Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting gear that punches BELOW its price point

I am a fly fisherman and having trouble with the concept of doing anything to the rod guides that requires nippers.
I think Simms markets a lot of their stuff as being “Guide Grade,” like “You’ll fish as well as a guide with these fingernail clippers.” Not that they’re intended for use on your rod guides.

That's just a rebranded sniper rifle cover. They have been in use in the military for a long time....
Well, I suppose something different is needed to tote around a .50 cal behemoth. Not many folks hunt with those guns. Same snipers probably also wear those strappy multipocket military backpack things named after a woman. Not what I need for hunting!

Well, I suppose something different is needed to tote around a .50 cal behemoth. Not many folks hunt with those guns. Same snipers probably also wear those strappy multipocket military backpack things named after a woman. Not what I need for hunting!

They aren't for carrying, they were originally intended to protect the crown and scope from damage when the rifle is strapped to a ruck or when it is being lugged in/out of trucks, helicopters, etc...

I do agree the attempts of gear makers trying to capitalize on the mil-gear explosion in the hunting world is silly.

I’m kind of surprised none of the $$$$ coolers have been mentioned.

I have almost bought one several times but just can’t ever pull the trigger on one.
I’ve got a couple nice ones. They do work well. My favorite is the one I found laying in a road ditch

I think Simms markets a lot of their stuff as being “Guide Grade,” like “You’ll fish as well as a guide with these fingernail clippers.” Not that they’re intended for use on your rod guides.
Yeah, of course I figured that out. I've been fly fishing for sixty years. But I bet a lot of the less initiated who find those nippers in their stocking wonder what the connection is between these things and the guides on their rods. The point being it's a dumb way for Simms to brand their stuff. But they don't care. Simms could put their name on brass plated dog turds and the things would still sell.

They aren't for carrying, they were originally intended to protect the crown and scope from damage when the rifle is strapped to a ruck or when it is being lugged in/out of trucks, helicopters, etc...

I do agree the attempts of gear makers trying to capitalize on the mil-gear explosion in the hunting world is silly.
Why would this three piece thing be any better than a full length one piece case? Less parts to keep track of. Seems dysfunctional to me.

Edit: Wait, I get it. The fifty cal sniper rifles are monster guns. Storing a one piece gun case for one of those could be something of a pain in the arse. Correction: These lunch box gun carriers/case thingys are dysfunctional in the hunting world. But they look "badass!" And that Seal Team tough guy look sells right now. e.g. camo everything, shaved heads, tattoos, caps on backwards, hillbilly beards, etc. I gotta laugh at people who are such slaves to fashion. They have no idea who they really are.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course I figured that out. I've been fly fishing for sixty years. But I bet a lot of the less initiated who find those nippers in their stocking wonder what the connection is between these things and the guides on their rods. The point being it's a dumb way for Simms to brand their stuff. But they don't care. Simms could put their name on brass plated dog turds and the things would still sell.
The brass plated dog turds are the new tactical sinkers for Euro nymphing, right? I’ll be sure to buy them if they’re the “guide” edition. ;)

I have almost bought one several times but just can’t ever pull the trigger on one.
I am salivating over the $250 yeti Go-Box that I think should be 2x as wide. My $30 Contico with plastic & wire hinges is just the right size (under airline oversize) but not as sturdy.

I’m currently debating if I want to take my rtic 65 on my winter vacation or just go buy a cheap one that doesn’t weigh 500 pounds.
It’s soooo heavy and it makes it a pita getting it in and out of the house and car.

You'd have to be on the high of the spectrum to even remotely think that those are for nipping rod guides. I could hand these to my 3 year old son and he'd know not to put those anywhere near rod guides.

I see. So undressing my rifle from a three piece gun case is quicker than pulling it out of a one piece case? 🤔

You sir, are just about impossible, and your arrogance about topics you know nothing about is amazing...

Clearly your experience hunting makes you fit to advise trained military snipers on the best way of employing and caring for their weapons systems. In case you were confused, I was being very, very, sarcastic.

I see. So undressing my rifle from a three piece gun case is quicker than pulling it out of a one piece case? 🤔
The one piece bag the Barrett’s go in require it to be broken down. Those lunch box deals were also for the 110s, covered the suppressor and kept dust out of the receiver. It makes sense if you’ve ever been under an aircraft that throws dust in to everything imaginable and don’t want the bulk of a full bag. Snipers have a lot of other shit to carry that go with their weapons.

The 3pc design of that rifle cover is meant for backpack hunting and saving weight. It’s designed to protect your rifle muzzle, scope/action and stock when the rifle is strapped to your backpack or slung over your shoulder while hiking especially in brush/nasty terrain. It also compacts very small when not in use unlike a bulky one piece case.
It’s astounding to me that you continually post comments about things you clearly have never used or most likely even seen.

Last edited:
The 3pc design of that rifle cover is meant for backpack hunting and saving weight. It’s designed to protect your rifle muzzle, scope/action and stock when the rifle is strapped to your backpack or slung over your shoulder while hiking especially in brush/nasty terrain. It also compacts very small when not in use unlike a bulky one piece case.
It’s astounding to me that you continually post comments about things you clearly have never used or most likely even seen.
Seem's a little defensive, though it makes sense that a dude from Ventura County likes bikinis, even when they're on a rifle...;)

I think they hit just right but I don't use them because I'm poor and I'd be scared to leave it in the back of the truck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back