Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting after knee replacement

b_ilse

I’m curious for those that have had full or partial knee replacements; how long before you hunted again? Did it affect how you hunt? How was the aches and pain during the hunt?

I’m currently laid up 2 weeks post-op from a partial knee replacement. Got a long road or recovery and therapy for hunting this fall. One way or another I’ll be out there!!

My dad is 67, and had both knees replaced in two separate procedures last year, 3 months apart. I think he was about 6 months post op when we went sage grouse and chukar hunting last October. He said he felt better than he had for years, but I feel that he was still not 100%. He took it very easy, and stayed near the truck, but wasn't really in pain, just tired. He's feeling really good these days, and I expect he'll be hiking all over if we get any tags this year.

Well, I had my right knee done 9 years ago. Had the left knee done Sept 2019. I'm just know getting out and going. But we have a foot of snow on the ground and the roads are just now opening up. Started walking slowly building up to longer distances. Figure a year to be back to/close to normal. But you have to do the rehab and push yourself there and then keep on improving. My goal is to get back into shape with hiking this summer. Doing some biking and hill climbing.
I had a set back that pushed me a month behind which the doctor said it happens sometimes. While in rehab and trying to bend and break the scar tissue I bled into the knee joint and it swelled big time. So I ended up fighting swelling and extra fluid. I'm out of rehab and doing what I need to do.
Remember ice and elevate for now it's your best friend.

Well, I had my right knee done 9 years ago. Had the left knee done Sept 2019. I'm just know getting out and going. But we have a foot of snow on the ground and the roads are just now opening up. Started walking slowly building up to longer distances. Figure a year to be back to/close to normal. But you have to do the rehab and push yourself there and then keep on improving. My goal is to get back into shape with hiking this summer. Doing some biking and hill climbing.
I had a set back that pushed me a month behind which the doctor said it happens sometimes. While in rehab and trying to bend and break the scar tissue I bled into the knee joint and it swelled big time. So I ended up fighting swelling and extra fluid. I'm out of rehab and doing what I need to do.
Remember ice and elevate for now it's your best friend.
+1
f.png

Can't testify to a knee. BUT my wife had both hips replaced in a 6-month span. A month after the first one she ran in a 5-mile timed run.
She is 64.
After suffering for many years before she says everyday Man I wish I had it done a long time ago.

BUT that said, I understand you HAVE TO DO ALL THE THERAPY CORRECTLY OR YOUR IN FOR PROBLEMS!!!

My dad's 68 and had both done about the last about 4 years ago the other shortly before that. I'd say it was 6-8 month's recovery time can't remember a 100%. He is a 100 times more active now then he was before. The on thing he always says is that he wished he'd have done it years earlier. Good luck and my best on a speedy recovery.

I'm 50 and need a knee replacement. Everything I hear and read is I'm too young and need to wait for 5 or more years. It's been bad for about 8 years now and seems to get just a bit worse each year where I feel like I can do just a little less each year. I think I can still do ok and mostly what I want, it's just a matter of tolerating the pain. It's the downhill that absolutely sucks anymore. My question to those that have had the procedure and say they're back to normal or 100% is what's normal and 100%? With a new knee could I do what I did 10 years ago? I doubt it. I'm looking forward to the day I can be more active without the pain.

Everything I hear and read is I'm too young and need to wait for 5 or more years.

There's some doctors out there that are stuck in the mindset that a replacement joint is tied to a certain age. I'm 35 and my doc didn't bat an eye over my age and needing a replacement. It seems like a lot of the concern is if you wear it out, then you might need another one in 10+ years. My thoughts are, if I feel great for those 10+ years and need another replacement then it's 100% worth it. You already know you're in pain so it can't get much worse. I don't think you'll ever be 100% but could get dang close.

It seems like a lot of the concern is if you wear it out, then you might need another one in 10+ years. My thoughts are, if I feel great for those 10+ years and need another replacement then it's 100% worth it.

Good point. The main thing I've heard and read is that there is still no real good way to replace a replacement knee. So this is why they only want to do it once.

Be faithful with your physical therapy and do the stretches and exercises they give you to do at home. My dad is 82 and had both knees replaced over the last year and a half. He was very diligent with his therapy and exercises and getting around much better than he was before.

I've hunted the mountains in Oct after a Feb replacement. It was a gimpy half assed attempt and the cardio (understandably) was not what it would be the following Oct. My doc allowed it but threatened me not to fall. Basically amputating the leg joint and reassembling takes a full year to weld spike to bone and regain new alignment to muscle memorize. You really don't want a do over. Octobers in the mountains have become my data point for elective health events for over two decades.

I had both knees replaced within 4 weeks on September 25th/October 26th 2018. I was back to work in construction January 7 of 2019 but I was not 100%. Probably about 80%. I would say I am now about 95% as I can’t kneel down on concrete anymore. My knees feel better than they have felt in 2 decades, unfortunately, surgery cannot rewind the clock. I’ll never get those years back or have the drive I once had. I also wish I had done it sooner. Both knees were full replacement. And a shoulder and 1 eye.

Pretty exciting week for me last week. Knee finally took a turn in the right direction and gained substantial ground. Doc gave me full clearance 5mo post-op. Been going for very short runs and continuing workouts. Elk hunting this fall is looking very promising health wise!!

My wife has been a year and a half for a full recovery on a knee replacement. I have a friend that had both knees at the same time and went sledding with kids in a month. I think it depends on the individual. The key in my mind is to be diligent in the therapy and stay active. You can go too far but you will know it.

i started elk season 8 wks after a hip replacement. No pain but did not recover endurance and strength till the end of the 5 wk season. The life of a hip replacement is longer than 39 years. I'm not sure about knees.
Pick a great doctor- they aren't all created equal.

Physical therapy and your intent on getting back to "normal" are key! I tore my ACL and had it replaced 8 years ago. 4 months and I was back at work, no restrictions. We had a trip to Alaska planned, and I wanted to be able to hike around and not have to sit out of any activities. When we went, I was actually in the best shape of my life due to the physical and occupational therapy I did.

A couple summers ago about mid-June I had total left knee replacement. By September 1 I was bowhunting with friends and continued hunting until rifle season closed the end of November. The first day out we went roughly 10 miles in and back. The walking was not real difficult and I had some pain. Not a lot but I took it easy and was very mindful of my steps especially on hillsides. I did not want to take a bad tumble or ask too much of my knee. It help up and I had a great fall. Still going on it now. I especially took it easy side-hilling and coming down slopes.

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering how things turned out for you. I had a logging accident 1-6-2021. Broke fibula tore acl and meniscus. Sprained mcl. For insurance reasons and other things i had surgery on 2-15-21. So I’m three weeks post surgery. I’ve gained from 55 flexion to 76 flexion in three visits plus I’m rehabbing every day at home. My extension is good. I’m hitting pt hard and will continue at it. I’m just worried about the flexion. My knee is tight and I’m scared as I’ve been a active outdoorsmen all my life. Has anyone experienced anything similar. Thx for all reply’s

Tore my meniscus in January had surgery February 9
pain gone right away
still a little tight and range of motion not totally back
still not great going down hill walking 2 plus miles a day while shed hunting you had more damage than me it will take time

Thx for reply. I’m walking with brace locked. My knee is so stiff. I couldn’t bend it for six weeks I think it will eventually loosen up as I’m hitting pt hard and doing everything they tell me

Back