Hunter fatally shot near Kremmling

The opening few days of PA deer season news causality reports sounded like war reports from Vietnam.
A few years ago a neighbors wife was killed in her home from guys doing a deer drive in the woods across the street from their house. I've had quite a few close calls here and normally try to avoid public land on the first day, far to many folks out there that hunt one day a year.

As to the story above; I’ve seen just a couple of accidental discharges, Seen a lot of negligent discharges. Seems appropriate in almost any fire arms/ hunting case to charge Negligent homicide.

During spring bear this year I was working in a residential area adjacent to a Forest Service TH, and then boom! Tried to convince myself it was a vehicle or generator or something, but nope it was confirmed by other residents that one of the bear hunters squeezed off a round in the parking lot. Some used the term accidental, but I believe negligent is much more applicable.

There's no way I could start hiking in with a guy who just touched one off in the parking lot. How could anyone trust him again?

This year up near Craig I heard the zing of a bullet screaming past my ear, I hit the deck, as soon as the shooting stopped I got in the truck (it was 20 yards away) and just started driving. I was covered in blaze, I think they were shooting at a doe below me, but it soured me on the entire unit. I suppose I should have tracked them down and chewed them out but I figured my family was more important than my ego.

I have a real problem with the casualness of barrel pointing. Stuff happens and without a sincere awareness of where bullets can go, there will be a problem eventually. I rarely include strangers in my hunting activities because of past experiences. Little things like: drunks in camp, slobs in camp with lack of manners and consideration of others, gun safety and awareness, inability to navigate causing others to have to save them, and funny personality quirks that could irritate god , condition you to be cautious of inviting strangers Into your life.

I have a real problem with the casualness of barrel pointing. Stuff happens and without a sincere awareness of where bullets can go, there will be a problem eventually. I rarely include strangers in my hunting activities because of past experiences. Little things like: drunks in camp, slobs in camp with lack of manners and consideration of others, gun safety and awareness, inability to navigate causing others to have to save them, and funny personality quirks that could irritate god , condition you to be cautious of inviting strangers Into your life.
It was certainly a learning experience this year. I'm sure Covid affected things but I adjusted my hunt to a much more "civilized" area to get the new guy into big game hunting in a more comfortable atmosphere - then he flaked at the last minute. Luckily I've got one more tag this year.

Opening day of duck season we arrive early to a small wild rice lake. We make a plan with the other guy there, hunting opposite ends of the lake. Well what do you know, 45 minutes before hours another group comes, already sees two trucks in the lot (there really isn't room for more hunters than that) but with no back-up plan they come out anyway. About this time dense fog moved in, so they had no clue where anyone else is set up. Shooting light comes and they just start blasting at everything and are shooting right at us. Twice pellets strike our boat blind and I have to yell out to watch where you are shooting. Just a lot of extremely lazy, negligent hunters out there....

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this, hate to speculate but there must’ve been something pretty apparent to bring about charges. Wonder if alcohol could’ve been involved this would warrant the charges but if that were the case they probably would have a separate charge for that as well. Either way shitty situation for all involved and makes you really wonder when your out there by yourself

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this, hate to speculate but there must’ve been something pretty apparent to bring about charges. Wonder if alcohol could’ve been involved this would warrant the charges but if that were the case they probably would have a separate charge for that as well. Either way shitty situation for all involved and makes you really wonder when your out there by yourself
I do not think alchohol would or should need to be involved for that charge. If his muzzle pointed at a person at any point during his hunt, the it is criminally negligent homicide.

Years ago I hunted quail with my Dads business partner. He took his young son along. Walking a trail I turn around to see the barrel pointed at my back and the kid tugging at the gun. Holy crap!!! Enough of that. Been in camp with drunks and major aholes. Life is to short, time to precious to put up with those type of people. I will be teaching my grandson to hunt, scary is the thought who will share the mountains with us. Someone in my Bro inlaws camp shot his transmission this year. I will stay away from that camp

Very sad deal no matter what the details are. Unfortunately it can happen.

Last year in MT, it was foggy and I ended up being on the same hillside as some elk and some guys shot towards me from a different ridge at the elk. It wasn't even their fault as neither of us could see each other with the poor visibility. Could have been a bad deal.

Prayers to all involved....
Back in '85 I was just starting to gut a raghorn bull when bullets started whizzing over my head. I hunkered down behind the animal and hoped for the best. Turns out just over the ridge a whopper whitetail buck and doe were feeding. The two guys were more than 400 yards down the mountain and could not see me. After son missed three shots grandpa said enough and dropped the buck with a neck shot from his 270. They felt horrible afterwards but no hard feelings. A freak deal. I probably should have shouted out when the shooting started but glad I didn't as it would have spooked the buck ... who never stopped grazing. Actually, I was more concerned trying to figure out where the shooters were located so I could decide where to run.

