How to stretch your pantry/fridge

If making beef bone broth, or venison for that matter too, give the bones a good roast, 400 degrees for an hour or so. You’ll get a better color and helps with the flavor as well.

If you really want to build some flavor into recipes, keep the broth cooking down for another couple days and turn it into a demi-glaze. I freeze mine in an ice cube tray. Great flavor and worth the effort.

Haven't done it with beef, but homemade chicken/turkey stock is tons better than commercial. Freezes well. And you can control the salt.

More of a convenience thing but Canned Burrito filling in a jar is handy for hunting camp and shelf stable storage.

More of a convenience thing but Canned Burrito filling in a jar is handy for hunting camp and shelf stable storage.

Man that sounds good

Buy a freezer (if you can find one). Make your own stock after you make your roast chickens/turkeys.

Then, leftover chicken/turkey becomes:
  1. Chicken enchilada casserole
  2. Chicken noodle soup; make your own noodles, its really easy, and you don't need a machine
  3. Chicken and dumplings
Make up bulk lasagne, spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, stews, etc. and freeze.

Easy to pull out something when you're busy rather than ordering out.

Plus, cooking days are fun; someone chops, someone sautés, someone assembles, etc.

Buy 20# each of pintos, black beans and rice. Depending upon where you live, you may have to store them in different ways.

Funny how no one is much laughing at folks who stored food and ammo any more.

Canning fresh veggies in season is pretty easy too.

And, from my brief time in Idaho, the Mormons had "canning days" when they canned fresh veggies, and they all supposedly had a year's supply of food stored. They invited my wife to come and they knew we weren't Mormon; don't know if its still that way or not.
Yup! This! As I was reading the earlier posts, I was thinking of suggesting using the remaining bones, neck, etc. to make your own stock and/or soup. I've added that to my process for Costco rotisserie chicken. I tend to do it more over the colder months, but if times are tough, I'll do it year-round.

I bought my freezer long ago, it is needed space with successful hunting seasons. Do it if you haven't already. Worst case scenario, leave it unplugged if unused. And let the neighbors know when you have space. I have a neighbor that shared elk and muley last year because he had so much and no more freezer space. Score!

Last edited:
Our clients give us canned fish sometimes, I really want to learn how to do it myself one of these days. Make great sandwiches with them.

I make tons of apple butter and can it in the fall from picking apples that people don't want (and to keep the bears away)...no apple goes to waste! Not exactly healthy but it sure tastes good. (I'm sure you can makes lots of other things with free apples)

Also this thread instantly made me think of this pine bark bread recipe....so if you really want to stretch that dollar!
You can trade/barter that Apple Butter!

My wife cans a bunch and makes jelly’s/jams from fruit and berries. Her specialty is elderberry jelly and juice. If we get any cough in the winter we take a drink of that and it’s gone within 6 hours.

I still think it’s witchcraft of some sort. Been trying to get the county together to have a trial and burn her but no luck yet.
Yup! More trade/barter opportunity here. Use your (well, your wife's) skills to get something that maybe you don't make or can, etc. People will value it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back