Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How many rounds do you carry?

Spitz

I'm talking about a hunt where you leave your vehicle and head out after some game. Could be on foot or horse or wheeler.

I've been looking over some pictures of random trophy pictures of hunters with their animals and have seen a fairly high percentage of them with those stretch fit cartridge carriers that hold an arsenal of rounds and they're full!

Maybe I'm missing something but when I start on a hike, be it a 2 mile day or a 20 mile day, I have 4 in the magazine (.300 win mag) and as get going I usually pull one from a pocket and load it in the chamber (this is depending on surroundings/circumstances and I put the safety on). I have never needed 5 rounds but that's what I carry.

In my emergency gear pocket of my pack I have 3 cheap rounds in case I ever needed them for an emergency, haven't ever used one.

Do you guys carry more? Why and how? Have one of those stock cartridge carriers . . . or maybe a bandolier?

I carry more, a few in each pocket, especially if I have multiple tags, which is almost always the case. Too many in each pocket rattles a lot.

Spitz, It depends. I killed a nice bull a few years ago and we almost ran out of ammo. It was a little different becasue we had some ammo in the Packs. We were packing a buddies elk out, saw some others, dumped the packs and realized we didn't grab much ammo when we jumpedthe elk. LOng story short, not everything happened the way I wanted and I had one shot at the elk when it stepped out. Fortunately it worked. But I told myself I'd never be in that situation again !!

So, I always carry the barrel empty, 3 in the magazine usually one in each pocket for when I'm ready to shoot and about 6 extra. I've been fortunate enough for many years to take animals down in one shot, two max, but I'm always prepared.

I only carry one in the chamber in grizzly country. But I've always got the fifth in either a pocket or the chamber.

I figure if I can't hit something with five shots, I don't deserve it and I suck. If I hit it and wound it with my final shot, I've got my emergency backups in the pack.

I usually carry about a dozen. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I like having a few extras...sometimes when I see a coyote I turn into a mean bastard.

Between what's in my gun and in my pack, usually a box.:eek: Yeh, I know, overkill. Probably go to 10 next year. Though I have never been in a tight spot it always seemed like light weight insurance if I ever did need it. bash away....:D

4 in the rifle and about 10 in a drop down belt cartridge case. rather have to many than to little. Plus could come in handy in a emergency situation.

I only carry one in the chamber in grizzly country. But I've always got the fifth in either a pocket or the chamber.

I figure if I can't hit something with five shots, I don't deserve it and I suck. If I hit it and wound it with my final shot, I've got my emergency backups in the pack.

What happens if you go on a sheep hunt and pack 16 miles in. Would your answer still be the same ?

Bullets are light. Why not carry a few extra ? I agree that 40 strung over your shoulder is a bit excessive... but 10 wouldn't be I think ?

3 in the magazine depending on the caliber im carrying and always have a round chambered. When Im out for a long stretch i will carry an extra 15 rounds or so...

Yeah, I have one of the stock stretchy thingies. Holds 9.

Why? Cuz I don't have to go looking for ammo when I get ready to go. Just grab the rifle and Ta Da ! Not a d@mn thing to do with the # of rounds I'm carrying, just a simple convenience.

Why? Cuz I don't have to go looking for ammo when I get ready to go. Just grab the rifle and Ta Da ! Not a d@mn thing to do with the # of rounds I'm carrying, just a simple convenience.

gotta like those.

...same here.

My tune would definitely change on a sheep hunt, simply becasue of it'd probably be a once in a lifetime hunt. Similarly, if I traveled for a hunt I'd have plenty on hand just in case I needed to re-sight my rifle or wanted to screw around.
I'm mostly talking about a day hunt for deer, elk or antelope. I agree they're light and I have no problem carrying extra. I have a total of eight on any hunt with 5 readily accessible. Never have needed more than three on a big game animal. I need to start shooting coyotes for some fun, my problem is I never see them after I kill something, it's always while another animal is priority and I worry about screwing up the hunt with the shots.

I take one of those 2 plastic shell holders that come in a box of factory ammo, so i guess I take 10.

I have 5 in the gun. 5 in one of those leather shell holders from Cabelas in my pocket. And usually the rest of the Remington rack in my pack(20 total). I have seen some of those worst case senarios.

Usually 4 in my rifle and 10 in one of those cartridge holders that is meant to go an a belt, but I carry it in the inside pocket of my vest. So, 14 total, and I don't recall ever using more than 2 on a hunt, but I figure it's better to have too many than not enough. I'd hate to be in a situation like you see in the movies where they use up all their ammo and then throw the gun at whoever they were trying to shoot.

Five in the gun and five to ten in the uncle mike's buttstock ammo carrier deal. You can never have too much though you never know what may happen.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back