PEAX Equipment

Hunter's orange and camo hoods

nrpate05

I am probably over thinking this, but it is something I have thought about a bit given some recent media I have viewed, it came back up. As most of you know, many states require hunters orange in the form of a hat and that you're orange is visible. I see many people have a hat on and then throw on a camo hood when they get cold or when glassing, etc. I assume this is illegal in most states that require an orange hat? Is this something that a warden could/would cite you for?

I'm the opposite.. I get hot and want to take my hat off while hiking.

I think a frame pack over a vest presents a similar quandary.

I generally trust that the warden would use appropriate discretion in these circumstances, though I do not know the specific legalities.

I think a frame pack over a vest presents a similar quandary.
My pack came with a hunter orange piece of material that easily attaches to the outside of it. I’m sure you could fashion something similar for any pack. As for hat, it’ll be up to local regs and the mood of the game warden how strictly that’s enforced.
3CFF574F-8592-403C-87A1-AFC65AF7DDEB.jpeg

I am probably over thinking this, but it is something I have thought about a bit given some recent media I have viewed, it came back up. As most of you know, many states require hunters orange in the form of a hat and that you're orange is visible. I see many people have a hat on and then throw on a camo hood when they get cold or when glassing, etc. I assume this is illegal in most states that require an orange hat? Is this something that a warden could/would cite you for?

The warden would have to be a real stickler. In CO the reg says "at least 500 square inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange or solid florescent pink.... Part of the fluorescent orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all directions". So the entire hat doesn't need to be orange. Essentially if the bill of your hat was exposed under a hood (and blaze) the only direction it wouldn't be visible would be directly behind the hunter.

Personally I just grab a beanie and take the Remi Warren approach.

When I deer hunt in TN, I wear a blaze ball cap and put on a blaze stocking cap when I get cold. I used a similar approach in CO a couple years ago while elk hunting. I don’t get why it’s difficult to wear a blaze stocking cap instead of a camo one. I don’t wear much camo anyways.

In all honesty, it was colder there, but the (far) lower humidity made it feel more comfortable and I got cold less.

Last edited:
When I deer hunt in TN, I wear a blaze ball cap and put on a blaze stocking cap when I get cold. I used a similar approach in CO a couple years ago while elk hunting. I don’t get why it’s difficult to wear a blaze stocking cap instead of a camo one. I don’t wear much camo anyways.

This is what the OP is referring to (more or less)

1600801335016.png

pulling up the hood keeps the cold/wind off your neck. If it's that cold I don't have a baseball hat on, but a stocking hat and I just put that over the hood.

If it worries you, sew an orange panel on your hood. (Free design info for clothing manufacturers. Just send me one in XL.)

Yea I do the orange stocking hat over an orange baseball cap, but have gotten really cold while glassing and most jackets I have are hooded so that would help with the chill, just wasn't sure how a warden would take it. I assume this is a low priority on their list, but just have been curious about it. Maybe I'll make a pitch to hunting clothes manufacturers to have include an option with a orange hood. Maybe I just need a warmer beanie.

Yea I do the orange stocking hat over an orange baseball cap, but have gotten really cold while glassing and most jackets I have are hooded so that would help with the chill, just wasn't sure how a warden would take it. I assume this is a low priority on their list, but just have been curious about it. Maybe I'll make a pitch to hunting clothes manufacturers to have include an option with a orange hood. Maybe I just need a warmer beanie.

Yeah folks wearing orange hats with hoods, non-issue. Most muzzy hunters and a lot of rifle hunters I encounter in CO don’t wear any blaze at all. 🤦‍♂️

just have a wool baselayer that has a hood, therefore hood is not so mega thick that putting a beanie over it becomes annoying

even some thicker hoods work fine with a beanie over tem

The warden would have to be a real stickler. In CO the reg says "at least 500 square inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange or solid florescent pink.... Part of the fluorescent orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all directions". So the entire hat doesn't need to be orange. Essentially if the bill of your hat was exposed under a hood (and blaze) the only direction it wouldn't be visible would be directly behind the hunter.

Personally I just grab a beanie and take the Remi Warren approach.

Had a discussion with a warden about it, he felt that the law means solid-colored cap but didn't care if you had your hood pulled up...

This is what would be on my head

71Lw0dR731L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
This is legal in Wyoming. I will not speak for other states but Wyoming only requires one garment visible from all sides. Colorado requires so many square inches and you I think...again I think...there is a requirement for both hat and outer garment visible all the way around. I have not hunted Colorado since 2003 so I could be off. I know we used to have to wear both hat and outer garment at one time. Wyoming allows camo orange and now pink and some states do not.

Back