Best Duck Recipe

sagebrush

In my younger day, I was a waterfowl fanatic. I've eaten more ducks and geese than most guys will kill in a lifetime. I started waterfowling back when you could kill 7 sprig in a day, and I usually did. Anyways, I saw in another thread some guys interested in eating waterfowl and thought, rather than hijacking a thread, I would put up my favorite waterfowl recipe.

I prefer to roast a duck whole and fry a goose breast half with the skin on. To prepare the duck, I just place it on a rack over a pan and roast in a pre-heated oven at 425 for 25 minutes for the larger species and 20 minutes on the smaller. I like the skin to be browned and crispy, so I will broil on high to 3-4 minutes if necessary. Just depends on your oven. The bird is done when still rare, but warm in the center. When I say rare, I mean dark purple to dark, dark red. For goose breast, I fry in a little olive oil on a medium high heat for 3 minutes per side starting with the skin side down on a higher heat, then turning and lower the heat just a little for the flesh side. I serve with a dipping sauce and your choice of side dishes. The dipping sauce is what makes the dish.

Dipping Sauce

Cut the tops off 4 heads of garlic to expose the tops of the gloves. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 until the tops just start to brown and the gloves start to soften. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Sautee 1 cup of sliced shallots in butter until carmelized. You will need to watch your shallots closely because they will go from browned to burnt very quickly. Once the shallots are carmelized, remove the pan from heat and deglaze with brandy. The brandy will immediately boil and thicken with the butter and shallot liquid. You want to achieve a consistency of a paste or very thick gravy. Put the shallot mixture into a food processor, squeeze the garlic cloves out of the heads and into the processor. Process, adding strong chicken broth (I use 2 bouillon cubes to 1 cup water) until the mixture achieves the consistency of gravy. Finish by adding a half cup of chopped fresh basil. Serve warm on the side and dip the waterfowl into the sauce as you cut and eat. Don't substitute for the shallots or fresh basil or you might as well not bother trying the sauce.

I have had some guests that had to close their eyes to get the first bite of rare duck into their mouth, but everyone I have served this dish to has always eaten every bite once they got started.

Last edited:
That's my secret for making game tasty. Rare. other than that, it's all details. Although my wife cooks goose breasts in the crock pot till they're fall apart. They make damn good tamales.

With ducks we usually fillet the breast and basically treat them like deer tenderloin. One of my favorites is to marinade in 1/2 red wine 1/2 dales steak sauce with a few whole peppercorns and crushed garlic cloves, wrap in bacon and sear quickly on a hot grill. Char the bacon but the duck should be rare.

Also good rolled in melted butter, coated in blackened steak seasoning and seared in a cast iron skillet. Once again it should be rare.

With geese we cut them in 2" chunks and grill on skewers with vegetables. I use varying marinades. Old ganders can be tough, try to pick a young bird. Bacon is optional on the kabobs. Serve rare.

Has anyone tried goose summer sausage?

I like to use a honey orange duck recipe for mallards. With Canada honkers my wife cooks them in a crockpot, dices the breasts, then uses the meat to make goose pot pie. She also slices up goose breasts and makes jerky from them. That dipping sauce of Sagebrush's sounds exquisite but I am not sure I am smart enough to pull it off!

I had a bunch of ducks and geese in my freezer when summer rolled around a few years back. I also had several big game tags in my pocket, so I needed the room. Ground 'em all, made summer sausage and brought it to work. Disappeared in short order. Everyone kept asking for more each year, but I've given up on the waterfowl in favor of chasing the big stuff.

Papa-Zulu - It'sa little intimidating the first time you make it, but after that it's really pretty easy. Just make sure you have everything laid out before you start.

I take mine to the butcher after i get 20 - 30 and have him make snack sticks out of them. Jalapeno Cheddar, Cheddar, Garlic cheddar, whatever he can toss together and they work out great during fishing and hunting season to take out with me as well as for those others in camp.

i'll add to this thread, I also shoot lots of ducks and geese in a season, here in Idaho the 160 day season rocks..... anyway.....

1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
Lawry's seasoning salt too taste,
6 duck or 3 goose breasts

coat breast's with mixture, put in hot oil or Olive oil, brown on both sides about 4 minutes, take out pat dry with paper towel, slice thin strips the short way against the grain of the meat, should be warm and slightly pink in the middle, I than put light coating of Orange Sauce on it from Panda, it is pretty good, sometimes will stick in the smoker for an hour too get a nice smokey taste when I have time also, I do put them in a brine of 2 cups water, 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over night...
Matt

Back