Caribou Gear Tarp

How would Zinke be as DOI head?

I think there was a lot more to it than "hot air", given that there were transition updates circulated within DOI that said she was going to be selected.

Who knows....perhaps the collective groan that went out across the country got noticed. Either way, this is a relief given the other names that were floated.

If anyone hasn't figured out that Trump uses the media like a pawn. He can send them down a dark alley with a simple Tweet at 3 AM and keep them busy until the next Tweet comes out, and all the while keeps his name out there 24/7. In the mean time the media hasn't got the results correct in their predictions/polls/surveys etc since Trump announced his intentions to run for POTUS. If you think you know what Trump is going to do by listening to the media you might just as well call Vegas - they'll take your money.

OK JOSEY: The pulpit is now yours.

If anyone hasn't figured out that Trump uses the media like a pawn. He can send them down a dark alley with a simple Tweet at 3 AM and keep them busy until the next Tweet comes out, and all the while keeps his name out there 24/7. In the mean time the media hasn't got the results correct in their predictions/polls/surveys etc since Trump announced his intentions to run for POTUS. If you think you know what Trump is going to do by listening to the media you might just as well call Vegas - they'll take your money.

OK JOSEY: The pulpit is now yours.

Wasnt listening to the media. Was listening to inter-departmental transition team updates. I certainly hope they would have better info than the media, but who knows. We're in uncharted waters here.

Define good. This is like finding out you are only going to lose your left nut for sure when you thought everything from the waste down was going. He's after the glory. Who knows what he'll do. It likely won't be good for public land unless you are fan of exploitation.

I would think your example would make me quite happy! not just good but GGGGGrrrEEEATT!!

RobG, I would consider Trump nominating the one Republican to vote for the permanent funding of LWCF to be good news. It was almost certainly going to be much, much worse. I can't help but think Trump Jr. had some influence in this.

From Politico...

"He voted against the GOP’s fiscal 2016 budget because it sold public lands, and even resigned as a delegate to the RNC this summer because the party platform included language calling for the sale of public lands.

Zinke has also opposed efforts by House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah) to transfer land and other GOP measures to hand over millions of acres of public land from the U.S. Forest Service to the state.

He’s also partnered with Democrats on conservation issues: In October 2015 he was the only Republican to support a Democratic amendment to permanently authorize the so-called Land and Water Conservation Fund. He’s also received praise from conservation groups, including the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership.."

"Zinke has also opposed efforts by House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah) to transfer land and other GOP measures to hand over millions of acres of public land from the U.S. Forest Service to the state."

I can only hope that Robbie is having a hard time sleeping tonight

I think Zinke is the best pick we could have hoped for given the circumstances. I'm not sure what loosing his vote means. Montana residents will have to jump on his replacement right away.

As the Montana Republican party selects three nominees from which Gov Bullock is to select an interim replacement for Zinke in Congress, I am much more skeptical and concerned about the potential next Montana congressman. The leaders of the Republican party in Montana, particularly in the legislature, are a despicable group, in my opinion. Although there are some stellar moderate republicans who display integrity and honestly ... most of the leaders are ideologues who have poor vision regarding a healthy Montana of the future. They seem stuck in a near vision money hungry tea party, UN conspiracy theory alternative universe and really wish they could be cousins of Ammon Bundy.

Anyhow that's a bit of my studied and learned perspective as a active state political wonk. For disclosure, nothing I assert or opine is motivated by money or any kind of aspirations ... but purely by a love of Montana.

Grandpa, Montanan, hunter of elk and wild places with soft natural sounds and sights.

The more radical groups from both sides are mad about Zinke. That's possibly a good thing.

As someone who votes lean right, I agree with straight arrow above. MT republicans are a different breed on the local level. Hell, our democrata are too far right to be republicans in some other places.

Good selection. He bucked the Republicans with a protest over RNC platform call to transfer land to states by resigning his delegate position with the RNC, has publicly made it clear his position regarding our lands, etc. Much better to have an R make a crack in the party than further strengthening R's with D hard-lining their position.

Not a fan of the others mentioned. They have shown their colors. Zinke or Mead would be my personal picks for DOI. I would vote Juneau (D) in for Zinke's spot for the OUR land support - IF Zinke takes the DOI position. He may not... He's had/has Tester in his sights...

The more radical groups from both sides are mad about Zinke. That's possibly a good thing.

As someone who votes lean right, I agree with straight arrow above. MT republicans are a different breed on the local level. Hell, our democrata are too far right to be republicans in some other places.

True statement, they'd be considered hardcore crazy right-wing fanatics in Portland.

Good selection. He bucked the Republicans with a protest over RNC platform call to transfer land to states by resigning his delegate position with the RNC, has publicly made it clear his position regarding our lands, etc. Much better to have an R make a crack in the party than further strengthening R's with D hard-lining their position.

That's a great point, political polarization has made it hard to win an election as a moderate. For example, a Democrat who is pro life would be a better choice than a pro life Republican. Or a gay rights Republican over a gay rights Democrat, etc.

I can't help but think Trump Jr. had some influence in this.
Washington Post
"Although Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) was a leading contender to lead Interior in recent days, Zinke hit it off with Trump’s oldest son, Don Jr., an avid hunter, and met personally with the president-elect on Monday in New York."

. Hell, our democrata are too far right to be republicans in some other places.
This is why I don't get the D vs R thing in idaho. If the average American read the stance of most of Idaho's Democratic candidates without knowing D or R they would likely be labeled as moderate Republicans.
Let's be honest most Idahoans voted this year without ever reading the national Republican platform. Let alone understanding how it effects them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back