Huggers Going After Lion Hunting in Montana

BigHornRam

Group urges FWP to end cougar hunting, hounding
Posted on Dec. 3
By VINCE DEVLIN of the Missoulian

Does the hunting of mountain lions increase the number of conflicts the animals have with humans?

Citing a Washington State University study that says it may, Big Wildlife, an international wildlife protection organization, says it has formally petitioned Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the FWP Commission to ban the hunting and hounding of cougars in Montana.

While the agency has seen Big Wildlife’s press release, FWP spokesman Ron Aasheim said Wednesday it has not yet received a formal petition asking the commission to consider a ban on cougar hunting.

Any such request, Aasheim added, would be deferred to the season-setting process, which begins in the fall and is formalized in February.

“It’s a very public process,” Aasheim said, “that would include public input. The commission and department would take it under consideration, and the commission decides if it wants to enact any changes.”

Big Wildlife spokesman Brian Vincent said Wednesday the organization has made similar requests in Washington and Oregon.

“The reason we’re involved is because of a pretty critical report released recently by Washington State University that says cougar populations are struggling, due to liberalized hunting and aggressive lethal control,” Vincent said.

That study, by Robert Wielgus, director of WSU’s Large Carnivore Conservation Laboratory, found that killing large numbers of cougars creates social chaos among the species.

Hunters often target adult males, which act as a stabilizing force in cougar populations, Wielgus told the Seattle Times. The adults police large territories and drive out or kill young males.

With the adults gone, the “young hooligans” run wild, according to Wielgus.

Most cougar conflicts with humans turn out to be cats under the age of 2, who are just learning to live on their own.

Big Wildlife also called mountain lions a “keystone species” that helps sustain ecological integrity and preserve species diversity by contributing to the regulation of deer, elk and other animal populations.

For more information, read Thursday's Missoulian or go to Missoulian.com.

"Just another brick in the wall..."
I used to try to see the other side concerning the protection of bears, wolves and cougars. Not any more. On this site and others, many have pointed out the 'errors of my ways' as far as the culling of predators is concerned. It seems so "outdated."
Bambistew... the whole point is -the opposition HAS studied California's "situation", and they're rubbing their hands with glee. They've now got their foot in the door. These clowns are backed by millions of voters AND millions of dollars. Let's see; exactly WHAT DOES a ban on hunting cougars result in? Increased depredation and a burden on Fish and Game department resources... besides purposfully throwing the predator/prey relationship dangerously out of ballance. All on purpous.
I've get nauseated every time I listen to kool-aid spewing experts proclaiming how cougars and predators are just like we hunters and how -get this- cougars are more 'noble' and have more right being out there than human hunters do. Talk about self-loathing. Many educated, accomplished hunters also espouse this suicidal rationalizing with a passion like no other; and it makes one wonder what the payoff is for them... other than self-agrandisment and one-up-manship. You'll hear from them shortly -they have no choice but to chastise and re-educate me and the rest of us.
Yep, I watched the California ban on cougar hunting grow into a totally hidious trainwreck... just like I knew it would. We hunters didn't take the threat of Prop 119 seriously enough because we figured the public was intelligent enough to realize the benifits of sound wildlife management. One thing we all learned; NEVER underestimate how stupid the voters are... ESPECIALLY in California.
So now both Oregon and Washington have banned using dogs to hunt lions... and the voters in BOTH states happily voted for those bans. Why? "Just another brick in the wall..." Give the public a little more time and they'll let you know EXACTLY how they've been programed to hate hunting and hunters. Expect a Proposition on the ballot soon in your state. You'd better take exactly what it means seriously... it's too late for us -we blew our chance. DD

I imagine that a lot of young males get killed by hunters, too....and if mature males are killed, then more territory is opened up for the young males, right? Another facet of the problem is the reduction in habitat due to expanding population and development, creating additional potential for human/animal conflict.

Good luck - just another example of how what happens here may impact your heaven on earth....

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back