No alcohol involved,I know a guy close to the family. Spirits are low and all involved could use your prayers

It’s easy to speculate from looking at it afterwards, but accidents happen. I’ve been in situations with people that obviously weren’t taught firearm safety and luckily wasn’t hurt and I’ve also put myself in a spot that wasn’t smart. I setup on a field that I knew the neighbors typically did deer drives. Guess what, they did. Lots of deer ran by but I was too busy hiding behind a tree. Bullets make a distinct buzzing sound like a bumble bee as they pass over.

So maybe this is a case of blatant disregard, or a tragic accident. Either way it’s horrible and most likely has ruined hunting for all involved.

My son is 7 and daughter 5. I take the bird hunting once in a while and let them shoot regularly. I drill into their heads that safety is #1. Hunting is fun until an accident happens then it ruins it for the rest of your life.

With so many new hunters we tend to teach them how to hunt rather than how to do it safely. I’m as bad as anyone with it, I’ve got a few guys into hunting and neglected the safety part and that’s a mistake.

That’s just awful, to have accidentally killed a friend and the fact that there may gave been a golden hour in which they died due to failure of communication for adequate response.

I’ve heard different firearms safety rules over the years and this is the one (4 Universal Rules) I currently follow. I really like it as it leaves nothing to interpretation:

-Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.

-Never point the muzzle at anything that you are not willing to destroy.

-Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the conscious decision to shoot.

-Be sure of your target, what it is and what is in front, to the sides and behind it.

I'm not a big fan of punishing accidents, usually the aftermath of the "crime" is the punishment. Shooter will probably wish he was dead himself for a long long time. Jail should be reserved for people who intentionally commit crimes imo, but who knows, could be some extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of punishing accidents. Usually the aftermath of the "crime" is the punishment. Shooter will probably wish he was dead himself for a long long time. Jail should be reserved for people who intentionally commit crimes imo, but who knows, could be some extenuating circumstances.
Shooter is on suicide watch

I remember vividly unloading a gun at the truck. No mag dump button so each round had to be cycled. Cycled the first round in and the second I started pulling up on the bolt, BOOM! Killed the tree I pointed it at to unload. Scared me to death. That gun was retired that day.

A friend opened the bolt on a gun to check it after loaning it out. No round seen. I looked while he did it. Went to close the bolt and said it felt stiff closing. The guy he loaned it to said he saw an elk and loaded it. Didn't get a shot and when he went to get the round out it was empty. He gave it up to not picking up a round when he cycled it. He pulled the bolt and looked up in the chamber, there sat a live one stuck inside.

I've been there when people have got shot. The accident was just that, an accident. One that comes to mind is a buddy who saw some deer, loaded a round to shoot, deer moved so he took a couple steps down to get another shot. He tripped and being right handed instinctively let go with his right hand to catch himself. The butt of the rifle swung out away from him and when it hit it went off. Through his shoulder.

Point is how many times have you moved a little with a round in or just visually checked the open bolt and not the chamber. Luckily we caught ours before they compounded and got worse. Typically these things involve one or two errors compounding on each other. Don't be to harsh on this guy right off the get go.

I remember vividly unloading a gun at the truck. No mag dump button so each round had to be cycled. Cycled the first round in and the second I started pulling up on the bolt, BOOM! Killed the tree I pointed it at to unload. Scared me to death. That gun was retired that day.

A friend opened the bolt on a gun to check it after loaning it out. No round seen. I looked while he did it. Went to close the bolt and said it felt stiff closing. The guy he loaned it to said he saw an elk and loaded it. Didn't get a shot and when he went to get the round out it was empty. He gave it up to not picking up a round when he cycled it. He pulled the bolt and looked up in the chamber, there sat a live one stuck inside.

I've been there when people have got shot. The accident was just that, an accident. One that comes to mind is a buddy who saw some deer, loaded a round to shoot, deer moved so he took a couple steps down to get another shot. He tripped and being right handed instinctively let go with his right hand to catch himself. The butt of the rifle swung out away from him and when it hit it went off. Through his shoulder.

Point is how many times have you moved a little with a round in or just visually checked the open bolt and not the chamber. Luckily we caught ours before they compounded and got worse. Typically these things involve one or two errors compounding on each other. Don't be to harsh on this guy right off the get go.
Remington 700?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back