Hunting/fishing kayak

mdunc8

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sit-on-top kayak that could be used for fishing largeish rivers, an occasional duck, and putzing around nearby lakes with my boys? Maybe large enough to squeeze on enough gear for a 1-2 night float. It would be great if I could squeeze a quartered deer onto it without making it too difficult to maneuver. I'd prefer a hard boat rather than an inflatable. I really like some of the boats Jackson makes, but they're awfully pricey. The Perceptions I've seen seem to be decent, but maybe a tad too small for what I'd like to do. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on one without testing them out or getting some insight from someone who's used them. Any insight I could get would be much appreciated.

Current designs solara 145t. It’s a tandem with a slidable seat that positions as a solo. Plenty of room for gear and if your kids want to go they have their own seat. They are made in Minnesota. A good kayak shop will let you paddle the before you buy it. If you are close to NE Iowa you can try one of mine anytime.

I've been using a Wilderness Tarpon 140 for years. Solid, takes 4 ft. Seas and has room in the hull and on the stern.

I prefer the maneuverability/tracking you get with hard boats. Also like the lower profile, which helps during windy conditions. I realize I’m losing many of the benefits of inflatables (weight, packability, capacity, etc.).

I have a Perception Sound 10.5, however its a sit-inside. Believe Perception also makes it in 12.5. I like the open back because it can fit camping gear for weekend kayak trips. Also has a rod holder for fishing and Ram mount ports. I haven't use it for hunting yet, but I think you could fit a boned out deer in the back. Not sure I'd use it for duck hunting or on large wavy lakes though. There are plenty of you tube videos on the sound 10.5 including one from the "hunting public" titled "our favorite hunting kayaks - pros and cons".

I use a canoe and kayak a lot. A kayak if alone, on the sea, and not moving from one body of water to another. A canoe if others are with me, river/lake, carrying from one body of water to another and if a large amount of goods are going in or a large amount is hopefully coming out. Some feel they can paddle a kayak easier, I feel one is not easier than the other, just different . I just wanted to mention the canoe as an option to the kayak under certain conditions while your in the "thinking about it" stage. Like, glass eye, I was wondering, why not, an inflatable, they have their advantages for sure--and disadvantages as well. Ice, rocks can poke a hole, as can Arctic squirrels an porcupines , but they can be patched and are easily transported. Best of luck on your choice and on your adventures with your boys.

P.s another reason I thought of a canoe is you did not say how many boys or their ages--plus when deciding, think about getting one larger than you think you will need

I've been using a pirogue for ducks, turkeys, and deer hunting for years. It's more at home on backwater, though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sit-on-top kayak that could be used for fishing largeish rivers, an occasional duck, and putzing around nearby lakes with my boys? Maybe large enough to squeeze on enough gear for a 1-2 night float. It would be great if I could squeeze a quartered deer onto it without making it too difficult to maneuver. I'd prefer a hard boat rather than an inflatable. I really like some of the boats Jackson makes, but they're awfully pricey. The Perceptions I've seen seem to be decent, but maybe a tad too small for what I'd like to do. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on one without testing them out or getting some insight from someone who's used them. Any insight I could get would be much appreciated.

I have one of the Pelican 12x... And it's awesome. However, with that said... some of the new kayaks that manage a standing position... Price wise, this is fantastic. I dig it. Catch 20lb pike from it and no problem ... the only reservation I have with the newer wide flat type are the lakes I troll around for the pike and rougher water hits up... those flat ones would be a PITA whereas this one will hold better... not great though it doesn't end the day fishing....
enforcer-120-angler_d0c879783fc6471abef5d80ce64adb18.png

What region are you in? A large river in Colorado is a lot different than a large river in Missouri. Hazards are different, and maneuverability and draft can take a back seat to tracking and capacity. And what sort of budget?

