Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunter-on-hunter criticism

It's a bad state of affairs when I can't tell if this is a serious comment or satire. I'm hoping the latter.

I did not intend satire, nor disagreement w any post. When I disagree, r e s p e c t . The OP understood my point.

CB, I do enjoy well-crafted satire. Like you noted, lots of times I just can't tell...

I think community is exactly the right word to use, Merriam Webster defines community as “a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society.” That said I understand that the connotation of language differs amongst groups of individuals, and I would think especially so in a group such as hunters that come from disparate geographies, socio economic backgrounds, and cultures. I wonder if the person you alluded to in your comment would have preferred tribe to community or some other term that seems to connote a rural existence. Whenever I wander into a potential hot button topic with someone, race, politics, ect. I try to adopt the language they use to describe themselves and if I’m not sure I will even ask “what term do you prefer for x,y,z” obviously this isn’t possible when you write an article and it seems myopic to focus on the authors use of language rather than intent. This discussion brings to mind discussions of microaggressions in classic literature, with students refusing to read 19th century works that use the N-word. I for one think context should remain king and I will never decry someone’s argument on my perceived inaccuracy in his or her language.

With regard to hunter on hunter criticism I am always disappointed in the lack of tack people have in their criticism. It seems to me that criticism comes mainly in the form of that practice or idea is stupid, rather than gentle encouragement against a practice or even civil discussion about whether something is ethical or not. Just as in high school when my whole team had to run laps if one member was late, encouraging hunters to watch out for each other is vital. If one hunter is doing something that makes everyone look bad we need to help that person realize that they need to change their behavior.

I also think people need to realize the geographic and cultural difference with respect to hunting tactics and respect those difference. I live in Montana and primarily spot and stalk big game, but I won't begrudge someone who baits, uses dogs, ect. in their part of the county. Laws are a form of ethics and if you are following your state's laws then you are acting ethically and I will respect your tactic and tradition.

Great article. That's exactly how I feel. You shouldn't be afraid to call out people who call themselves Hunters if their actions and words are damaging to the rest of us. Just because you carry a gun or a bow into the woods does not make you my friend or Ally.

Laws are a form of ethics and if you are following your state's laws then you are acting ethically and I will respect your tactic and tradition.

Not necessarily...laws/regulations are the absolute minimum set of behaviors that the hunting community finds acceptable.

I can name you a whole bunch of things with hunting that are legal...but far from ethical.

Last edited:
As I age, I get less careful in what I say. My mouth will go on auto pilot long before my brain gets engaged. The result is I may say what I think and feel, thus the results are usually that I offend someone. Blame it on a Senior moment, but old guys usually call it the way they see it. If you don't like the color of my eyes that's tough chit. I have as much chance of changing who I am, as changing my eye color.

At some point I will offend you. If I don't that's when you should worry.;)

If you are answering the tree hugger's bumper sticker's worth of accusation with a paragraph worth of rebuttal you've already lost.
If you appease their assertions by even trying to defend you've lost by acknowledging it.
Had an attourney a while back who would play offense at the first whiff of attack or aggression by the eco terrorists. Very effective.
Nugent used to play that game pretty well but lately seems to have gone a bit bizarre.

If you're pissing a few people off, you're probably doing something right. I would wager that Big Finn could agree with that one.

Not necessarily...laws/regulations are the absolute minimum set of behaviors that the hunting community finds acceptable.

I can name you a whole bunch of things with hunting that are legal...but far from ethical.

Where's that damned LIKE button??

If you are answering the tree hugger's bumper sticker's worth of accusation with a paragraph worth of rebuttal you've already lost.
If you appease their assertions by even trying to defend you've lost by acknowledging it.
Had an attourney a while back who would play offense at the first whiff of attack or aggression by the eco terrorists. Very effective.
Nugent used to play that game pretty well but lately seems to have gone a bit bizarre.

A bit bizarre? Nugent's trolley jumped the tracks years ago. That draft-dodger is nuts.

Conversations around ethics, ethos, etc. used to take place in person and our image was controlled by a few mediums and few people. Memories of the hunt were shared between friends and family in person. Now everyone has a voice and hand in building or tearing down our collective image via social media. Pictures and uninformed or damaging opinions can be posted and shared by anyone and everyone, and then shared again and again to unknown audiences, without context.

I prefer honesty and respect people when they give it. We all have different backgrounds, perspectives, educations, experiences, etc. that color our view of the world. Talking and listening with our ears open, as opposed to tuning out until it's your time to talk again. People can smell BS. Someone above mentioned the Drury brothers. Conversely, guys like Steve and Randy, and on a growing scale, some of the younger guys putting out outstanding indy produced content, are making a real impact through harnessing the power of the same social media. My hope is buoyed by the growth in podcasts, which create real dialogue and stimulate new thinking across our "community", and the content being delivered by some of our most visible, articulate "community" members.

Nicole, I love what you're doing because it comes from an honest place and I think that's why people respond to it. If more people dropped the BS and bravado and put more authentic work out there, and if more hunters gave real introspective thought to how and why they do what they do, those would be a big steps in the right direction. I'm hopeful that we'll continue to move in this direction.

I think it is important to educate our younger hunters on the effects they can have on the overall hunter image without even trying to. During my firearm safety classes, we have an ethics chapter. I have penned a couple of articles on hunter ethics and I have the kids read it and we discuss. At that point in their lives (12-13 years old), I can see the looks of disdain when we discuss bad ethics. Somehow, in just a few short years, some of them succumb to the pressures and perform those same bad ethics.

One of the things I teach them is something I call the Hunter's Uniform. The Hunter's Uniform is camo and blaze orange. If you wear it, you are no longer anonymous. A June trip to McDonald's at 9 pm can result in damaging the public perception of hunter's if one acts like a jerk and is wearing a camo hat. Immediately, you are a member of the "hunting community" and your behaviors will be judged. I tell them (smiling of course) if you are going to be a jerk, leave the camo hat at home!

As I age, I get less careful in what I say. My mouth will go on auto pilot long before my brain gets engaged. The result is I may say what I think and feel, thus the results are usually that I offend someone. Blame it on a Senior moment, but old guys usually call it the way they see it. If you don't like the color of my eyes that's tough chit. I have as much chance of changing who I am, as changing my eye color.

At some point I will offend you. If I don't that's when you should worry.;)

I don't know whether candor has anything to do with age. My big mouth has gotten me into trouble for as long as I've been able to talk.

Oh well! ;)

Yup,I've had more than one senior/mouth moment with a former supervisor ,& or friend..........
..............at it since 1955.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back