Caribou Gear

Hunting cabin

Dakotakid

Anyone hunting the east side of the Bob Marshall this year?
I purchase an acre within walking distance and am working on cabin designs. Wondering how many people hunt benchmark or Gibson? Depending on progress I might follow the Wyoming cabin owner and make it available for DIY hunters when I am not using it.

I prefer Leave No Trace. It's why I haven't relocated back to Montana in my retirement and only return to visit during hunting season. I want to help it stay the same. The Flathead Valley was a great place to grow up. Looking at what it's become today breaks my heart. I see it happening to the East Side now too. You do what you want but I won't be a part of wrecking "the last best place".

I prefer Leave No Trace. It's why I haven't relocated back to Montana in my retirement and only return to visit during hunting season. I want to help it stay the same. The Flathead Valley was a great place to grow up. Looking at what it's become today breaks my heart. I see it happening to the East Side now too. You do what you want but I won't be a part of wrecking "the last best place".
You are just a ray of sunshine 🌞

Dang you really do relish being that guy....

Just some friendly advice; water right doesn't mean right to access. If you haven't checked on an easement yet to access your water source I would recommend it.

Also, shared wells are a pain in the ass and lead to trouble. I'd highly recommend having your own water source on your own property.

Just some friendly advice; water right doesn't mean right to access. If you haven't checked on an easement yet to access your water source I would recommend it.

Also, shared wells are a pain in the ass and lead to trouble. I'd highly recommend having your own water source on your own property.

I got well logs from surrounding properties, depth seems to be about 140. It looks like same driller did the other wells. I need to call for cost estimate. The current shared well was part of the original plat in 1972. Access was in original restriction but not the most convenient and not really long term. If I can fit septic and well I will.
Neighbor said he hadn’t been to his cabin in 3 years and is talking about tear down and rebuild.

Looking to build small vermin proof cabin. With ability to add on.
Not a mcCabin.

I have a very similar setup in Wyoming. Cabin is about 25’x25’. One bedroom downstairs with a loft over half. Small kitchen and bathroom. Pretty standard design. We have a well that is shared with adjoining lot. Nothing on that lot so not 100% sure what we will do if they look to also use the well in the future. Put in septic. That was fairly simple. The lot is about a mile from a maintained county road. No winter truck access but snowshoes work fine. Lots 10 acres and borders NF on two sides. Sits in general elk and deer area. Can hunt right out the front door. Elk is fantastic out the door. Better bucks take a little travel but it is nice to have a warm place to spend a night after a few days on the Mnt. Takes a good deal of upkeep so make sure you like that sort of stuff. I do. My place runs off a combination of gas generator and solar. Line power is a mile away but I would never dream of running line power to the cabin as it would just encourage more and bigger development. I assume that will inevitably happen but o don’t want to do anything to encourage it. C374FD4A-109E-40B2-A76B-286C2CD54209.jpeg225DBEBC-214F-4DF6-A2AE-1BED9BDEE42D.jpeg

Anyone hunting the east side of the Bob Marshall this year?
I purchase an acre within walking distance and am working on cabin designs. Wondering how many people hunt benchmark or Gibson? Depending on progress I might follow the Wyoming cabin owner and make it available for DIY hunters when I am not using it.
Tons of guys hunt that area, you shouldn't have any problem filling it

Mulecreek,
That looks great.
Any trouble keeping vermin out? Small rodent kind not the two legged rodent kind.

Mulecreek,
That looks great.
Any trouble keeping vermin out? Small rodent kind not the two legged rodent kind.
I wouldn’t say mice are a problem but we catch a few every year. Spring and fall is when they try to come in. We are there most weekends from Memorial Day to end of October. Always set a few traps before we leave. Probably catch 2-4 a year. Put bait in crawl space when I winterize it. That seems to work. Also keep my wife’s slippers in a covered tote over winter. She learned the hard way that they like to nest in them

My thoughts are to separate food/kitchen area from sleeping living quarters. A bunk house and a separate kitchen, dining and lounge.

I have a very similar setup in Wyoming. Cabin is about 25’x25’. One bedroom downstairs with a loft over half. Small kitchen and bathroom. Pretty standard design. We have a well that is shared with adjoining lot. Nothing on that lot so not 100% sure what we will do if they look to also use the well in the future. Put in septic. That was fairly simple. The lot is about a mile from a maintained county road. No winter truck access but snowshoes work fine. Lots 10 acres and borders NF on two sides. Sits in general elk and deer area. Can hunt right out the front door. Elk is fantastic out the door. Better bucks take a little travel but it is nice to have a warm place to spend a night after a few days on the Mnt. Takes a good deal of upkeep so make sure you like that sort of stuff. I do. My place runs off a combination of gas generator and solar. Line power is a mile away but I would never dream of running line power to the cabin as it would just encourage more and bigger development. I assume that will inevitably happen but o don’t want to do anything to encourage it. View attachment 175758View attachment 175759
That's awesome. Love it!

I've hunted both areas. Each fall you will find it pretty busy with a lot of guys hunting off of horse back. The weather plays a big role in the numbers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back