I've had a few future beach kayaks I liked for their stability and draft on smaller Ozark rivers, but wouldn't dare take it on the truly large water there. They aren't exactly "stand up" fishing yaks, either, but I've had a hard time trying to tip them- you'll probably fall off before it rolls.

I've used both. Kayak all the way. Maybe for two people, canoes have a chance to compete though for fishing... Kayaks, 100%

Reason being, tip a sit on top kayak, meh, you get wet. Climb aboard and back to fishing... Not the case in a canoe and probably the main difference for myself, canoes are wind sails in comparison to kayaks...

I'll upload a video of Pike fishing on a kayak. For shnitz n grins... Pretty darn awesome when they pull you around. Haha!

I'm not sure if this works to place a link here though I'll give it a try. I had my phone in a waterproof case around my neck so the video isn't a quality based setting though for those interested, it's a reasonable video for kayak fishing. (Edit: upon review of the video, I believe on this occasion, I had the phone video rolling with it outside the case... Had it in my pocket or pinched between my vest and chest...

Also, to note, I have carabiners with pcord attached to a drybag that holds tpaper, lunch/snacks, etc... A simple tackle box with the pcord tied to the handle, long nose pliers, etc. Everything is attached except my water bottle and my rods. I've thought about pcord attaching those though, thus far I've not lost one. /Finding some wood to knock on... Haha!

Deleted video... The Google link shared the location and "notellum" is a classified location... haha! Bah, thought that would work though not for public forums...

Last edited:
Inflatable kayaks are the way to go in my opinion. I do a lot of water sports in the summer and this would be my go-to budget one. AIRE and NRS make similar kayaks that will offer a bit more cargo room if needed.

https://www.nrs.com/product/87121.03/tributary-tomcat-tandem-inflatable-kayak

For reference on being able to pack gear I took the kayak above on a four night - five day camping float on the Smith last summer. I fit myself, a medium cooler, x2 dry bags and all my float gear on the boat no problem. I'm positive you could do a deer trip with one of these. I've never really enjoyed the hard boats for several reasons, I think inflatables are a better option all around.

Bass pro has the ascent brand and they have a "hybrid". It basically is a sit on top but has deeper sides like a canoe. It is super stable and you can stand in it. It can hold 400lbs. So lots of extra for gear. It also has good storage options. And I think it was only $700

Inflatable kayaks are the way to go in my opinion. I do a lot of water sports in the summer and this would be my go-to budget one. AIRE and NRS make similar kayaks that will offer a bit more cargo room if needed.

https://www.nrs.com/product/87121.03/tributary-tomcat-tandem-inflatable-kayak

For reference on being able to pack gear I took the kayak above on a four night - five day camping float on the Smith last summer. I fit myself, a medium cooler, x2 dry bags and all my float gear on the boat no problem. I'm positive you could do a deer trip with one of these. I've never really enjoyed the hard boats for several reasons, I think inflatables are a better option all around.

The majority of my river experience has been in canoes, although I've done a fair bit of rafting, some kayaking, and a tiny bit of pack rafting. I lean towards canoes over kayaks, simply because I think they are more comfortable and can fit more gear. Seems like if you in lakes/ocean/big rivers the hard body kayak is the way to go, but if you are mainly in smaller rivers then inflatable all the way.

Not sure if I would go pack raft or inflatable canoe, one the one hand you have durability on the other you have versatility and the ability to fly with your boat.

Deer hunts, out of a boat are awesome. I would love to do an elk or moose hunt, a la Rinella in The Wild Within episode 4.

My spring hog hunting in southern Oklahoma led me to the conclusion that having a kayak or canoe will make getting away from the crowd for deer season a lot easier. I had pretty much decided on the perception striker 11.5 sit on top, then I got to thinking about how my grandfather would approach this idea. Now my daughter and I will be building one of these for our summer project instead: https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/sel-waterman12.htm
Plenty of capacity for hauling deer out, or floating a lazy river for a few days and its short enough to toss in the back of the truck.

Back