Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Howa koolaid has been consumed !

• Thread starter MN Public Hunter
  • Start date
M

MN Public Hunter

Eagan, MN, United States 02/01/2016 5:55 A.M. Out For Delivery

So over the last few weeks of talking to friends about hunting the west some more and knowing I needed a good rifle I started the search. I got emails and suggestions so I started the search and found myself with 3 rifles...the Savage lightweight hunter, Kimber 84M ultralight and the Howa Mountain Alpine and all in .308...

Well, I bought the Howa Alpine in 308 and I should get it today or tomorrow....woohoo...On it's way to the dealer right now on the UPS truck :)

Searching for a scope is even harder than picking the rifle.

I sure hope Randy is right about this rifle :) I will post up some photos once I get it home.

Last edited:
Actually I just broke in a Howa Alpine Mountain in a 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. I think it's the perfect gun for what I'm looking for. They definitely are a nice rifle.

You can't go wrong with a 308. Not as new and sexy as some other calibers, but tried and true. Lots of factory ammo options that are relatively inexpensive when compared with others. Good luck with it!

You made the right choice on the rifle. So I know you will also make the right choice on the Leupold VX6 scope.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope it shoots as well as mine does.

I experimented with a lot of different rounds and ammo with mine. My HOWA 1500 liked 180 grain bullets more than 165. The Alpine Mountain Rifle in .308 Win seems a bit more partial to 165, so I have been using the 165 grain Nosler Accubonds and Partitions, and the 168 grain E-tip. It likes both of them. I shot my MT deer and elk with 165 grain Partitions this year.

Mine does have a VX-6 on it. Given it has a 1:6 ratio, you can go with a 2-12X, which gives some amazing low end field of view and all I need for further out at hunting distances. Weight-wise, we are talking an ounce or two from other options. Clarity is amazing. Size is nice on a lightweight rifle.

You probably have this part dialed in, but I always mention it when talking about new rifles. My family just started shooting the heck out of them, right out of the box, and with some mixed long-term results. I acquired that bad habit via tradition and ignorance, but about 20 years ago, decided I might want to give barrel break in with a bit more thought.

I am not smart enough to opine as a professional on the physics and metallurgy of the topic, but I'm now pretty disciplined about how I break in my barrels. A lot of guys much smarter than me have given me their professional understanding of the process and I now take it seriously. Howa usually includes their recommendation in the box and it is also available on their website. During that break in period, I never let my barrel get hot. I usually bring three or four rifles with me, in addition to the new rifle, allowing me to get some shooting with those older rifles while waiting for the new barrel to cool in between shots.

When I think of how my dad and I did it decades ago, I blush. Oh well, live and learn.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope it shoots as well as mine does.

I experimented with a lot of different rounds and ammo with mine. My HOWA 1500 liked 180 grain bullets more than 165. The Alpine Mountain Rifle in .308 Win seems a bit more partial to 165, so I have been using the 165 grain Nosler Accubonds and Partitions, and the 168 grain E-tip. It likes both of them. I shot my MT deer and elk with 165 grain Partitions this year.

Mine does have a VX-6 on it. Given it has a 1:6 ratio, you can go with a 2-12X, which gives some amazing low end field of view and all I need for further out at hunting distances. Weight-wise, we are talking an ounce or two from other options. Clarity is amazing. Size is nice on a lightweight rifle.

You probably have this part dialed in, but I always mention it when talking about new rifles. My family just started shooting the heck out of them, right out of the box, and with some mixed long-term results. I acquired that bad habit via tradition and ignorance, but about 20 years ago, decided I might want to give barrel break in with a bit more thought.

I am not smart enough to opine as a professional on the physics and metallurgy of the topic, but I'm now pretty disciplined about how I break in my barrels. A lot of guys much smarter than me have given me their professional understanding of the process and I now take it seriously. Howa usually includes their recommendation in the box and it is also available on their website. During that break in period, I never let my barrel get hot. I usually bring three or four rifles with me, in addition to the new rifle, allowing me to get some shooting with those older rifles while waiting for the new barrel to cool in between shots.

When I think of how my dad and I did it decades ago, I blush. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks Randy, I was leaning toward the 165's as well from what I have been reading. I also recalled you mentioning the barrel break in and did in fact go to the website and see the steps. If it gets warn enough here soon I will be following this process, sure can't hurt.

Dude...jump on that scope Beartooth83 has for sale

I saw that scope....I'm still just not sure which Leupold I want.

Howa usually includes their recommendation in the box and it is also available on their website. During that break in period, I never let my barrel get hot. I usually bring three or four rifles with me, in addition to the new rifle, allowing me to get some shooting with those older rifles while waiting for the new barrel to cool in between shots.

This process takes a LONG time and if you don't come prepared with other guns to shoot you may find yourself wondering what the hell you are doing.

You will enjoy shooting this gun. I have 1500 Alpine Mountain in 7mm-08 and have really enjoyed shooting it.

Break it in the slow and steady way and you'll be very happy with the results.

I think that the .308 is really under-rated. With the quality bullets that are available today, the .308 will do anything that you need for average hunting chores. As long as you know the ballistics of your load, it will do it at long distances, too. Great choice of rifle, too. I wish they made left-hand rifles.

They aren't real light, but if you want a scope that will not fail you, look at the SWFA scopes. Damn near bulletproof for reasonable money. I put a fixed 6x on mine and it I can shoot sub-moa with it at 300-don't have a place to try farther yet.

I purchased a Howa Alpine Mtn rifle in 308 as a gift for my son. With some fiddling it turned into a very nice shooter. It improved markedly after shooting some Tubbs Final Finish through it. The only issue I never fully resolved was the feeding using the detachable mag. The follower spring was too weak and the back of the round to be chambered would slip below the bolt. Feeds great with the other mag. I mounted a VX-2 3-9 w/CDS. It's a very light scope and very bright. A perfect lightweight rifle scope. I have one on my Kimber Montana as well. But the Alpine Mtn Rifle is a great shooter now and the stock has a great feel.

Nice! I won a Howa .308 1500 at a WTU banquet couple years ago. Unfortunately I haven't even fired a round through it yet :eek:

MinnesotaHunter never wants to go shooting....

Thanks everyone....I'm pretty excited, ordered the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS from Schmalts which will take a few weeks to get on back order. Snowing like the mother out there so I ran and picked it up before it got too bad and here she is !

picture.php

picture.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back