New member from MT

TimberBuck

Hello all, been following for a while but first time posting here. Born in SW Wyoming, but moved to Bozeman when I was young and I've lived here since.

I grew up hunting with my dad, grandpa, and uncle. Much like many of you, my obsession with public land diy hunting and exploring wild places consumes me. I enjoy hunting all big game and get out as much as I can, in between work and starting a family of my own with my wife, daughter, and a baby boy on the way.

I want to make sure I'm doing my part to ensure there are similar opportunities left for my kids to experience some day as the ones we get to experience, but I realize it is naive to assume that will be a given, due to the trend of western big game hunting for the public land diy hunter.

I really appreciate the insights of the members and the information on this site regarding current issues, ways to be involved and contribute to conservation efforts, and preserving the future of public lands and hunting. Looking forward to joining in on the conversation!

Welcome from NM. Thanks for the great introduction and for passing traditions to the next generation.

Hello all, been following for a while but first time posting here. Born in SW Wyoming, but moved to Bozeman when I was young and I've lived here since.

I grew up hunting with my dad, grandpa, and uncle. Much like many of you, my obsession with public land diy hunting and exploring wild places consumes me. I enjoy hunting all big game and get out as much as I can, in between work and starting a family of my own with my wife, daughter, and a baby boy on the way.

I want to make sure I'm doing my part to ensure there are similar opportunities left for my kids to experience some day as the ones we get to experience, but I realize it is naive to assume that will be a given, due to the trend of western big game hunting for the public land diy hunter.

I really appreciate the insights of the members and the information on this site regarding current issues, ways to be involved and contribute to conservation efforts, and preserving the future of public lands and hunting. Looking forward to joining in on the conversation!
Welcome, I'm new here as well and now living in WY. Random question but it says you moved young so you may not have the best comparison but which one you like best or things you like or don't like, Montana vs Wyoming?

Welcome, I'm new here as well and now living in WY. Random question but it says you moved young so you may not have the best comparison but which one you like best or things you like or don't like, Montana vs Wyoming?

I only lived in WY until I was 8, so not a ton of memories from there for comparison to MT. But lots of good memories as a young kid living in Green River – some cool areas around there (Flaming Gorge comes to mind). SW WY is so much different than Bozeman. Mostly desert-type landscape, although the mountains aren’t far. Obviously way less people, more space to breath, but windy!

My wife grew up in Wyoming (although opposite end of the state from Green River) and she still has friends and some family there so we visit often. We love it there. I’ve been fortunate enough to draw some tags and hunt a few times in Wyoming too. My ventures into Wyoming in recent years have been more so in NW and Western Wyoming.

Honestly my wife and I would love to move back to Wyoming eventually, we talk about it often. But for now, work and life has us in Bozeman. Don’t get me wrong, Montana is great for the most part. Its hard to complain too much. However, lots has changed just in the 2+ decades I’ve been here. Its tough to watch all the growth and development in and around Bozeman. The feel is completely different, it just feels like a rat race. It’s expensive. The mountains and surrounding areas are really amazing, but are getting more and more crowded each year. And as has been discussed in depth on here by others, there are many issues right now with the direction of the state’s wildlife management which is concerning.

All that being said, there certainly will be pros and cons to anywhere one chooses to live, and the grass is always greener, right?

Thanks for the response!

My fiancés family lives in Wyoming and her moms side of the family are originally from here. I was born and raised in Washington so seeing a state change and becoming a rat race is something I know well. Its heartbreaking seeing a state and community change so rapidly. Makes the world feel like its closing in on you. Having Boeing, Microsoft and Amazon all setup shop really screwed things up. Plus it seems like Seattle and Portland have an annual competition of who can screw their whole state over the most.

Like you said, there are pros and cons of anywhere. The people and the politics here in Wyoming are so much better and we love it. We got mountains for sure down here but I am missing my endless mountains and evergreens, plus my fiancé is missing the PNW coastline. But the cost is too high to live there now. From housing, cost of living, politics, crime, and now the Fish and Game Dept is just outright trying to screw hunters and anglers.

I always like hearing peoples thoughts on states I haven't lived in because I would be lying if I didn't think of finding a place closer to home. The good thing is, the options for me are Western Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. Not bad options compared to how most of these states are doing! Problem is how expensive life is today, almost cant afford to live in a rural or smaller town anymore. The jobs aren't there and the house prices are astronomical.

Scary times when your trying to find a place to put roots down!

Best of Luck and hope your able to make it back to Wyoming.

Welcome! Bozeman is a very cool place. Was out there 2 summers ago to race mountain bikes at Big Sky.

AM.

Welcome

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back