Hunting Elk In Bear Country

shrapnel

I have lived in grizzly county my entire life. I even killed one when I was a kid. Bears have been a constant resident since my grandfather homesteaded over 100 years ago.

I never worried about it as a kid, we rode horses all over the place and spent our days in the woods.

Hunting the woods around here makes me a bit nervous, but I still hunt elk and grouse. While hunting this fall we found a bow killed elk that someone lost and a bear found it. Too bad, it was a nice bull.

Today, I am spooked about being out here with the grizzlies. They are here and you are a sandwich.

A0FB5429-AE06-4E66-8FF5-148F9C28FE83.jpeg436F8CCC-FE90-4E60-BD6C-F2299C05DC54.jpegD2BD0EFF-E324-490E-AEAF-7A2FF630E37B.jpeg

Go with your boys or grandkids even they’re loud And playful. That thing will be gone in a week or two and the head will be within 100 yards.

You’re gonna get a roadkill tag for him and harvest what you can right? 😁😉

Go with your boys or grandkids even they’re loud And playful. That thing will be gone in a week or two and the head will be within 100 yards.

You’re gonna get a roadkill tag for him and harvest what you can right? 😁😉
Nope, no interest in the elk at all. It has made all the excitement we can get from a single elk.

The guy that wounded it isn’t headed there any time soon.

That is awesome! Definitely spooky to be out there at times, but amazing how efficient mother nature is in cleaning up after herself.

Wow, talk about cleaned up. Do you think anything just got drug off or literally everything was eaten?

Super interesting series of pics. Whats the time line between those?
The dead elk was found last Wednesday. Friday morning we found it buried. The bear pictures were all within 24 hours of finding the buried elk.

The clean up was found this morning. I don’t have a card reader to check pictures, but I picked up the camera….

Like playing with fire returning to that kill site that many times, in the future you may want to limit your exposure. I go on high alert when I see Ravins or yotes that’s the tip off most of the time. With the increase in hunting pressure I’m getting into situations like you much more often, but not by choice.

Last edited:
Back