Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Cows in Idaho

DaveA27

My son drew a great cow tag the Sawtooths of Idaho. I had the same tag last year and had a tough time finding critters in early November up there. Last year was an odd year, with a really wet spring. The F&G biologist said plenty of water was keeping the herds up higher later in the season than in years past. Anyone have any sage advice for a couple of new hunters? Piles of information about locating bulls in the late season, but nothing on cows. We're completely new to elk hunting and any help/strong opinions is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

I had a November cow elk tag last year too, in a different area of the state. I also had trouble finding elk, then blew my chance when I finally got one.

Look for food sources. East slopes often have more to eat. Bunchgrasses are a common elk food. Depending on conditions they may switch to browse plants like bitterbrush and mountain mahogany. I think a link to RMEF is within forum rules, so here's good info: https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/elks-favorite-food/

If you have a chance, scout in advance for areas that haven't been overgrazed by cattle. I scouted one of my favorite spots a month ago and found it had been stripped to the ground by cattle. Zero elk sign.

I usually start hunting at high elevation, then work my way down if I don't find them on top. That method depends a lot on the area though.

In my opinion, the best possible thing to help a November elk hunt is snow.

Good luck!

I have a bull tag this last week and next week it works for cow elk in Idaho, so late season. I'm seeing lots of sign lots of beds, scat and tracks on the tops of several mountains here. I'm not sure how old it is because it's 50s-60s at day and 20s at night, wind is also moving pretty often at 6000 ft. So how do I tell if a bed and scat is today or 3 days old in mountain top conditions? They are hard on the outside and soft inside. A few are rock hard seemingly older.
Also if Elk are bedding on the mountain tops or right over the edge, when would they do that? Mornings? Day time when it's warmer? Is hunting pressure the main thing to push them up? How long does the grass stay down?
Sorry for all the questions, new to Idaho and Elk....

Attachments

• 2020-10-30 (1).jpg
    2020-10-30 (1).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2020-10-30.jpg
    2020-10-30.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 5
The best way to tell if droppings are from today is taste they get a but tangy after a day

I thought they get less tangy after a day?

So how do I tell if a bed and scat is today or 3 days old in mountain top conditions? They are hard on the outside and soft inside. A few are rock hard seemingly older.

The scat in pic is old, scat of the day is soft, maybe a rind if warm and dry, maybe slightly frozen on outside if cold within a few hours, if real cold could freeze fast. A freshly used bed might still smell like elk, and probably fresh scat nearby, but beds will stay matted down for a long time.

be Careful in unit 41, 40 in Idaho. local LE are looking for reasons to confiscate game and guns in owyhee County Idaho. The sheriff over there has placed two extreme anti-gun, anti-hunting liberals in charge there and it is not a hunt friendly place anymore. If Bidens wins the residents there are going to have to resist gun confiscation.

be Careful in unit 41, 40 in Idaho. local LE are looking for reasons to confiscate game and guns in owyhee County Idaho. The sheriff over there has placed two extreme anti-gun, anti-hunting liberals in charge there and it is not a hunt friendly place anymore. If Bidens wins the residents there are going to have to resist gun confiscation.
Thanks for the warning!

You should be banned from Hunt Talk for posting nonsense like this.

My son drew a great cow tag the Sawtooths of Idaho. I had the same tag last year and had a tough time finding critters in early November up there. Last year was an odd year, with a really wet spring. The F&G biologist said plenty of water was keeping the herds up higher later in the season than in years past. Anyone have any sage advice for a couple of new hunters? Piles of information about locating bulls in the late season, but nothing on cows. We're completely new to elk hunting and any help/strong opinions is welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Best advice I can give you is:

1. Go whenever you can
2. Unless you have good intel on where to find the elk, I'd start fairly high and look for fall greenup
3. If you get a good blast of snow, beg, borrow or steal to be out the first nice day after the storm.

Thanks gents. I spent a couple of days last weekend scouting around. Not much sign down low yet. I'm pretty hopeful for these snow storms in the forecast. I'm planning to get my son out a few days around thanksgiving. Should be plenty of snow down and hopefully the critters will come down from the high country.

I had a November cow elk tag last year too, in a different area of the state. I also had trouble finding elk, then blew my chance when I finally got one.

Look for food sources. East slopes often have more to eat. Bunchgrasses are a common elk food. Depending on conditions they may switch to browse plants like bitterbrush and mountain mahogany. I think a link to RMEF is within forum rules, so here's good info: https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/elks-favorite-food/

If you have a chance, scout in advance for areas that haven't been overgrazed by cattle. I scouted one of my favorite spots a month ago and found it had been stripped to the ground by cattle. Zero elk sign.

I usually start hunting at high elevation, then work my way down if I don't find them on top. That method depends a lot on the area though.

In my opinion, the best possible thing to help a November elk hunt is snow.

Good luck!
Good advice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back