How old is to old? (Burns)

Hunter&Huntress

Since recently moving back to montana I have been doing some e-scouting. I have came across a few burns from 2007. Do you guys think this is to old of a burn to be productive for elk?

I think it depends on the new growth that is regenerated. If the trees are still thin and it's mostly grass and green growth, it should still be productive as long as other conditions such as water and sanctuary are there. No two areas are identical in this, so it really depends on the conditions that exist. The key is food, water and sanctuary, except in the rut, it's food, water and breed then sanctuary. If all that is present, the old burns are still good for elk.

Intensity of burn is important. If a fire burns very hot, it cooks and destroys the fragile root systems and leaves a very sterile patch of soil that will take a while to recondition and sustain new growth. A fast moving fire that does not burn particularly hot will generally leave the root systems intact and grasses and other plants will regenerate right away followed by saplings that sprout from existing tree roots and pine cones that have had their seeds released by the heat of the fire. Aspens regenerate from volunteers in existing root systems while many of your evergreens need that fire to heat the cones and release the seeds within. Very hot fires can leave a patch of ground sterile for a long time especially with soils high in silica sand. Sandstone and limestone based soils will bake into a pottery like hardness that has to be broken down over time before much will grow in it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back