Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunt the Female Big 3 or maybe never draw a tag

CO Ewe Tag or CO Antler-less Moose?

• Ewe Tag

• Antlerless Moose

• Keep putting in for less than 1% odds for a male of the species.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's super interesting to me how everyone always says "it's not about the size of the antlers, it's about the adventure, experience, time with family, blah blah blah." But then the draw odds for those antlered/horned critters are just tiny fractions compared to a female tag.

In the case of CO moose, you could get a moose tag + a flight + baggage fees in AK for the price of a CO NR cow tag.

Now I think a AK NR DIY moose hunt probably has something like a 10% success rate versus 80% while truck hunting moose in CO.
@wllm1313, If you want to see truck hunting moose taken to a new level, make a road trip to Maine this fall. Some of the hunters/guides are riding around atop towers built in to the beds of their trucks.

@wllm1313, If you want to see truck hunting moose taken to a new level, make a road trip to Maine this fall. Some of the hunters/guides are riding around atop towers built in to the beds of their trucks.
That's interesting. I guess in my mind I picture Maine moose hunting as something that happens in dense cover. I guess they're riding by meadows and fields along rivers and creeks though.

I know they hunt mule deer that way in northern Mexico. Always seemed like a bridge just a hair too far for me ethics wise

That's interesting. I guess in my mind I picture Maine moose hunting as something that happens in dense cover. I guess they're riding by meadows and fields along rivers and creeks though.

I know they hunt mule deer that way in northern Mexico. Always seemed like a bridge just a hair too far for me ethics wise
Much of the Maine moose hunting is done on private timberland. A lot of moose hang around clearcuts of a certain age. I can’t remember that age range right now, but the regeneration is high enough that an elevated spotting position is an advantage. You do have to watch out for logging trucks with huge loads (not a lot of restrictions on size are due to private roads).

Much of the Maine moose hunting is done on private timberland. A lot of moose hang around clearcuts of a certain age. I can’t remember that age range right now, but the regeneration is high enough that an elevated spotting position is an advantage. You do have to watch out for logging trucks with huge loads (not a lot of restrictions on size are due to private roads).
Ah that makes perfect sense. Interesting thanks

Alternative idea: My wife hunts and is generally more inclined toward meat hunts and less strenuous hunts. I have bought a few points for her toward Montana sheep and Colorado moose that I envision using for a ewe and cow hunt at some point. Kind of the best of both of your original ideas.

QQ
This is almost exactly what happened in my house in ND. My wife drew the cow moose tag last fall and it was some of the most fun I have ever had on a hunt. Got to see like 17 bulls in 2 hours which is always fun. She ended up getting a dry cow right off a field trail. The meat from this girl was unbelievable and we got a ton of it. 20211029_100257.jpg

I like to hunt.
Have drawn and killed a ewe, 2 cow moose, and two nannies on Colo,

And a bighorn ram and bull moose.

The ewe was a 2nd choice tag before I ever drew the 3 ram tags and the cows were after my OIL bull, so I guess I did not burn a pile of points for the antlerless….but all the hunts were a blast.

Hard choice for some NR at the prices for the tags, but why not antlerless. You still get to see and enjoy the big male rams, bulls and billies during the hunt….

Of the three, I think it is a no brainer to choose. nanny over ES tag, and for many guys, not loose a lot in the switch. All goats look a lot alike, to me….

I've given up on the idea of waiting until I'm 70+ years old to hunt moose in my home state. I'm ~5 years worth of points away from some quality moose areas. As soon as I can draw a cow tag I will be dumping my points. I still plan on putting in for the random and hope to get lucky; at this point I plan on saving up for several bull tags in BC / Alaska.

If I were you, I’d go with the ewe tag. You’ve already had the experience of a moose, and the sheep WOULD be epic to be sure. But I always lean towards new experiences.

I would bet less than 10 moose a year in Maine are quartered and packed out. Lots of chainsaw winches or paying a loader to drag it out.

😳 I apply in VT/NH/ME every year… guess I need to get the rolla a tower

Back