MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunters Orange Bill

I think this is a bad idea with good intentions.

Hunters need to realize that the woods do not strictly belong to them, and in fact in many instances, hunters are the minority of outdoor recreationists in a given area. The day we stop recognizing that we hunt at the pleasure of non-hunters is a day that the future of hunting is in question.

A couple years ago I went out to cut firewood south of Helena on the last weekend of the season. I had a guy come up to me and read me the riot act because:
a) My chainsaw was loud and scaring the animals
b) I didn't have orange on and I "could get shot"

Little did he know that the longer he spoke, the more he looked like a standing dead lodgepole to my chainsaw.

I think this is a bad idea with good intentions.

Hunters need to realize that the woods do not strictly belong to them, and in fact in many instances, hunters are the minority of outdoor recreationists in a given area. The day we stop recognizing that we hunt at the pleasure of non-hunters is a day that the future of hunting is in question.

I agree completely. What does it say about hunters when we get to the point that we feel we must REQUIRE everyone off of a highway on public land, to wear hunter orange?

Sure, there can be tragic consequences that could be prevented. On two different instances in Washington, people have been shot during bear season because they were wearing dark colored coats. Not very smart, but failing to identify your target is also inexcusable.

It's been my observation in different states that most folks who are recreating in the outdoors during the fall months wear bright colored clothing.

I am embarrased for the people that think these bills up.

He was doing it knowing it was a stupid idea, but to make a point. At the same time Sales introduced a bill making hunter's orange optional for adults. Here is a little background: http://www.kbzk.com/news/bill-would-make-orange-optional-for-adult-hunters/

"[The Sponsor, Scott Sales] jokingly called it a jobs bill for makers of orange garments and said after the hearing, which lasted only a few minutes, and that he brought the bill to highlight the absurdity of forcing hunters and only hunters to wear orange."

I like hunters having hunters orange so I can avoid them in the field.

Maybe Sales wants to give FWP wardens something to do other than star on rotten TV programs.

(5) A person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than
$10 or more than $20.

This is the funniest part.

He was doing it knowing it was a stupid idea, but to make a point. At the same time Sales introduced a bill making hunter's orange optional for adults. Here is a little background: http://www.kbzk.com/news/bill-would-make-orange-optional-for-adult-hunters/

"[The Sponsor, Scott Sales] jokingly called it a jobs bill for makers of orange garments and said after the hearing, which lasted only a few minutes, and that he brought the bill to highlight the absurdity of forcing hunters and only hunters to wear orange."

I like hunters having hunters orange so I can avoid them in the field.

So Sales likes to wast tax payers money to make a stupid point? We went through the costs of bills in the last session and they cost "THEN" anywhere from $3000 to $10,000 to get as far as this bill has.

Leadership of the party should look at those bills and toss em in the round file.:mad:

These should be simple reminders for some, of who not to vote for next time.

So Sales likes to wast tax payers money to make a stupid point? We went through the costs of bills in the last session and they cost "THEN" anywhere from $3000 to $10,000 to get as far as this bill has.

Leadership of the party should look at those bills and toss em in the round file.:mad:

I agree with you, but providing the background emphasizes your point even more.

That's true of a lot of things, but people are stupid...

Yep. So many rules and laws exist because of dumb people. Hunters are no different as there is a small percentage that are awfully stupid.

A landowner friend of ours told us a story once about a guy who he gave permission to hunt on his land. Afterwards, he was asking the hunter how he did and he said "we didn't see much, but got off 2 sound shots". Our friend asked what the hell a sound shot was to which the hunter replied, "we heard a sound so we shot at it". Hard to even believe.

Yep. So many rules and laws exist because of dumb people. Hunters are no different as there is a small percentage that are awfully stupid.

A landowner friend of ours told us a story once about a guy who he gave permission to hunt on his land. Afterwards, he was asking the hunter how he did and he said "we didn't see much, but got off 2 sound shots". Our friend asked what the hell a sound shot was to which the hunter replied, "we heard a sound so we shot at it". Hard to even believe.

I know a guy who took a 30-06 to the thigh as a consequence of a couple guys doing that.

Just wanted to say you don't have to wear hunter orange on private land in Texas and they seem to not have a problem. Just saying maybe a different version of this bill would be better.

on a positive note, at least bob wards would be able to get rid of all those clearance orange garments at the end of the year.

There is a line where stupid exceeds a # that promotes legislation. Otherwise, gov't should refrain from playing 'ma and 'pa for us.

As it was pointed out by RobG, this was more an attempt at jesting to make a point - not to actually see to it as a representation of his constituents interest.

While I find it reasonable gov't action to require orange during rifle season for hunters, I would find it excessive for gov't action to require people walking dogs or cutting a tree to wear orange. In certain areas, would I find it a good idea to wear orange while out with the dog(s)? Yes. with nice bright colors on the dog(s) as well. ;)

Last edited:
CapOrangeMWCth.jpg

Just looking to combine two threads...

Robert - those numbers are interesting, do you have a source? I may want to let some people know about Sales's fiscal responsibility. Did you see how Gov. Kasich made a fool out of him the other day?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back