My buddy convinced me of doing this, and we planned on doing this together, but this morning his wife called me and told me he has blood clots in his lungs and is fighting for his life. So it’s been really hard trying to be excited about this trip, when we were supposed to do this together. I’ve seen the ELKS and MULE DEER he has harvested over the years and I was IN when he asked me to do this w em. But now, it seems I’m going alone and need all the help I can get, even if it’s just someone pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again!!!

I'm confused, at 11:04 AM this morning he was going to be accompanying you on the hunt but at 12:17 PM he was fighting for his life with blood clots? You aren't excited about this trip but you have posted 19 times since 8:12 AM this morning about it?

I'm confused, at 11:04 AM this morning he was going to be accompanying you on the hunt but at 12:17 PM he was fighting for his life with blood clots? You aren't excited about this trip but you have posted 19 times since 8:12 AM this morning about it?

This has to be one of the better classics of Hunttalk don't you think? At first I was almost certain it was Greenhorn...

I'm flattered that so many would assume me to be that clever.

Texashunter15 - your 900-20 license allows you to take an elk, deer and grouse. If you validate it with a tribal member, only then can you use it on a bighorn sheep. Best wishes to you on your hunt. Hope your friend pulls through.

For those that were helpful, instead of being a keyboard warrior, message me! I would love to extend my gratitude and put you on some nice SOUTH TEXAS WHITETAIL. 180’ 8 pointers and 200+ 10ptrs. Also have AOUDAD & NILGAI. Also, if you’re a VETERAN, it won’t cost u a dime!!! GOD BLESS

I think you took it the wrong way mate, you have to start somewhere, and a good place is here http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/huntPlanner/?bma=true# and plenty of info on the main website.
Google Earth is your friend, and buy a good GPS and put the ONXMAPS chip in it, or download the app to your cell phone.
You have plenty of time before your hunt.....to research....and get fit!
Cheers
Richard

Oh man, this is interesting. Texashunter-15, people here take elk hunting very seriously. Intimate knowledge of an area is often times learned by many miles of hiking/ days in an area and worn as a badge of honor. People aren't being mean for the sake of it. People don't just give their elk hunting spots away, especially to someone who hasn't even read the regulations. That being said 530 can be a fantastic unit.

This has to be one of the better classics of Hunttalk don't you think? At first I was almost certain it was Greenhorn...
Likewise, too over the top. Was sure he was just getting ahead of the curve this year.

Oh man, this is interesting. Texashunter-15, people here take elk hunting very seriously. Intimate knowledge of an area is often times learned by many miles of hiking/ days in an area and worn as a badge of honor. People aren't being mean for the sake of it. People don't just give their elk hunting spots away, especially to someone who hasn't even read the regulations. That being said 530 can be a fantastic unit.
In his defnese I dont ever remember him asking anyone where he should hunt. Unless I missed it he simple asked for information on what tag he actually drew. Granted a look through the regulations prior to asking and maybe some questions on what he found confusing would have been a better route.

TWOLF, ur right! I NEVER asked for hunting spots, just a little help to understand what I drew. That was all. I didn’t ask for anyone’s hunting spots, nor do I need them. Just wanted to understand what I drew, and if anyone had hunted that section and give me a heads up what I was in for. The terrain, geographically area, animals that frequent that area Someone gave me great advice and I ran w it, see YouTube RANDY NEWBERG. so that was an awesome tip.

@mountainhawks, not a farm. We call em ranches down here. Not many PUBLIC places to hunt in Texas, I would say, in the area I own my ranch, NONE of it is public. So getting access to these animals is either you know a friend, or you’re paying thousands of dollars to hunt. My place is low fence, fair chase, just like MONTANAS. We may not have the BIG GAME animals, ELK , BEAR OR BIGHORN, but we have many other animals people love to hunt. I will put our AXIS meat up against ELK meat ALL DAY, and 999/1000 hunters will choose AXIS. Not to say I don’t love me some ELK, but AXIS meat is WORLD CLASS! I have AOUDAD, AXIS, MOUFLAN, BLACKBUCK, FALLOW, WHITETAIL, HOGS, CORSICAN RAMS, just to name a few running wild and free thru my ranch.

Attachments

• 90ABD66C-96C3-4B4F-9E64-C3A1414B527F.png
    90ABD66C-96C3-4B4F-9E64-C3A1414B527F.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 7AA945D9-2E96-4DB4-A387-D9F6AD61F702.png
    7AA945D9-2E96-4DB4-A387-D9F6AD61F702.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 50
Oh, and if anyone has served this great nation honorably, DM me, I’ll put u on these animals for FREE!!!! You read that right, FREE!!

@mountainhawks, not a farm. We call em ranches down here. Not many PUBLIC places to hunt in Texas, I would say, in the area I own my ranch, NONE of it is public. So getting access to these animals is either you know a friend, or you’re paying thousands of dollars to hunt. My place is low fence, fair chase, just like MONTANAS. We may not have the BIG GAME animals, ELK , BEAR OR BIGHORN, but we have many other animals people love to hunt. I will put our AXIS meat up against ELK meat ALL DAY, and 999/1000 hunters will choose AXIS. Not to say I don’t love me some ELK, but AXIS meat is WORLD CLASS! I have AOUDAD, AXIS, MOUFLAN, BLACKBUCK, FALLOW, WHITETAIL, HOGS, CORSICAN RAMS, just to name a few running wild and free thru my ranch.
Not to hijack your post, Went down to north Texas for a hog hunt once. It was a a blast, biggest adrenaline rush of my life spearing a 160lb hog.

Back