Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa koolaid has been consumed !

• Thread starter MN Public Hunter
  • Start date
Nice looking rifle...some quality components on the Alpines. The 3i should be a very good match.

I have enjoyed leafing thru the new catalogue.

As for the barrel break in, keep it simple. We offer a barrel break in procedure with each rifle.
When im out breaking in Howa rifles (which is quite frequently) i start with a perfectly clean and dry barrel and chamber. Shoot one round, then cleaning rod with a patch, alternate this for about 5-10 rounds and try not top let the barrel get warm. After the 10th round ill start shooting 3 shot groups and checking for accuracy and allowing for adequate cool down time. running a couple patches between each group. Under 1" at 100 yards is the norm for any of our Howa's within the first couple boxes of ammo. I have rifles that have posted well under an MOA with the first 3 shot group fired.

As for bullet recommendations, i get this question a lot. It really varies from rifle to rifle. Try a few, stick to what works.

This process takes a LONG time and if you don't come prepared with other guns to shoot you may find yourself wondering what the hell you are doing.

You will enjoy shooting this gun. I have 1500 Alpine Mountain in 7mm-08 and have really enjoyed shooting it.

Break it in the slow and steady way and you'll be very happy with the results.

This is why I have to keep purchasing guns, otherwise I'd be bored at the range.

As for the barrel break in, keep it simple. We offer a barrel break in procedure with each rifle.
When im out breaking in Howa rifles (which is quite frequently) i start with a perfectly clean and dry barrel and chamber. Shoot one round, then cleaning rod with a patch, alternate this for about 5-10 rounds and try not top let the barrel get warm. After the 10th round ill start shooting 3 shot groups and checking for accuracy and allowing for adequate cool down time. running a couple patches between each group. Under 1" at 100 yards is the norm for any of our Howa's within the first couple boxes of ammo. I have rifles that have posted well under an MOA with the first 3 shot group fired.

As for bullet recommendations, i get this question a lot. It really varies from rifle to rifle. Try a few, stick to what works.

I dry patch or with solvent?

Thanks everyone....I'm pretty excited, ordered the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS from Schmalts which will take a few weeks to get on back order. Snowing like the mother out there so I ran and picked it up before it got too bad and here she is !

picture.php

picture.php

Saweeettttt! Rings in the box?

I got the opportunity to shoot a Howa that Randy had set up for our WY elk hunt. I wasn't too worried about changing rifles as long as it was a good quality gun and I knew Randy spoke highly of them. I must say that that rifle had a really nice crisp trigger and a good feeling stock. The bull took one right where I was aiming at 330 yards. And that was after dropping it (only once:rolleyes:) Damn wool gloves are slippery:mad:

Back