Caribou Gear Tarp

How much for capes?

mdunc8

Anyone have any experience selling the capes from animals they just do europeans on? Just curious to know if it's worth the time hauling it out of the woods.

Depends on specie, size, condition of hair, and time of year. Tons of variables. Muley cape can go from $50 to $250 depending of size. Elk are the same, sometimes you can't sell them at any price. Dall sheep fetch premium money under just about any circumstances. I just purchased two of those. Cost my clients $750 each.

Definately worth your time to cape them if possible.

I sold 4 mule deer capes this year...$35-40 each, an elk cape for 110 another for 50. Sold half a dozen antelope capes for 30 each.

Some years back I sold some lifesize doe antelope capes for $100 each, a few buck antelope lifesize for $150 each.

Sold a ewe sheep my dad shot for $700 a few years ago.

The money makes it worth it, but its also makes sense to use as much of the animal as possible. Saving capes can be a real pain in the butt at times though.

All capes have some value. You should talk to a local taxidermist,nearly all of them are looking for capes.At the very least they should be able to tell you what they are worth.

yup, what the others have said....I've received $40--$50 for mature deer shoulder capes. $75 for mature elk capes. The most $, weirdly enough was a shoulder mount wild pig @ $100

Don't talk to my wife about the moose cape. She will pay you to take it. She thinks they are the ugliest animal alive.

Holy cow. Is that the normal rate for those things or was there something special going on?

Still regret tossing a bighorn ewe cape. dumb. shoulda sold it. Had it in a freezer for a while then just tossed it.

When I kill a bighorn ram I will try to sell the whole body cape. Like european mounts just fine.

belly-deep,

Cabelas was doing a lot of work, most all life-size stuff. It took me about an hour to cape the sheep for a life-size mount.

Today, I dont know if you could sell a life-size ram cape for that...quite a few out there.

Anyone that shoots a decent sized mule deer with a double throat patch, I would be way interested.
MyFirstMuleDeer-ID-200511.jpg

I regret not having my first mounted and would like to fix that.

belly-deep,

Cabelas was doing a lot of work, most all life-size stuff. It took me about an hour to cape the sheep for a life-size mount.

Today, I dont know if you could sell a life-size ram cape for that...quite a few out there.

The last Rocky Mnt Big Horn Life Sized skin I came across went for $1900 raw, which is basically just skinned and frozen.

The people who pay are those who don't have access to skins locally. I can sell a wt cape from south texas to somebody up north for a pretty penny. I can't hardly get enough to cover skinning fees from the locals. Just something to think about.

That was a nice cape Tyler. Maybe this one will hold on to his a couple more years before letting me have it.

111.jpg

112.jpg

I get around $50.00 for a deer cape and 40 for an antelope. But I usually trade for european or tanning and such.

how bout for a bear I am going this spring but already have a rug and not sure what to do with another just want the meat and skull what can a guy get for a bear hide i know color and hair and size has a lot to do withit but lets just say a 250lb black bear

Back