Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunt Expo - Forgive me for I have sinned

OriginalOscar

Swore that I was not going to go but I did. The bait of opportunity to win one of the tags and the Utah Taxidermy show worked. It gets worse each year. Less hunting and more junk. Massage chairs, Scentsy Candles, Ninja Swords.

Hopefully I will draw something because right now I feel dirty.

I went several year ago and I felt so dirty I have not gone back. It stands for almost everything I am against. Those damb draws!

I went and applied for the tags...just trying to get one of the tags back they stole from the NR's.

It does get worse every year.

The toughest thing I did was listen to Don Peay take full credit for wolf delisting during the full curl sheep draws...what an asshat.

I hope Hunt Talkers win every tag. If the UT legislature wants to take that many tags out of the non-resident pool, I hope every Hunt Talker who went ends up with a tag in his pocket. That would be funny.

Needless to say, following my blog posts from the event last year, my invitation never made it to my mail box. Who'd a thunk it?

I agree, every year the vendor hunting displays and number of hunting-related exhibitors had been getting less and less and less. Don't think they had resorted to massage chairs and scented candles last year. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Shame me all you want, but yes, I went to the show :)

Too true/too funny...we were commenting on the SAME thing...so many people peddling their various wares.

That Don Peay speech was something else...wow...

Heard from buddy they were selling bed sheets at the Expo. Camo? Elk pictures on them? No, just regular sheets. Sounds like WalMart.

I assume will be under 800 non-residents attend this Expo as has been the case every year. Once you subtract out the exhibitors from ID and MT and the BYU kids from ID that drive a few miles to validate the non-resident sheep tag then you are left with a few dozen non-residents flying in from out-of-state as attendees. Not much of an economic boon. Well, unless you are getting consulting fees, cough, cough.

They should rename the Expo to be the Greater SLC Expo and give the damn tags back to the regular pool.

I too did the deed in hopes of stealing a tag back.

Our highlight was crashing the auction/dinner Sat. night sneaking in a side door and then posting up near the bar. No doubt the light beer was dented by the 4 hooligans hovering near the back.

Wayne LaPiere gave his rant to kick off the auction which was interesting. They opened her up with a .300 that Wayne would sign for $11k. It escalated from there.

AZ coues hunt for $25k, sheep and elk tags for a cool $80k (which seemed like a deal). Then the dinger. AZ mule deer tag for $240k. Watched the oil tycoon bid about 10 yards away. Or should I say bid for his son (early 30's maybe) who literally bailed before his old mans ink dried on the credit application.

Several more went for big dollars but none more than the antelope island tag on Friday for $310k buy Mr Utah himself. Denny Austad.

The whole thing just pisses a guy off. But, Doyle Moss did look great in his bedazzled jeans and fresh spray tan.

Heard from buddy they were selling bed sheets at the Expo. Camo? Elk pictures on them? No, just regular sheets. Sounds like WalMart.

I assume will be under 800 non-residents attend this Expo as has been the case every year. Once you subtract out the exhibitors from ID and MT and the BYU kids from ID that drive a few miles to validate the non-resident sheep tag then you are left with a few dozen non-residents flying in from out-of-state as attendees. Not much of an economic boon. Well, unless you are getting consulting fees, cough, cough.

They should rename the Expo to be the Greater SLC Expo and give the damn tags back to the regular pool.

Oh yeah forget the bed sheets. 1200 thread count. My wife was impressed. I think she liked the show more than me.

I do find it interesting how cheap Africa hunts are compared to good North American hunts. One nice guys from North BC told me it's $10K + $2K Trophy Fee for a Goat Hunt.

This is why DIY is the way to go.

p.s If any NR draw drop a note. More than happy to help with information or referrals. Good luck.

I stop by one year when I was comming back from my az coues hunt I bought some of the $5 chances I would never again stop there and support Pevy and his rip off buddys shame on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back