Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting/fishing kayak

wyo elk,

I've done a couple kayak rental type trips and I was not impressed with the inflatable's handling characteristics versus an ocean kayak. They were SOAR
brand kayaks so I'm not sure if it was their design or inflatables in general....could you weigh in on that?

wyo elk,

I've done a couple kayak rental type trips and I was not impressed with the inflatable's handling characteristics versus an ocean kayak. They were SOAR
brand kayaks so I'm not sure if it was their design or inflatables in general....could you weigh in on that?

Partly it is related to use, whitewater boats are designed to maneuver quickly rather than track. Pretty sure someone in an ocean kayak using their hands can beat a whitewater kayak-er with a paddle in a sprint across a lake. I imagine that difference is partly what you were experiencing.

I have used one of these for many years - live basically on the Henrys Fork of the Snake River and this thing goes up river fairly well in less than 1500 CFS - with one paddler. Works well with one or two people. Inexpensive, durable and very stable - you can put a deer on it, and will hold enough gear for overnighters.

Lifetime Sport Fisher Angler 100 Kayak (with Paddles) Camouflage ( Sams Club / WM )

I've run up to class 3-4 on inflatables and loved them. You need some practice getting used to their maneuverability and you will never match the agile white water hard body kayaks. That being said, in my experience you can load them with gear easier and with more stability. They can roll up and store super quick. The plastic used for the tubing is extremely durable. You can use them on anything from lake fishing to white water. Unlike a hard sit in, you're not waiting 30 minutes to drain your boat if you have to pull skirt.

I have no experience on the flatter bottomed ocean kayaks, so cannot weigh in on those. Several of my boating friends have used the bigger paddle boards on lower flow, over night trips, which I could see working in a gentle river or stream for hunting. I will say, I currently own a 13.5 foot raft and will be buying an inflatable kayak for shorter camping / day trips this summer or next.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back