PEAX Equipment

Hunter in OR

Bomber

35 years old. Grew up in Michigan and moved to Oregon in 2002. I grew up with rods and guns, though I'd always considered myself an angler before a hunter. I spent 12 years in the fishing industry, guiding anglers and working in sales for a rod company, donating time and money to wild fish organizations, practicing catch and release on wild salmonids. But that's not being a predator and that doesn't provide any food. I became disenchanted with catch and release, but hunting is different.

Hunting has taken over now. I began bowhunting again, then duck hunting the winter months, now I bought a .270 and will rifle hunt mule deer for the first time this fall. I'm enjoying the new immersion in a natural world that I had only floated by or hiked through while looking for fish. I'm enjoying the woodsmanship and the shooting disciplines and, holy elk, I'm enjoying the meat!

I came across Hunt Talk Radio while searching for podcasts and Randy immediately drew me in. He seemed articulate, knowledgeable and passionate, and he impressed me with his history of activism. I feel fortunate to have come across his podcast and show. I've been lurking on the forum, but now I'd like to be a part of the discussion and contribute in any way I can.

Bomber

Last edited:
Welcome, and you picked a good place to join. You'll probably also enjoy the MeatEater podcast with Steven Rinella. Randy and Steve are in my opinion tied as the best two hunting show hosts, podcast hosts, and conservation voices in the outdoor industry today.

welcome to hunt talk,,,though I hope you put in for Oregon tag draw as all the muleys are limited draw in Oregon,{except gen bow},though you can still get a blacktail permit o t c.

Welcome, and you picked a good place to join. You'll probably also enjoy the MeatEater podcast with Steven Rinella. Randy and Steve are in my opinion tied as the best two hunting show hosts, podcast hosts, and conservation voices in the outdoor industry today.

Thanks for the suggestion, DWM. MeatEater is also on my podcast rotation, and I recently finished the book "MeatEater". I appreciate their conservation advocacy, as well.

welcome to hunt talk,,,though I hope you put in for Oregon tag draw as all the muleys are limited draw in Oregon,{except gen bow},though you can still get a blacktail permit o t c.

Dan, I did put in and draw a rifle tag, yes, but thank you for the heads up. I'd been doing a point saver for a couple of years and this fall should be a fun hunt. OTC elk this year, but that's OK.

Thanks for the suggestion, DWM. MeatEater is also on my podcast rotation, and I recently finished the book "MeatEater". I appreciate their conservation advocacy, as well.

American Buffalo is excellent also.

Last edited:
Welcome Bomber, I'm an Oregon native. Make sure you tell everyone the hunting is terrible here, jk;)

Welcome Bomber, I'm an Oregon native. Make sure you tell everyone the hunting is terrible here, jk;)

I'm painfully aware of the fact that I'm contributing to the overpopulation of your birth state. Sorry about that! Though it does fit well with my born-Catholic guilt complex. I married an Oregon-born girl and she's quick to remind me that I'm an interloper. :)

And to be honest, there probably are better states to live in for a hunter.

Bomber,
Hey -
excellent intro!
I've been hunting NE OR for the last 4 years (Ukiah/Heppner) for the last 4 years. I am heading that way again this year for the last week or so of the season. Where do you hunt OTC (not asking for specifics just trying to find some new hunting buddies that may be around the same area)? Also - If we are close and you get one down - I am always up for helping a fellow hunter! Good hunts! Mike

Murph, my elk grounds are a bit of a poke from Ukiah/Heppner, but thanks for the offer! Good luck this season.

Alaskan, I live in the lower Willamette Valley right now, but looking to move upriver in the next couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back