Hunting after knee replacement

It was on 2-15 but I didn’t start therapy until 3-1. It was in a straight brace since 1-6 as I broke my fibula too. So I’ve only started bending it 2 weeks ago today

It was on 2-15 but I didn’t start therapy until 3-1. It was in a straight brace since 1-6 as I broke my fibula too. So I’ve only started bending it 2 weeks ago today
Oh geez! I don't like talking about broken bones! ☹!

My father had his knee joint replaced last year. He stopped hunting so as not to harm or damage the knee joint. However, he began to miss hunting after a while and could no longer stay at home. We bought a hinged knee brace for him that would support his knee.
His knee is in good condition, and my father goes hunting without any problems. Naturally, he behaves cautiously because the knee sometimes makes itself felt. However, on the whole, my father is happy with this knee brace.

Last edited:
New knee on July 2, 2020. Been backpack hunting, camping, surfing, riding dirt bikes since September 11, 2020. Rode dirt bikes today in fact. All is well still.

Before my surgery I explained that I wanted to carry a 60lb pack for days at a time in the backcountry. He said, "No problem. I've got thousands of overweight patients 60+ pounds heavier than you walking around on artificial knees for 20+ years. Yours could last 30 or more years. Just don't get into running or jumping jacks." :)

I’m curious for those that have had full or partial knee replacements; how long before you hunted again? Did it affect how you hunt? How was the aches and pain during the hunt?

I’m currently laid up 2 weeks post-op from a partial knee replacement. Got a long road or recovery and therapy for hunting this fall. One way or another I’ll be out there!!
It's totally up to you. The more effort you put into your therapy, the faster you will recover. I had both a total knee and shoulder replacement at the first of the year. It took me about 6 months before I could seriously start getting ready for elk hunting. I had to rethink my hunting methods somewhat because I did experience some loss in my getup and go. ... but I'm still out there! (age 68)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back