Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting gear that punches BELOW its price point

You all are ruthless! Yes I own one and yes it belongs in this thread. Granted I really only use the middle part and the muzzle cover. The third piece (stock) is a PIA and has not been on the rifle since the initial setup.
I'm trying to wrap my head around why this three piece gun case would be any more advantageous than an ordinary soft case. Or simply slinging the rifle. When I'm hiking in rough steep country I much prefer to have the gun as close as possible to my center of gravity, not dangling out on the end of my arm. Why protect the rifle in bits and pieces rather than overall?

I'm trying to wrap my head around why this three piece gun case would be any more advantageous than an ordinary soft case. Or simply slinging the rifle. When I'm hiking in rough steep country I much prefer to have the gun as close as possible to my center of gravity, not dangling out on the end of my arm. Why protect the rifle in bits and pieces rather than overall?
I still use a sling, I basically use it as a scope cover. The only time I have even used the handle is on final approach if I’m sneaking into somewhere. In that case the handle is nice.

In some way you have grasp it if you are cutting it out.....however you grip it. Do what you like, but the Butt Out does what it is designed to do. When possible I do gutless anyway.
Nope, I've never grasped a butthole or stuck my finger in one. I always use my sharp knife to cut around it without touching it! I don't want any of that touching my meat let alone my finger that's going to touch all the meat. To each their own I guess!

Little side story.
IDF&G has a packet that they are sending to the recipients of moose tags. Its a pretty good array of test samples that they would like collected after the harvest. It filled a gallon ziplock bag. So my wife received one she read through it a few times to make sure we had what we needed. Through a few conversations she had given me the overview so I hadn't actually looked through it.
Well harvest day arrives and she pulls out the packet and starts reading me the instructions while my 5yr old is handing me supplies. Team work!
A vile of blood from a major artery ✔
Picture to scale ✔
Patch of skin ✔
Chunk of liver ✔
15 fecal pellets from the rectum.

So I reach in and grab a hand full of pellets as I'm turning around to put them in the bag I make eye contact with my now laughing wife who has been trying to hand me a pair of latex gloves to put on.

"Why did you do that"
She asked both of them laughing so hard they can hardly talk.

"For science?!"
Was all I could get to come out before the laughing became too contagious 🤣

Sorry for the derail.

This one will shock a few folks: Kent FastSteel. In Montana I recently had to pay $30/box for the last two boxes of steel shotgun shells in the state. Now, I've used Kent in the past with, how should I put it ... vastly contrasting results. For a long time those were my go to ammo for geese. Then about ten years ago I bought my usual two boxes of 3 inch BB @1550 fps. The first box yielded only two honkers. I mean, on a BAD day I might bat .500 shooting geese with Kent. What the ...? Next box maybe two shells DIDN'T bring down geese. It was NOT me. Something was wrong with that first box. Thereafter I stuck to Walmart Winchester ammo and did just fine. Fast forward to this year. These two thirty dollar boxes were 3" #4 @ unknown fps (Kent did not lable velocity or drams eq anywhere on the boxes). Three inch shells are overkill for pheasants but I had to have steel on the refuge and no 2 3/4" steel shells were available anywhere. My buddy gave me a box of Federal 3" #4 and I cleaned up with them till they were gone. Opened up the Kent shells and again back to getting one bird in eight shells ... maybe. Before that I was MISSING pheasants on average 1 of every 4.5 shells. Man, something is wrong! Luckily in my ammo box I found half a box of Super X steel #5 shot 2.75" left over from last year and finished up the season with those. Back to my 1/4.5 miss per shots average. I tried everything with those Kent shells: changing my lead, changing chokes, changing LOP. Nothing worked. Some shots were total gimme and as far as I could tell those shells never dusted a feather. Wish there had been a patterning board somewhere so I could see what the hell was going on. I gave the unopened second box to my buddy who donated the Federal shells. He almost soiled himself when he saw the price tag.
I have had this happen too. I swear there are duds in kent. I will never shoot them again

MADD calls “Dead Silence” turkey locator call. It was basically a dog whistle that supposedly achieved a pitch that only turkeys could hear. Used it for 2 years and never got a gobbler to respond to it. Berkeley Vanish fluorocarbon fishing line. It just sucks.

I used to buy from an outdoor brand and then that company’s president supported anti-public land political candidates in Montana. He gave money to the very people who are doing everything they can do end public access and privatize our wildlife. Then the people who he helped get into power gave him a commission to further both his and their agenda. There is no price point or quality level of gear that can justify giving your hard earned money to a company who is using that money to undermine your best interests. Many feel betrayed and you will not see a self respecting sportsman using their equipment in a few years.
and why are you not being more detailed?

It’s interesting to hear about the Kent problems. Love the 1 1/4 ounce fast lead 5s for pheasants.

They're only $50 because they are knockoffs on the real deal. Only $85 🤣

View attachment 205422
Why the heck do people buy $85 fingernail clippers!? This is also from the company that makes like $700 heavy drag reels that people use to catch and play 14” trout when old eBay $20 Martin click and pawls are perfectly sufficient.

I need to start a company making some shiny fly fishing crap and get rich.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back