How to stretch your pantry/fridge

Bulk spices are the per pound winner for saving more on groceries. I've gotten a bag of bay leaves for $0.01 numerous times vs the 5.99 for the jar of them.
We have thousands of acres of bay trees within a few miles. We pick a grocery bag full and throw it on top of the refrigerator in the kitchen to dry. There's a big difference between "wild" bay leaves and processed. Much much more potent.

I picked up a 6x6 walk in cooler and a 4x6 freezer a couple years ago for reasonable price . I put the together a few months ago to replace 2 stand up freezers and a refrigerator in the shop. I had to build shelves for both but they run at around 1/4 the cost of the others and hold more than double the products. An added bonus is I made some hanging racks for the cooler. View attachment 229805
Walk in cooler is definitely on my to-do list

Walk in cooler is definitely on my to-do list
You can build a box fairly easily with common materials. The critical parts are the door and the floor. A good well sealed door is a must. The boxes I bought were 4" too tall to fit in the area of the shop where they are. I used 1x6 redwood to set them directly on the concrete without the floors then sealed it all to the concrete floor. It makes for a great temp stabilizer once the concrete drops to temp. There's a lot of info on converting a simple window AC unit for a refrigeration unit. Check YouTube.

If a feller wanted to get into canning, what kind of pressure cooker shoulf he get?
I've always wanted to get into it, but have no clue where to begin.
My wife's grandmother cans vegetables, but from what I understand that is a different process
Get an all American. It’s a little more expensive but no seals. I love mine. Been going strong for years and we can most of our food. You can also use any pressure canner as a water bath canner if you don’t secure the lid allowing it to act as a pot lid instead of a sealed chamber.

We can and freeze most of our food from the gardens, Water glass eggs and dehydrate a substantial amount of stuff. We also buy in bulk and bucket it up with mylar and O2 absorbers. You can tell a major difference in the money saved as far as the food your buying but between buying the jars, buckets, lids, rings, freezers, dehydrators and everything else involved to include the time and stuff involved.. Although I have been doing this for a very long time I am thinking that it would have been much cheaper to simply get a freeze drying machine to do everything and it be the one and done processing procedure. This is part of the pantry and the only pics I had available.. one thing to remember on this is your starch storage like potatoes you cant store them with or around your apples and other things since the gasses they leak cause everything else to go bad faster.. especially your winter squash and such.

E4AC2DAC-A393-4358-B60E-1B99DA32CBF9.jpeg

Last edited:
You can build a box fairly easily with common materials. The critical parts are the door and the floor. A good well sealed door is a must. The boxes I bought were 4" too tall to fit in the area of the shop where they are. I used 1x6 redwood to set them directly on the concrete without the floors then sealed it all to the concrete floor. It makes for a great temp stabilizer once the concrete drops to temp. There's a lot of info on converting a simple window AC unit for a refrigeration unit. Check YouTube.
Luckily enough, I have an uncle that owns a HVAC business.
I have actually put in a couple liquor store walk-ins with him. It's just a matter of convincing the wife it is worth spending the money

Luckily enough, I have an uncle that owns a HVAC business.
I have actually put in a couple liquor store walk-ins with him. It's just a matter of convincing the wife it is worth spending the money
A feller could make a killing with a good walk in around here simply processing deer a few months out of the year..

Anybody make their own stocks/broth from leftover bones?
I've been debating on it. Not huge cost savings, but it would be nice to add yet another item to the diy list
Yes I do. There is a cost saving aspect to it but I also appreciate knowing exactly what is in the food I'm feeding my family. We haven't bought stock or broth in a couple of years.

I've been debating on it. Not huge cost savings, but it would be nice to add yet another item to the diy list

Sometimes. Its hard to make enough to use for my uses purposes, but the flavor difference is huge. Any homemade stock or broth is going to be night and day better than anything store bought. Bean broths are great too. I always use dried beans. Flavor the water when cooking them. The beans will taste better and you can use the broth in whatever you can cooking with them.

My understanding is that cooked and cleaned bones can be used as well as raw?

Yes. If you want a proper stock the bones need to be cleaned up, but I almost never brother with that, unless I am being fancy.

Pro tip: I like spatchcocking chickens since they cook faster, but save the backbones in the freezer for making chicken broth.

Edit/addition: I once made a ham bone broth. A little went a long way and added an awesome porkiness to anything you added it to.

Absolutely. I think it saves a ton of money in the long run. I save every bone, meat scrap, onion skin, garlic peel, carrot peels, parsley stems, etc. and make broth on a regular basis. Basically my routine is to spool all the vegetable trimmings into a bag in the freezer and then when I make chicken (always whole chickens that I piece up) I throw the back in the stock pot with all the veg trimmings from the freezer and let that cook over night. When dinner is done any bones on plates get thrown in as well. Keeps us with plenty of broth. In the heat of the summer the chicken backs get spooled to the freezer as well and we make a big batch in the big pot I have for brewing beer once the weather cools off. We usually have 6-8 quart containers in the freezer at any given time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back