Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How often do you change out your bow?

G

Guest member 25165

Went in to my local pro shop today to look at what's new in the world of compound bows and I just about fell over with sticker shock looking at the prices for flagship bows. I haven't shot anything new since 2013. I know a lot of guys get the newest bow every year and trade off their old one in the process. Just curious, how often do you change out your bow?

Went in to my local pro shop today to look at what's new in the world of compound bows and I just about fell over with sticker shock looking at the prices for flagship bows. I haven't shot anything new since 2013. I know a lot of guys get the newest bow every year and trade off their old one in the process. Just curious, how often do you change out your bow?
Looking forward to hearing the answer to this as well… if I make a one time purchase of a brand new bow, is it worth paying the extra $200 to upgrade annually after that? My bow is an 07 and shoots great side by side with last years PSE model. Doesn’t look as nice though.

I finally killed an elk with my Hoyt VTEC in 2018, bought it back in 2006. Decided to upgrade last year to a powermax and am loving it. The promotion and raise at work certainly helped with that decision.

I started bowhunting at age 16 in 1978 with a Jennings Shooting Star set at 80#
Then in the late 1990s I bought a PSE that didn't fit me for $40 at a swapmeet. I stripped it of all the accessories, quiver, sights, rest, stabilizer, and then sold it for $40, bought a new PSE Polaris that fit me and put on all the accessories for it.
In 2007 I went into an archery shop to buy arrows and ended up walking out with a Mathews Drenalin and it's what I shoot today.

So in 43 years I've owned 3 bows.

I used to buy a new bow every year or two….. did that for a long time. I now shoot a PSE X-force that is almost 10 years old, and have had no reason to upgrade, it’s quiet,quick and nothing is wrong with it. I will probable look for an upgrade in the next 2-5 years. I guess it depends on what your after and how often you shoot. When I was constantly upgrading I would do 500-800 shot a week, now I do about that many a year.

I got a new bow tech in 2009 or 10? I haven’t bow hunted in 3 years but now the kids are getting big enough I can hunt and not feel guilty about it. I think when I fully commit to Bowhunting again I will buy a new bow.

OK... you guys can laugh. I still shoot my Mathews "OUTBACK". It may not be the newest bow, however, it's the darn best bow that I have ever shot.
I won't laugh at that at all. My uncle still shoots my dad's first ever compound bow. They both shoot left handed. My dad bought the bow when he was in his 20's and my dad gave it to my uncle shortly there after. My dad is now 68. My uncle seems to get at least one deer with it every year. By the way, the Mathews Outback was the coolest bow I'd had ever seen at the time. I would have given anything to have one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started on a PSE compound when I was 12. Shot fingers with a tab my dad made for me out of old boot leather. Hunted through my teens with it, then took a few years off from archery. Early 20 bought a Browning bow and upgraded to a mechanical release! Used that for about 15 years. Now I'm on my 3rd year with my 3rd bow, a Mission mxr. I kind of want to get a recurve too for some fun practice. Don't think I would hunt with it though.

I only upgrade to a “new” bow when I find one that feels and shoots better than what I’ve got.
Got rid of 2 E35s this year and picked up a new Axius Ultra and a 2 year old Double XL. Both are great shooting bows, for me.

I bought a used compound bow to see if I'd like bowhunting. It was an entry-level bow that really wasn't that great to shoot but was accurate, and I decided to keep it until I killed a bull with it...that took 7 seasons. The new Elite I bought to replace it will last me at least 10 years.

...I've also bought 2 recurves in that span and can't wait to pick up another one of those, I may have a problem :p

Dad bought me a hoyt raider when I was 16 used it for 8 years. Bought my friends hoyt razrtec in 2005 shot that until 2018 and upgraded to a hoyt nitrum 30 and will probably have that for atleast 10 years. I get attached to them.

I still have my Herters recurve (70's) and my four wheel Jennings Arrowstar. (80's) I stopped hunting for 27 years and for Christmas, my wife bought me a PSE somethingorother 6 years ago. I intend to use it as long as I can draw it back and it is cranked as low as it will go.

If they make a torn rotator cuff friendly bow, someone please let me know.

I have a 2006 Bowtech Tomkat that I still use today. It shoots just fine. I have thought many times about getting a new bow but unless I start having serious issues, I can't justify the high cost of a new one.

I had a hand-me-down Jennings Buckmaster from 2005-2012. I bought a 2013 Bowtech Insanity CPXL after that and kept it until 2018. I sold and bought a Bowtech RealmX which I grew to dislike. I ditched the RealmX in 2019 and got a Hoyt RX-1 which is what I'm shooting today. I would trade my RX-1 for my old CPXL in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Buying used bows is the way to go. The prices on new ones is insane and the depreciation is unreal. A buddy of mine just sold his RX-1 that he bought for $1299 in 2019 for $650 on Archerytalk.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back