Caribou Gear

Hunter orange while wearing pack

Paisano

When you are on a hunt were an orange vest is required to be worn....what do you do when you have your pack on since most of the orange on your back would be covered by the pack?

Admitted, sometimes I just throw my pack on and go..... and other times I've hung a second vest off the back of my pack. It seems like I've seen many others do it both ways.

I'm just wondering if there is a hard and fast rule on this? maybe it varies state to state?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Good question. I must admit I do the same as you, but never bother with a second vest. Most guys I know just throw the pack on.

I always throw a vest on my pack. I don't know what the rules are for when a pack covers the vest, but I don't do it because of what the rule book may say, I do it for safety.

I will add that at times I wear an orange hat even though not required.

I probably fudge it, but I wear a low fanny pack with shoulder straps. I also wear camo patterned orange vest. It may be the 600 required inches. I've never measured it. I also may wear an orange hat if I'm hunting a busy spot. Buts mostly I try to avoid busy spots.

The regulations (the ones I have read) say xxx amount or orange 'visable' . So it depends on how much of the orange can be seen with the pack on to meet the regs.

I just put my orange vest on, and then I put my pack on over that and hunt.

That is how any one I've ever hunted with has done it. I honestly don't think a warden would ever check to see how many inches were visible as long as you were wearing an orange vest or coat, regardless of a pack over it. The two wardens I have run into in the woods didn't say anything about it.

In Kansas hunter orange vest/jacket (200 square inches worth) and hat is required during deer/elk/antelope firearms seasons. It is a real hassle to keep a hat visible when a rainstorm kicks up and I would much prefer to put my rain cover on my head, (which would cover my required orange).

I have read that in some eastern states, (Pennsylvania IIRC) orange is required to be worn if you are up and moving during turkey hunting season. Packs would once again be covering some of the required orange display.

I was stopped by one of Montanas fine officers and told to add a piece of orange on my pack. Its funny as my wife was right by my side in full blown Orange....
maybe he was just being nice !!!
Anyway there is one hanging on the pack when im out now.

MT.PERCHMAN

Orange is not required here in NM but I carry a orange mesh safety vest with the game gags in my pack,which has a reversable cover too. The vest weighs nothing and takes no space. It comes in real handy at times.It can go right around a rack....

I am a Hunter Education Instructor for the State of Pennsylvania, here the regulations say 250 sq. in. of fluorescent orange on the head, chest and back visible 360 degrees for bear, elk and deer season. So if part of the 250 sq. in. is covered by a pack you are in violation. Whether a Warden will write you a warning or a ticket is up to the individual Officer. When I carry a large pack I will pin a 14 x 14 inch square to the outside of my pack. More for safety than the requirement. Turkey hunting for the coming spring season, no orange is required but I do recommend it. Each State has it's own regulations. It is our responsibility to know them.

I've got a thin, lightweight vest that I'll sometimes throw over my pack. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't. I think it's a good idea to have something on the pack though. It definitely doesn't hurt.

I have pieces of orange nylon cloth in my pack to mark a downed animal site when it requires several trips for retrieval. I tie strips of the orange cloth on my backpack and on my grandson's backpack, so front and backsides are marked.

Well, the way I figure it is that you just strap on a roll of orange marking/surveying tape somewhere on your body and it meets the requirement---it's visible, and has way more the square inches required.:D

Randy

I have an orange bandana I tie to the top of my pack, simple. No problem doing it as there are enough nutjobs out there that love to take a quick shot at movement bearing any brown. I full support FWP regs for orange. In this instance there are too many bad apples thus qualifies for chopping the tree down. ;)

I have a couple of orange hand towels in my pack with clips on them, similar to what you find on a golf bag (exactly, actually, but dyed). I use them to wash off my hands and then clip them to one of the straps on my pack and just let them hang there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back