Hunting Elk In Their Beds?

RJH

Have killed a few elk since my early days in the 80's and all were either feeding or coming from or going to their beds. All were shot with a rifle of some caliber or another. Since most of my shots were less than 100 yards - thought I would take up archery a few years back. The Elk have been better off for my decision! This last year I was hunting solo in Colorado Unit 161 near the Colorado/Wyoming border the weather was very hot, little or no bugles and the elk were hold up in their north facing beds half way up a couple of mountains. After the first week I decided to try to ambush them in their beds in two different locations and once in found virtually the same environment, lots of water, tiny open spots with plenty of food and of course lots of cover. Virtually no need for them to leave other than hunting pressure. Unfortunately, no matter how quite and stealth I tried to be they had to hear me coming a mile a way. Believe my scent and camo was fine did get within petting distance of a couple of cows. So after reviewing my notes and maps of last season thought I would throw out the question to any of you guys and gals that have experience hunting elk in their beds that you do not mind sharing. Thanks from a frustrated archer.

Ron

In those dark, cool stanky bedding areas, they are safe. I don't trespass, but instead wait for the opportunity when they are coming or going from the bed.

I have been able to move within 50 yards if I am noisy and stay downwind. Works best if I approach from uphill (top of the ridge) early in the morning. I make no effort to be quiet and keep several different cow calls active in my mouth. But I have zero archery kills.

I was in them four days straight last season morning and night....and couldn't fill a tag. The reason was that they were hearded up and had eyes freakin' everywhere. I can't say if it was their bedding area for sure, but I will say all four days it was the exact same location and they would come and go to this area as they pleased. There were just too many of them at once though....it was impossible to close the deal.

With a bow and one or two animals it's possible, but not probable. Different story with a rifle, but the more eyes and noses there are makes that difficult too. The smarter thing to do is stay away even with that and catch them coming and going!

I have not had the fortune of coming upon bedded elk. That would really be cool, I think. I've definitely been in bedding areas but unfortunately, spooked them too far out, didn't even know there were bedding areas there and as a result, never even saw one.

I stumbled upon a nice 6 point bull bedded down once while bowhunting for mule deer in the rain. I had pretty much given up on elk as the rut was winding down plus I had a breaks rifle tag in my pocket. If It wasnt for an unseen limb I would have had him! A bull with a harem is a different story though, definately a tough nut to crack with all of those extra eyes.

They bed, then they get up and graze..bed and graze. Catch them, or move in when they move out for that 20 minutes to eat?, or get out there early and wait their trail. Timing and luck baby.

I appreciate it guys - sat and watch a couple of trails going into their beds for a week - if they left it was after dark and they returned when it was still dark. Was able to call two different cows out to about 4 feet that was cool but no bulls. Lets hope the weather helps out a bit this year.

It's game over once a herd beds. I only engage when they are on the move.

I find it hard to believe so many people would give up here when an animal can be in a very vulnerable position once it beds up. I shot this first bull at 25 yards when he and his 15-16 cows bedded up for the day. This is the second bull I have snuck up to within easy kill range while bedded. It took me an hour and a half to close the last 40 or so yards but if you have the wind right, you move SLOW enough, be extremely alert to his eyes and the rest of the elk, it is definately possible.
Same story on second bull, they were really not very vocal for being mid september so we decided to take a chance and still hunt the north facing timber. Walked right into this giant bull and his 20+ cows. He was actually walking around amongst his bedded cows when we actually shot him but regardless we snuck into 45 yards of all these elk in their beds. It takes a lot more patience but can be done.

The only "game over" in these situations were for the bulls! (have also had many more stalk attempts fail than are successful, but you definately won't be successful without trying;))

Attachments

• Matt 09 Bull 1-1.jpg
    Matt 09 Bull 1-1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,198
  • Montana Bull 09.jpg
    Montana Bull 09.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,346
  • Colorado Elk.JPG
    Colorado Elk.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,287
  • Zach Elk 4-1.JPG
    Zach Elk 4-1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,443
I had to wait for this one to stand up before I could shoot so I didn't technically shoot him in his bed. It was fairly open PJ and sage country. I didn’t even know he was there at first; I was just following tracks into the cover and had spotted some cows. But I had a really steady wind that was loud enough to cover up a little noise.

elk2003.jpg

Although gun hunting I shot this one in his bed at about 70 yards. He never stood up.

P10004681.jpg

One of my old favorite hunts was a really big lodgepole bedding area the last week of the Colorado archery season. You had to hunt it east to west for the wind, but you could crawl around and be in elk almost all day if the rut was cranking.

I am not Chuckie or Cameron but I would rather risk spooking them and get a shot than sit around all day with my thumb up my nose. I can go find other elk. Always seems like rutting elk especially are always moving and changing their bedding areas a little bit all the time anyway. I am not going to count on them being there the next day. I know that puts me in the minority.

But maybe that is why I never shoot the big dudes!!!!!!!!

It was 1993 but I still remember this dinker standing up out of his bed at 40 yards or so. Nasty, nasty spruce/fir with blow down as well, but I would not have shot a elk that year sitting around watching a meadow all day.

ScannedImage-30.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Dink..i agree, i only nap during the day if I'm tired, its not to give up on the elk...........its apparent Greenhorn hasn't made it to work this morning, I can't wait for the 3 pages of pictures response to "not hunting elk in the timber"..........

Critter, if you ever want an old man to carry your gear, cook your meals just drop me a note...lol

Nice Bull, congrats

Ron

I hang on the outside of the bedding area and do a soft Cow call sporadicly. The Bulls don't stay down all day and will get up to check on cows. Many times they will come over to check on your cow calling and you might get the shot. I don't call much though.

Nice pics guy's...

If I had the opportunity and conditions were right, I wouldn't hesitate stalking an elk in his bed....

To me, that's a helluva lot more exciting that calling and waiting...

Back