2018 Caribou Hunt

npaden

Okay,

I think I've read all the existing threads on Caribou hunting in Alaska here and on a few other forums as well.

An acquaintance of mine (our sons were in cub scouts together last year) has been on a few hunts in Alaska but hasn't been very successful. (0 for 3 on moose). Part of it seems like he is using a poor outfitter (who at least is giving him a deeply discounted rate on the last couple hunts) but it just doesn't seem like he is the best at researching outfitters so I'm not sure I want to just let him decide on everything and book it for us. I talked to him a couple days ago and he hasn't even started looking into it yet, he wasn't planning on booking anything until much later.

We discussed going on a caribou hunt next fall and he had some contacts that he was going to check with. I believe he was looking at Brooks Range Aviation as a transporter.

He hasn't booked anything yet and from what I've read the window is closing on getting something booked for next fall already. The Brooks Range caribou hunts are a little more expensive so not sure if they sell out as fast as the 40 mile herd spots do.

With all that said, I don't think either of us are 100% locked into the Brooks Range Aviation hunt. I've read some reviews on them and they seem to get good reviews, but they are $4,000 per hunter compared to $2,300 for 40 mile air. Price isn't a huge issue, but if it is going to be very similar success rates and trophy quality I think I might try to put 40 mile on speed dial on December 15th to try to get booked with them.

It looks like nearly all the units are down to 1 caribou per hunter now instead of 2. Are there still any decent options that have 2 caribou per hunter?

Are any of the draw hunts something that we should apply for or just go ahead and work on the OTC options?

I feel like I have the hunt part of it fairly figured out and I think I can handle the logistics piece, I just am curious if there are really any better or worse options for actually picking a unit to hunt. We are looking for the "Alaska experience" of being dropped off in the middle of nowhere and all that fun stuff. Also really haven't looked into what the best dates to hunt would be either. Do you just pick what fits your schedule best or is there a peak window that you want to try to get?

I feel like these are pretty basic questions and maybe they aren't questions that should be answered on an open forum so if you want to send me a PM that would be great.

Thanks in advance. Nathan

Last edited:
You are right about not delaying to book. Sooner is better than later. Good transporters will fill their seats early and after that you take your chances. I'd kind of be surprised if 40 Mile has seats open for next year, at this point. Part of the reason for the price difference between Brooks Range and 40 Mile is fuel availability. 40 Mile is based on the road system and Brooks Range isn't. Price differences could be $2 a gallon (or more). A lot of the draw permits come with access problems. Make sure you do your research before applying. If you haven't checked this website, it might be worthwhile. <http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/2-Alaska-Hunting>

Brooks Range Aviation does fly off the haul road, but I would guess it is a much farther flight than the 40 mile and that probably accounts for the price difference. What I'm wondering is if it is worth the price difference or not.

40 Mile doesn't take calls from new customers until December 15th. That's after they give all their return customers a chance to book first. I think someone posted on a thread last year that they only had 1 or 2 slots open by the time they started taking calls from new customers so I am not counting on that but figured it might be worth a try if we decide to go that route.

Thanks for the link, I've looked over there a few times but not recently.

I went with 40 mile and would recommend them.I see no reason to pay that much more for a caribou flight.It's a fun hunt but you may want to consider hunting when you could take a moose or caribou

My main concern is that they are going to not be accepting any new clients this year. Last year they took 1 new client and the year before that I don't think they took any. I guess I could make friends with someone who has flown with them before. LOL.

My main concern is that they are going to not be accepting any new clients this year. Last year they took 1 new client and the year before that I don't think they took any. I guess I could make friends with someone who has flown with them before. LOL.

That last sentence is the key. Trust me.

Too many questions to summarize a reply - will provide my 2 cents within the text of your post -

Michael

Okay,

I think I've read all the existing threads on Caribou hunting in Alaska here and on a few other forums as well.

An acquaintance of mine (our sons were in cub scouts together last year) has been on a few hunts in Alaska but hasn't been very successful. (0 for 3 on moose). Part of it seems like he is using a poor outfitter (who at least is giving him a deeply discounted rate on the last couple hunts) but it just doesn't seem like he is the best at researching outfitters so I'm not sure I want to just let him decide on everything and book it for us. I talked to him a couple days ago and he hasn't even started looking into it yet, he wasn't planning on booking anything until much later.

We discussed going on a caribou hunt next fall and he had some contacts that he was going to check with. I believe he was looking at Brooks Range Aviation as a transporter.

He hasn't booked anything yet and from what I've read the window is closing on getting something booked for next fall already. The Brooks Range caribou hunts are a little more expensive so not sure if they sell out as fast as the 40 mile herd spots do.

With all that said, I don't think either of us are 100% locked into the Brooks Range Aviation hunt. I've read some reviews on them and they seem to get good reviews, but they are $4,000 per hunter compared to $2,300 for 40 mile air. Price isn't a huge issue, but if it is going to be very similar success rates and trophy quality I think I might try to put 40 mile on speed dial on December 15th to try to get booked with them.

Let me caveat my response by saying that I am a tried and true 40 Mile Air fan, have hunted with them many times and plan to do so in the future. That said, be sure you understand the pricing structure - it's $2300 to fly you and 50 pounds of gear into the field. If you (like me) want a more comfortable camp and opt to add a 200-pound additional gear load, that will cost an additional fee; and if you shoot a caribou, there is a fee to fly it back to Tok and store it in a chilled boxcar until you return to town.

It looks like nearly all the units are down to 1 caribou per hunter now instead of 2. Are there still any decent options that have 2 caribou per hunter?

Not that I am aware of.

Are any of the draw hunts something that we should apply for or just go ahead and work on the OTC options?

The OTC options offer plenty of good hunting for caribou in Alaska.

I feel like I have the hunt part of it fairly figured out and I think I can handle the logistics piece, I just am curious if there are really any better or worse options for actually picking a unit to hunt. We are looking for the "Alaska experience" of being dropped off in the middle of nowhere and all that fun stuff. Also really haven't looked into what the best dates to hunt would be either. Do you just pick what fits your schedule best or is there a peak window that you want to try to get?

If you hunt the Brooks Range, typically cold weather will come sooner than if you hunt the 40 Mile country with 40 Mile Air. The open season dates for a non-resident in the Brooks Range and in Unit 20 (40 Mile Air country) are a little different. Typically mid-August to mid-September offers some good hunting for caribou. And either of these areas will provide you with the Alaska experience, rugged remote country.

I feel like these are pretty basic questions and maybe they aren't questions that should be answered on an open forum so if you want to send me a PM that would be great.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions, an Alaska caribou hunt is a great experience.

Thanks in advance. Nathan

Hey this is great info. Alaska black bear is first in my list but Caribou is probably second! Followed by black tail. And if I ever manage to move there goats an grizzly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back