Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How’s it looking this year? Apply or wait with 6pts?

MT_Fin

For those in the know, how is WY looking for antelope? I am trying to decide whether to apply this year or give them more time to see if they recover before burning points. I have 6 PP….. so what’s the consensus, hold’em or burn’em?

Drew a LE deer tag here in MT and hoping to draw antelope here as well.

I appreciate any opinions.

Fin

Nice thing about Wyoming, if you are committed to the game, you can scout prospective units prior to the draw and apply with confidence that bucks will have the tops, prongs, and mass you're looking for. The answer is always effort.

you can draw just about anywhere other than the SW 1/4 of the state. Do your homework and you will likely have a better hunt than any other state's 12 PP hunt. If you are wanting to have a chance at a Book speedgoat, you got 100% odds in 'bout 5 units with that potential.

you can draw just about anywhere other than the SW 1/4 of the state. Do your homework and you will likely have a better hunt than any other state's 12 PP hunt. If you are wanting to have a chance at a Book speedgoat, you got 100% odds in 'bout 5 units with that potential.
I’m more focused with having a good hunt and good time, hopefully look at a bunch of antelope than getting a big, but I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to that. Ha!

I need to dive in to it I guess, never hunted WY so don’t have a unit picked out. Time to research I guess more I guess. I didn’t intend to apply this year due to a busy summer and fall, but decided maybe I should anyway.

I wish I had 6 WY antelope points - I'd go hunting. I've only had 6 points once since 1995. I've been drawn for WY antelope 9 times in 27 years. The year I had 6 points I partied with my son, who had 4. We both shot B&C antelope that year.
Yeah, I didn’t intend to build them, just worked out that way. I envisioned applying for low point units and maybe hunting every couple years but either haven’t drawn or didn’t apply a couple times due to time constraints.

My son turned 12 this year, I could put in with him and try to draw a 3 point unit I suppose. A family member has 6 points too, could all put in for a 4 point unit too.

I'd burn them. I've hunted units in Utah and Oregon that took over 12 points each and they don't even compare to a 4-6 point unit in Wyoming.

If I were you - I’d find a unit you can draw with 6 in the special that has good amount of public. Just apply you. Next year fo again with a family member, then go again when your kids old enough. There’s a lot more to do than kill an antelope so find a neat place.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to keep building points. I will be at 3 points this summer and it seems like 5+ is the sweet spot...atleast for now.

Mild winter and a wet spring should equate to some really nice antelope running around! Should be a good year to have a tag

Back