Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How much to spend on a new rifle?

FairWeather

I’ll start out with disclosing I am new to hunting, and newly returned to shooting.

I’m considering upgrading my deer rifle (LH 308 Savage 11 trophy hunter w/Nikon prostaff, they were a package deal) either after this season, or the year after, and I’m trying get something of the lay of the land on how to interpret quality and marginal return for the money.

I’m a bassist, and it kinda seems like rifles may fall into similar price ranges as basses do. What I’m picking up looking around is rifles kinda shake out like

Intro/Starter = <$750
- Lack some features or lower quality, but will get the job done.

Intermediate = $750-$2000
- Good enough for most anything

Pro level =$2000-infinity
- Marginal return on investment in terms of measurable improvement down range the higher up you go, but they sure are pretty.

Is this a fair approximation of the break out?

My rifle firmly falls in the starter category, but it seems to shoot OK. My groups aren’t great, but that’s more on me.

My question then becomes: what features should I look for in this intermediate category to indicate better bang for your buck?

And lastly, what suggestions do you all have for a 308 that is either left handed or ambidextrous?

I know I should also (primarily?) upgrade my optic as well, but that’s a discussion for a different subforum.

Last edited:
If you're looking at a deer rifle and want factory loaded ammo, I'd suggest looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08 and 308. How a rifle fits you and what grabs your your eye is important so I'd look at a bunch of them whenever you're by a gun dealer. Seems like Browning has got several nice options, also Christensen Arms, Bergara, etc. If you have a chance to look at one, Howa has a Randy Newberg model with a Leupold scope that seems like it would be a solid choice. That rifle might be an exclusive with Sportsman's Warehouse, if you are near any of their stores.

If it were me, I would get a 270 Winchester to 7mm Rem Mag (depending on how far you shoot). I would look at a rifle in the $1000-$1300 range. I would look at getting a Leupold VXIII quality and up in scope. I have quit trying to do things cheap, it just costs you more in the end.

First, get a decent scope (think leupold vx3hd from forum member @schmalts). That’s a $450 item that you can carry forward to a better rifle if you add that later.

Second, no need to get more than a TiKka T3X if you still want a nicer action than the savage. That $750 give or take.

Here is a thread you may find useful.

Guns are easy it’s the optics that break the bank. Tikka and a swarovski scope will set you for life. Don’t mess around with leupolds.

Do you want a new rifle? If so, what are you trying to accomplish with it?

The base/package Savage 11 .308 is a good gun, although not as smooth as a Tikka, Browning, or Bergara. On the Savage, keep an eye on extraction issues (easy DIY fix that can be done cheaply in 5 minutes by replacing the extractor) and light primer strikes (15 minute fix by replacing the firing pin spring, which is also inexpensive), but other than that it should be a solid gun.

Agreed that the scope, base, and rings should be replaced with something a little clearer and more reliable. Those rings are the cheapest of the cheap. I have had cheap rings break on me in the field, and that will immediately ruin a hunt. A DNZ base/ring combo setup is ugly and rock solid, or you may prefer a quality pic rail and rings for more mounting flexibility. Like VG said, the scope can be moved to another gun if you decide to go that way in the future.

Whatever you do, practice and get to know your rifle. A .308 is pretty easy on the shoulder, readily available, and plenty powerful for most NA game to sane ranges if quality ammo is used. If you decide to change cartridges then you can rebarrel your Savage or buy another gun, but handle and shoot several before getting into a Ford/Chevy type of debate with a forum or gun club. What fits you best may not fit someone else the same way, so comfort and felt recoil are relative.

I have bought a good many rifles. Everything from a $125 Marlin 30/30 from Service Merchandise on sale to several new Weatherby Mark V rifles. I never had more fun and enjoyed a rifle experience more buying my Rem 700 and upgrading it with a new stock , trigger and optics. I havent been more happy and fully happy with any of the higher end rifles I bought. For me it wasn't about cost efficiency it was about being happy with what had.

Last edited:
I won't ever discouraged someone from buying another gun, but you certainly don't need to upgrade from the savage. I used 2 different stevens model 200 rifles in my teens and took a load of deer with them. The stevens is essentially a savage with a plastic stock shaped like a 2x4.

Whatever you do I would start with upgrading to a vx3 or better. Huge step up imo. After that, if there is still money in the budget I think I would look at a tikka.

Depends on what you want to hunt for the most part. Realistically, you have a very serviceable rifle in a caliber good for just about everything. I'd upgrade the scope and practice more.
If you're looking for another rifle, as others note, Tikka and Bergara are solid.

Intro/Starter = <$750
- Lack some features or lower quality, but will get the job done.

Intermediate = $750-$2000
- Good enough for most anything

Pro level =$2000-infinity
- Marginal return on investment in terms of measurable improvement down range the higher up you go, but they sure are pretty.

Is this a fair approximation of the break out?
Yep.

My question then becomes: what features should I look for in this intermediate category to indicate better bang for your buck?

And lastly, what suggestions do you all have for a 308 that is either left handed or ambidextrous?

I know I should also (primarily?) upgrade my optic as well, but that’s a discussion for a different subforum.
When I got a new rifle I wanted something that was light weight (obviously not the 11.5lbs James Bond ^ is toting around the corn field), weather resistant so either stainless or cerakoted, ambidextrous (I'm cross eye dominate), and threaded (muzzle break or a can at some point). Now my use case was a bunch of near term backpack hunting in Alaska and some of those would change if I was hunting other states and species.

Weatherby is ok if you get their left-handed rifles, but they only come (usually) in the weatherby calibers. They suck for crosseye shooting as they are super "handed" rifles.

I've found that Model 70/Mauser actions suck to shoot cross eye dominate as well, kinda a combination of being hard to work, weird safety, smacking your hand off hand with the bolt. They are ok if you get the left-handed versions but are hard to find.

The best actions for crosseye dominate shooters are Browning, Savage, Tikka, and then Remington 700. The tang saftey on the browning and save is great, the Tikka is super smooth and easy to work.

Generally speaking synthetical stock rifles will be better for ambidextrous shooting.

For me in the end, it was between a browning xbolt and a tikka, and I went with the tikka.

I think if I was looking for an all purpose rifle that's mostly getting used for whitetail, but would work great for occasional western hunts, I would look at the tikka roughtech.

I think if I was looking for an all purpose rifle that's mostly getting used for whitetail, but would work great for occasional western hunts, I would look at the tikka roughtech.
I don't think Tikka makes the roughtech in lefty configuration, but the plain jane T3x Lite would do just fine for his needs.

I am another vote for Tikka. Working in the shop I have regular access to everything from $400 Mossberg Patriots (junk) up to $7000 Proof rifles and have shot most of them. Tikka T3 line and the Bergaras represent the best value by far. The deciding factors for me were 1) NOT a fan of the Rem 700 style action and 90 deg bolt throw. 2) Weight- comparable models are noticeably lighter in the Tikka 3) Stock trigger in Tikka is EXCELLENT and 4) the ability to get a vertical grip with a palm swell for $15. Also, I got the Roughtech package which gave me an upgraded stock, fluted and threaded barrel, fluted bolt, oversized bolt handle and muzzle break for an extra $250. Had a buddy cerakote mine barrel and action in burnt bronze. Pro tip....pick up the Mountain Tactical 0 MOA rail from tikkaperfomance.com as it comes with the integrated recoil lug as well.

Attachments

• burnt bronze.jpg
    burnt bronze.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210731_141731.jpg
    20210731_141731.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member