Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunt Talk Members... Please Help!

Avoid anything with the word "bodyguard." That's just cheesy.

As far as the word "warrior"--let me just say that this word should be reserved for those men and women whom have fought-- tooth and $*)Q!#@$ nail-- for our way of life. I will never allow myself to be called a warrior, because I have not put my life on the line in service of my country-- as have others.

I am with Straight Arrow on this...why not just launch this through one of the existing parties...RMEF..Mule Deer foundation...or something like that...I already pull my hair out with everyone asking for money...
Sportsman for Wild country is my fav!

Backcountry Sportsmen has my vote. It doesn't sound that corny, doesn't ecompass one single group of outdoorsman and doesn't sound like it is trying to just promote more wilderness (a debate that doesn't need to be elaborated) Rather the name just needs to imply getting in the backcountry to hunt fish and have a good time.

Backcountry Sportsmen has my vote. It doesn't sound that corny, doesn't ecompass one single group of outdoorsman and doesn't sound like it is trying to just promote more wilderness (a debate that doesn't need to be elaborated) Rather the name just needs to imply getting in the backcountry to hunt fish and have a good time.

Sounds about right.

Anything with warrior or bodyguard just sounds silly since it evokes nothing about conservation and everything about redneckery.

And stay away from "beast mode" types of campaigns. Hanes sounds silly (to me) every time he pushes that nonsense over and over. Impressive guy using way over the top marketing methods.

You can be a serious hunter and not act and sound like you are about to take out a terrorist cell and save the free world. It is hunting. It is conservation. It is recreation and yes it a way of life for many....and unfortunately it is big business.

Lastly, i am always leery of the new campaign that rolls out on hunt forums with almost no useful detail. If you are ready to get help on how to sell it I would think you are ready to talk in detail about what the heck "it" is.

If this is a partnership among established groups, why not simply say what is going on and what groups are involved. By not doing so you just hurt the message before it gets out of the gate.

Straight Arrow,

This is actually an effort between several groups to put together a campaign that speaks to younger people (18-44). The idea is to promote backcountry hunting, the ethics and skills necessary to engage in the sport, and to bring more young folks in to the conservation fold. We're reaching out to try and replace a lot of the aging leadership in organizations, as well as raise awareness on specific issues.

Mark Seacat has been a great leader in this campaign, and we love that we get to work with him on it. This is about adding value to the work being done by groups, not trying to take away a piece of the pie.

Who/what groups are involved. It is simply offensive to be told less than half of what is actually afoot and by whom, but to be told how great it is.

Khunter,

It's a project between Montana Wildlife Federation and other NGO members of the Coalition to Protect the Rocky Mountain Front. We're also working with a few others who have not signed on yet to the campaign, but hopefully will.

We're just in the preliminary phase of this, and wanted to get some feedback on the name. We've obviously received that. :)

Just keeping everyone in the loop, lots of discussions are taking place now... which is good.

How do you guys like the sound of "Wild Country Policy Council"?

"I'm a working member on a new campaign to promote the backcountry hunting and angling" is the beginning of your question concerning a name or campaign title.

"Wild Country Policy Council" still sounds like a group of people ... NOT a campaign or movement to promote backcountry.

I am with Straight Arrow on this...why not just launch this through one of the existing parties...RMEF..Mule Deer foundation...or something like that...I already pull my hair out with everyone asking for money...
Sportsman for Wild country is my fav!

Branden, good thoughts; it is being launched through an existing NGO (MWF).

Just so everyone is clear, with the campaign, we're not going to be asking folks for money, just their voice.

This isn't a fundraising tool.

1.) This campaign has nothing to do with wolves. We've fought, and won that battle in MT.

2.) Yes, MWF is affiliated with NWF. We've been an affiliate for approximately 76 years. They don't do things we always agree with, and we don't do things they always agree with, but the good certainly outweighs the bad.

So after a rew months and a lot of work, here's the product: www.sportsmenformontana.com

You guys were great, and your feedback really helped develop the project. Hope you guys like the site, and sign the petition!

Seacat and crew were a ton of fun to work with.

Looks great, just checked the website out and it is certainly encouraging. I am travelling to Montana from Australia in 2014 for a DIY hunt for Elk, I hope to see Montana as its hunters and anglers like it, best of luck.

Very nice website and a good name. But, again, it appears to be just another organization requiring financial support to advocate for and protect Montana's hunting and angling legacy.

It begs the question: Why a new organization to support Montana hunting, angling, Rocky Mountain Front, sportsmen's issues, etc. when there are already viable and successful organizations doing just that??? What is different about this group?

Will this diminish support for Friends of the Rocky Mountain Front, Public Lands / Water Access Assn., MWF, RMEF, Montana Sportsmen Alliance, and all those efforts with more specific conservation and protection goals already achieving success?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back