Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting Camp

macnshana

I have a question for everyone. How many folks still meet each year for the old style hunting camp? By this I mean a group of guys/gals planning all year for a hunt and then meeting up at a base camp. I remember when I was growing up in the swamps of Florida the month of December was spent at deer camp with upwards of a dozen or more like minded folks. I've noticed that being in the west for the last 14 years it doesn't seem to be as popular. Or maybe I just haven't been in the right area. Or maybe people just can't afford to do this anymore. Either way, sound off if this topic interests you.

I still do it, but the group changes. Mostly its because of family obligations or time off not available. When I lived in NY we had had the same guys, same cabin, same hunting grounds. I treasure those memories. I wish I had more.

I think the answer to your questions about old style camps being gone is partly because of geography but also a growing change in philosophies of hunting and styles within our subculture. I think the pursuit of more inches instead of meat (although there is a resurgence of a type) and individualistic goals has made it less of a group effort.

I still do it, but the group changes. Mostly its because of family obligations or time off not available. When I lived in NY we had had the same guys, same cabin, same hunting grounds. I treasure those memories. I wish I had more.

I think the answer to your questions about old style camps being gone is partly because of geography but also a growing change in philosophies of hunting and styles within our subculture. I think the pursuit of more inches instead of meat (although there is a resurgence of a type) and individualistic goals has made it less of a group effort.

Good point. Maybe its the contest for antler size rather than the comradery and quest to fill the freezer. I also enjoyed it immensely and I still do today. Our hunting camp is one of the highlights of our year.

I agree it's possibly mostly a geographical thing. Eastern/midwestern states and especially those with more large cities and industrialized history are steeped in the tradition of hunting camps. Folks working in the mills and factories only exposure to wildlife and hunting was traveling to the woods/mountains. Some were family camps, or clubs/organizations, sometimes a group of friends that all went in together. I think historically the idea of having a cabin or camp may also have been the result of transportation available at the time when cars were not as reliable and the highway system was not yet developed just driving out for the morning/afternoon/day was not as conceivable as it is today. I also think it can be traced back in some cases to the boom of hunting and outdoor related activities that occurred post WWII when many young men returned from the war and found a sense of solace, companionship, and brotherhood from camping in the woods with their pals.

Last edited:
It's still a big part of the deer hunting tradition here in MI. Thankfully a lot of the old timers are getting the younger ones involved and passing along that tradition.

I agree it's possibly mostly a geographical thing. Eastern/midwestern states and especially those with more large cities and industrialized history are steeped in the tradition of hunting camps. Folks working in the mills and factories only exposure to wildlife and hunting was traveling to the woods/mountains. Some were family camps, or clubs/organizations, sometimes a group of friends that all went in together. I think historically the idea of having a cabin or camp may also have been the result of transportation available at the time when cars were not as reliable and the highway system was not yet developed just driving out for the morning/afternoon/day was not as conceivable as it is today. I also think it can be traced back in some cases to the boom of hunting and outdoor related activities that occurred post WWII when many young men returned from the war and found a sense of solace, companionship, and brotherhood from camping in the woods with their pals.

Well said and a good theory. I hadn't thought of it that way. My wife's 92 year old grandfather lives with us and is a WWII veteran and often speaks of hunting camps in WI and UT. The glory days of hunting he calls it. They would load into his 1942 Ford and head out to hunt in places that we now need 15+ points to hunt.

As some people have already said I think the lack of traditional yearly hunting camps being a thing of the past because back in the "old days" you could just buy a deer or elk tag on your way out of town and hunt where ever you wanted.
Nowdays with drawings and quotas and specific hunting units it's difficult to plan to go hunting every year in the same place.

Great points by everyone. Tags could also play a part in it. In Florida we were aloud two deer a day and four in your possession. If you ate one or gave it away, you could go get another. If we ran out of deer to hunt because we met our limit we would go shoot hogs. Out here in many states getting a tag is sometimes difficult. A group getting tags in the same area can be almost non existent without luck. I want to believe if it was possible people still would have hunting camps. I don't know if I remember a better time in my life. It also got the children more involved. I believe the hunting camp helped start the next generation of hunter on the right path and allowed the older generations to pass down not only good ways to hunt but also the ethics that go along with it. I hope it does not become a lost tradition.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back