NEW SITKA Ambient 75

hunting elk with PSE StingerX

Novice

First time hunting elk with PSE StingerX. I will likely set the draw at 50lbs.

I think my maximum range would be at 60 yards and preferably 40 yards.

I have been practicing at the range between 75 and 100 yards and I just do get enough accuracy to take that long of a shot. At 50 yards I get a tight package.

Looking for your comments or advise.

I'm new to hunting (period) big game, and I never get why people practice at 100 yards when preparing for a archery hunt. When I'm at the range I'm at 40 yards 15-20 arrows shot one at a time with my broadhead. 20 yards I might shoot 5, and the same with 30. 50 yards is 3 arrows. If I hit that little 4"x4" sheet of paper on all 3 I call it a day. I don't practice 60 yards because I never intend to take a shot that long with my bow ever. I have a 08' PSE Pro Series X Force 7 Drury Outdoor Edition bow set 65lbs with 60% let off. I can hold at full draw for a while, been practicing of course, but it's easier.

I wouldn't waste time at such long shots. To me that's not the purpose of hunting with a bow. Practice so you get more then comfortable with in a certain, yet very effective kill range. Ethical shots are what we all strive for. A 100 yard shot sounds like a prayer to me.

When I had the means, I practiced shooting at longer distances than I would ever take a shot in real life. Rather than shooting at your maximum confidence limit, you are shooting well inside of it. Gaining confidence by practicing at longer ranges can create greater confidence and a bigger comfort zone when the animal steps in to your kill box. You can achieve similar results by shooting smaller targets, which gives the visual effect of shooting at longer distance. However, it won't teach you how to compensate for external effects on the bullet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I was at the range today and was shooting 30 yards. That was the longest the range could support. What I found was I was getting a tight package, but it was far left and low. At 30 yards I was able to sight in the bow. At the longer ranges I was not getting a tight package, so I could tell if the bow was sighted or not.

I'm super new to bow hunting myself, but I'm transferring my rifle shooting discipline from the Corps to the bow. My yard affords me 60 yards, shooting at a 20" x 24" field point target I DIY'ed from old carpet and some scrap lumber. Obviously shooting at smaller targets to simulate distance really only works for rifles. Didn't want to get called out for a misunderstanding. 1467854021119.jpg20160718_191849.jpg

Last edited:
In the last two years I personally know of 11 bulls hit, 3 recovered. Common denominator was years hunting and shot distance. The old guys got close, knew where to hit them, had the skill to make the shot and took their bulls home.
The other day I was shooting next to a guy who was 4" low, had to have the shop adjust his sight because he couldn't, yet mentioned he was good out to 80 for his upcoming hunt. In 45 years I've never shot one past 35, most less than 20.
My advise is to work on things that matter; the skills needed to get close and to put the arrow in the proper spot. All the internet chatter about field points hitting with broadheads out to 80 doesn't mean shiit if you can't put the arrow into the center of the lungs.

Quite frequently a low left grouping indicates that you may be griping your bow too tightly and are torquing it. If you are on at 20, but then low left at 30, have someone video you shooting, or have someone who knows what they are talking about watch you. I would definitely recommend a good cut on contact fixed blade broadhead too.

Thank you. Given the responses and some research online, I have adjusted my approach. I will not be taking any longer shots. Even 60 yards is too far to ensure I have a kill shot. By doing a good job of scouting we can get a much closer shot. I watched a you tube video of a bow hunter who was within 5 yards of an elk and was undetected. The last thing I want is to wound an animal and then not be able to track it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back