MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How much to spend on a new rifle?

If I was going to buy a new rifle, I'd go with Tikka or Bergara.

If you don't really need a new one, just wanted something to shoot a little better.. I would upgrade your optics, stock and have your current rifle rebarreled. I have bought a few savage rifles when they go on sale for the action. They are relatively easy to rebarrel or have rebarreled..

Mauser has some pretty accurate rifles for relatively inexpensive.

The first thing I will say is that is is NOT the rifle that makes you a great hunter, it's the nutcase behind the scope, his/her mindset, knowledge of shooting techniques, ranging and that. Personally, I would look at rifles that shoot medium to high range bullets, not too heavy in weight yet durable and reliable. You can find that in most middle of the road price ranges. I shoot a Model 700 CDL 30-06 and love it. Didn't pay a whole lot but it's taken a beating and got me lots of antelope so far and hopefully deer and elk and then if I am really lucky on the draw a moose and a bear. I also like the 7mm mag for long range shots and thinking about buying another one.

I suppose it could be worth asking what about the Tikka or Howa makes it better? Is there something you look for in the bolt, the action, or the stock to tell its good? For instance, if there were a clone of their rifle, like the many recent models flooding in from Turkey that are knockoffs of various other models, how do you know which one is copying a quality rifle’s design? What are the tells?

On the side discussion of the Mauser action, that’s something I do have experience with as my first rifle was an old ww2 Mauser k98, and I briefly owned a righty Ruger Gunsite scout. I always found it easiest to work the action by reaching my left (firing) hand over the top to work the action. It’s easier to keep roughly on target stabilizing the butt with my shoulder and the forearm with the non firing hand and reaching over and and grabbing the bolt gives a little extra leverage to work the stiffer bolt. The only time it was an issue was with a scope mounted, which is what made the Gunsite convenient since the scope was mounted way up on the barrel. When I was shopping for my current rifle, I figured if I couldn’t find a lefty 308 in my price range (it took months of online searching) I was just going to settle for one of those again and eat the extra expense because at least I knew it wasn’t the biggest PITA to use lefty.

Not disrespect to the op, but God I hate these threads. There is no wrong/right answer. Pick out something that feels right in your hands and has a good reputation and go with it.

Not disrespect to the op, but God I hate these threads. There is no wrong/right answer. Pick out something that feels right in your hands and has a good reputation and go with it.
That’s just it, I wasn’t asking for model recommendations, that just started happening. I suppose what I’m really asking is, to you statement, what is it that earned various makes/models their good reputation? Presuming that most every innovation has been more or less copied by most every manufacturer, what are the improved/more reliable features that I should be looking for?

That’s just it, I wasn’t asking for model recommendations, that just started happening. I suppose what I’m really asking is, to you statement, what is it that earned various makes/models their good reputation? Presuming that most every innovation has been more or less copied by most every manufacturer, what are the improved/more reliable features that I should be looking for?
I know that's the part that drives me crazy. Everybody posts up I have this you should shoot it too, lol. Anymore I think all features are a matter of personal preference and can only be determined by experience. I wish you luck in your search. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Good luck

You mentioned in the OP that you could improve your skills. Have you taken or thought about taking a formal shooting class?

Other option since you also mentioned shooting a box of 308 leaves you with a sore arm you could look at getting a 22lr if you don't have one already or a 223 rem as a trainer. They're a heck of a lot cheaper and much nicer on the shoulder.

Regarding your current setup how many brands of ammo have you shot through it? Maybe you haven't found a load that the rifle really likes. Might go buy a few more brands and see if that tightens up the groups.

God I swear you old boomers just read the first word of a post then just type whatever comes into your head.
Try to follow along. The fella who started this thread is a lefty and we were discussing other options for right-handed rifles and quick follow up shots working the bolt with left-hand. I found the discussion interesting because I am right-handed and had no concept how those folks get by if they can't find a left-hand model. Also, at one time I was struggling to save the sight of both eyes and it was a very real possibility I might wind up with only the left one working (barely!). Seem to be over the hump now but it's still a possibility. At any rate, I think the need for quick follow up shots is greatly exaggerated ... mostly by gun manufacturers looking to peddle gimmicks (guns for combat situations excepted of course).

I suppose it could be worth asking what about the Tikka or Howa makes it better? Is there something you look for in the bolt, the action, or the stock to tell its good? For instance, if there were a clone of their rifle, like the many recent models flooding in from Turkey that are knockoffs of various other models, how do you know which one is copying a quality rifle’s design? What are the tells?

On the side discussion of the Mauser action, that’s something I do have experience with as my first rifle was an old ww2 Mauser k98, and I briefly owned a righty Ruger Gunsite scout. I always found it easiest to work the action by reaching my left (firing) hand over the top to work the action. It’s easier to keep roughly on target stabilizing the butt with my shoulder and the forearm with the non firing hand and reaching over and and grabbing the bolt gives a little extra leverage to work the stiffer bolt. The only time it was an issue was with a scope mounted, which is what made the Gunsite convenient since the scope was mounted way up on the barrel. When I was shopping for my current rifle, I figured if I couldn’t find a lefty 308 in my price range (it took months of online searching) I was just going to settle for one of those again and eat the extra expense because at least I knew it wasn’t the biggest PITA to use lefty.
My son-in-law has one of those Ruger Scout guns. I greatly dislike it but I can see where it would be a workable solution for left-hand operation of a right-hand bolt action. The much shorter barrel would also be an advantage if working the bolt right-handed while shooting left-handed. But I can understand why .308 would be making you punchy. His is a thumper even with heavy laminated stock. Muzzle jump is also pretty bad.

Did your Mauser @#)(# on closing? That would definitely be a hassle for left-hand operation.

Last edited:
You mentioned in the OP that you could improve your skills. Have you taken or thought about taking a formal shooting class?

Other option since you also mentioned shooting a box of 308 leaves you with a sore arm you could look at getting a 22lr if you don't have one already or a 223 rem as a trainer. They're a heck of a lot cheaper and much nicer on the shoulder.

Regarding your current setup how many brands of ammo have you shot through it? Maybe you haven't found a load that the rifle really likes. Might go buy a few more brands and see if that tightens up the groups.
I haven’t considered taking a class, frankly wasn’t aware that’s even a thing. I do have plenty of experience shooting, having grown up in the Boy Scouts and then served as an infantryman in the army, I just don’t get to the range as often as I should. Only about once every 3 months these days.

I also think I may just be shooting too fast for what the barrel likes. Groups start out ok and them get worse. Hard to say if it’s because the barrel is getting hot, or because my arm is getting sore and I’m flinching. Probably a bit of both.

I do have a 10/22 and an AR, both of which I can group pretty well considering they’re only equipped with iron sights.

As for ammo variety, that’s probably a good place to start looking. I’ve only tried 3: Winchester 7.62x51, Red Army Standard 308, and Federal Power Shok. Basically I’ve just been buying cheap fmj stuff for the range, and then the (also cheap) federal for my hunting rounds. Might be time to bite the bullet and try some spendier ammo.

Back