HUNTING IN MONTANA

TEXASHUNTER15

Hey guys, I just drew my MONTANA BIG GAME TAG, but have NO CLUE on what I drew, or what it comes with. I’ve hunted for 30+ years here in SOUTH TEXAS, and a buddy convinced me to go to MT to get my ELK & MULE DEER this year. Luck would have it, I drew and he didn’t. Can anyone give me some insight on what my tag means and what I have in store for this adventure come this fall? Thanks guys !

Attachments

• 1385930A-F95F-4781-BDC2-B433B5A7CD69.png
    1385930A-F95F-4781-BDC2-B433B5A7CD69.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 48
You drew an elk archery tag in SE Montana. Go to the regs and take a look at the areas...it's a sizeable chunk of MT with portions of Region 4, 5, and 7

Also you have a general deer so you can hunt units that allow deer hunting during the general season.

Last edited:
Thanks brother. does this tag include MULE DEER, WHITETAIL DEER & ELK? BULLS/COW, and MULE DEER BUCK/DOE & WHITETAIL BUCK/DOE. If I’m guessing, it would be 1 ELK BULL OR COW, AND 1 WHITETAIL BUCK OR DOE, OR 1 MULE DEER BUCK OR DOE. Is that correct ?

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

Page 11 of the regs - The NR Big Game Combination includes Includes Conservation, Deer, Elk, State Lands, Upland Bird (excluding turkey), Base Hunting, AISPP & Season Fishing Licenses. The NR Elk Combination has everything except Deer and the NR Deer Combo has everything except Elk.

If you have the big game combo you can shoot one elk and one deer. Bull/cow or buck/doe depends on the unit.

For your elk permit yes it is an either sex permit. It really depends on deer. I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with what Hunting Districts you're hunting. Here are some screen shots from the regs but each hunting district has different rules for deer

Thanks guys. This is the tag/tags I drew

Attachments

• D08915AC-33CD-435F-AA7D-C2FAC76644FC.png
    D08915AC-33CD-435F-AA7D-C2FAC76644FC.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 15

I really think you need to sit down and read the Deer & Elk regs. Make a list of the hunting districts that the 900-20 encompasses (there must be 1000 hunting forum discussions on the internet about that tag) then watch Randy's Youtube videos on E-scouting to help narrow down where you think you want to hunt. Get OnXMaps or similar to help find access. I don't think anyone is going to point to a map and say this is where I'd hunt...at least not publicly.

I really think you need to sit down and read the Deer & Elk regs. Make a list of the hunting districts that the 900-20 encompasses (there must be 1000 hunting forum discussions on the internet about that tag) then watch Randy's Youtube videos on E-scouting to help narrow down where you think you want to hunt. Get OnXMaps or similar to help find access. I don't think anyone is going to point to a map and say this is where I'd hunt...at least not publicly.
My buddy has hunted this area for 15 years, 900-20 specifically. He will be accompanying me on this hunt, all I was trying to do is get information from hunters that are familiar with this tag/tags, and can help with information. Seems like everyone is confrontational and doesn’t want to help. It’s my 1st time putting in for a public land hunt in MT, or any other state for that matter. I have my own ranch here in SOUTH TEXAS , so I’ve never needed to do this. But my ARMY buddy convinced me to go on this hunt w em and put in for the draw, but he didn’t draw. So all I’m trying to do is get information, seems like that’s too much to ask for.

My buddy has hunted this area for 15 years, 900-20 specifically. He will be accompanying me on this hunt, all I was trying to do is get information from hunters that are familiar with this tag/tags, and can help with information. Seems like everyone is confrontational and doesn’t want to help. It’s my 1st time putting in for a public land hunt in MT, or any other state for that matter. I have my own ranch here in SOUTH TEXAS , so I’ve never needed to do this. But my ARMY buddy convinced me to go on this hunt w em and put in for the draw, but he didn’t draw. So all I’m trying to do is get information, seems like that’s too much to ask for.

This is good. He has been hunting there for 15 years, 900-20 specifically (which is multiple large areas throughout MT) yet you are asking strangers on an internet forum for information? If he has hunted with that tag for 15 years I would think he would be a great resource that would tell you all you would ever need to know. Nobody is being confrontational. People have already given you loads of information. Where is your buddy at? He gave you unit codes to apply for but with 15 years of experience can't help you once you draw?

People aren’t being confrontational, they’re trying to be helpful. The very basic details you keep repeatedly asking about are all outlined in the regs, and would take someone a significant amount of time to rehash it all for you here. They are simply telling you the most expeditious way to get the answers you are looking for. So again, read the regs.

This is good. He has been hunting there for 15 years, 900-20 specifically (which is multiple large areas throughout MT) yet you are asking strangers on an internet forum for information? If he has hunted with that tag for 15 years I would think he would be a great resource that would tell you all you would ever need to know. Nobody is being confrontational. People have already given you loads of information. Where is your buddy at? He gave you unit codes to apply for but with 15 years of experience can't help you once you draw?

This...every year new people join forums after drawing, don't contribute but expect to be handed information. 10 minutes on google told me a lot about the units. It was obvious you didn't even know where the permit covers so that's where I suggested you start.

Yeah no one is coming at you, they gave you a push in the right direction. Everyone should read the regs, doesn't matter where you LIVE.

It's a great opportunity to digitally explore new areas and narrow it down to an area you are interested in to hunt.

Sorry there's no real handouts here... hopefully you're buddy who's hunted the 900-20 tag for 15 years can help you out.

The 900-20 permit allows you to bow hunt either sex elk in multiple (20ish) hunting districts from basically the Canadian border at Sweetgrass down to the Wyoming border in SE Montana. If I were you I’d recommend doing your research and determine 1 or 2 of these units that you want to hunt. If you plan on hunting the entire area you’re allowed....good luck as there’s not enough days in the season to cover it. Once you figure out what unit(s) you’re going to hunt check the regs on what you can shoot with your deer tag.

Thanks brother. I’m trying to gather as much information as possible, and it’s people like you that have been forthcoming. I found out last night that I drew this tag, and again, I’ve never done this before. My buddy convinced me of doing this, and we planned on doing this together, but this morning his wife called me and told me he has blood clots in his lungs and is fighting for his life. So it’s been really hard trying to be excited about this trip, when we were supposed to do this together. I’ve seen the ELKS and MULE DEER he has harvested over the years and I was IN when he asked me to do this w em. But now, it seems I’m going alone and need all the help I can get, even if it’s just someone pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again!!!

For your elk permit yes it is an either sex permit. It really depends on deer. I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with what Hunting Districts you're hunting. Here are some screen shots from the regs but each hunting district has different rules for deer

View attachment 104909
View attachment 104910
Thanks MTHUNTR on the RANDYS YOUTUBE , looks like my afternoon is planned out with YOUTUBE & POPCORN.

One tidbit if you're going in solo... You originally said you weren't but if you are then I would be certain to know my limitations as far as packing out an elk. 3 miles on flatland country is a cake walk, 3 miles in the mountains is fine, 3 miles in the mountains with elk meat on your back is tough and doing that solo up to 4 trips to get your elk out, well, it's going to be a whammy. Also make sure you have a good pack and know how to break down an animal as big as an elk in the field.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back