MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How outdated am I? Mathews mq32

AkE

I have an old bow, shoot it a little from time to time, but no hunting since it`s not allowed to hunt with bows here. But looking at all the archery hunting on you tube it got me wondering about how outdated my bow really is, it`s a Mathews mq32 60 pounds with 32" draw length.

Pretty outdated. But if you shoot it well, then who cares.

The new bows are going to be a heck of a lot nicer to shoot though.

Very. Go to a pro shop, shoot some new bows, and it will be pretty obvious.

I am guessing that since the poster is from Norway and bow hunting is not legal there, any "pro shop" for archery will be almost non existent.

Suffice it to say that bow companies want you to believe that if your bow is over two years old, it (and you!) are over the hill and horribly antiquated. As long as you are able to put your broadhead into the vitals, the age of the bow shouldn't matter. New bows do have added niceties over older models. Quieter, smoother, faster might make it easier for the archer to do justice to the quarry.

One regularly poster to HuntTalk (mdunc8 I'm looking at you) has shown a pic of a bow that is older than some members here and is still getting it done.

Definitely makes things a little more difficult, but gets the job done. She still manages, on occasion, a clean pass through on blues. If I had the money, I'd buy a new bow in a heartbeat. Just too many other toys and projects around the house that take priority.

I am in the same boat as far as an outdated bow. I have a Browning Rage I bought in my freshman year of high school back in 2007. It is on the top of my list to upgrade this spring. After a last minute string change before my Mule deer rifle hunt and busy schedule I didn't get to shoot it after the strings got put on until I had a 50 yard shot at a muley the day before rifle season. Was a giant mistake to not shoot it for it was not the same what so ever. The string was longer and my peep sight got all messed up. Needless to say that buck got a second chance that year. And my logic is if I have to reset up an entire bow why not it be a new one :) now I just need to find one that I like. open to recommendations

Pro shops are more rare then hens teeth up here, it`s no where to try out archery equipment. So online shopping is the way to go for me, but that`s a bit overwhelming when you got so little knowledge as I do.. So recommendations would be very welcome. I don`t need the 2017 models, but a decent bow that would last some years.

I have been shooting my Mathews Q2 for 3 years now, bought it used. My goal before upgrading to a newer bow is to kill an elk and deer with it. I've shot an antelope with it, but know there has to be a newer bow that fits me better.

OK, I'll ask the dumb question. If hunting with a bow is not legal why worry about having the latest/greatest? If you just target shoot, does it shoot good? Do you like it and how it works? Don't see much point in getting anything different if you can't use it. I shoot a Mathews Legacy. It hasn't been made for over 12 years now I think. All I've ever done is new strings or cables and I kill deer every fall. Maintenance and upkeep will make a bow last a long time. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I have been shooting a PSE Beast for I think 14-15 years now. It may not be the fastest or the most silent but neither am I.I have taken a decent Iowa whitetail buck each year since I have owned it and have no plans for an upgrade.

I shoot a Matthews Q2, there's not a thing wrong with it! If you want to go spend $1000 + go buy a pair of bino's !

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back